Comic for March 18th, 2017

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Comic for March 18th, 2017

#16 Post by steelabjur »

TinyVoices wrote:Pfft, cmon Lynn. What will you do to uphold the law, anyway?

"Go ahead, call the police. They can't unsnuggle us!"
But for real Lynn, what will you do if Keith just flips you off and walks away?
Niara wrote:Wouldn't this have been the perfect opportunity for Keith to point out that, due to extreme Basitin conservative nature around intimate areas, their bylaws don't actually have a formal, legal 'definition' for sex and gender, because it's taken to be a given and understood... And that as such, No laws are being broken because, by the definitions under which they are currently operating, Keith and Natani are both male?
That might actually work. :grin:
Considering Keith outranks him? What can he do under their law? Challenge him to a fight like Keith did that one guard when he first met Maddie?

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#17 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Me being me, I'm going to slide right on past the foreground conversation (as interesting as it may be) and comment on Natani as usual. :grin:

I find Natani's general demeanor in the last two panels to be quite interesting. As amenon notes, he's kinda just hanging out, and notably he's not even paying attention to the conversation going on right in front of him - it takes Keith forcefully saying his name to get him to look over. Granted he can't understand them, but he's usually rather more engaged with his surroundings. Normally I'd expect him to be watching them and wondering what they were saying, or else to be looking around curiously if he wasn't watching the conversation. Instead, he looks almost subdued, maybe even pensive or introspective. And 'introspective' is not normally what I think of when I imagine Natani.

He could just be tired, of course. It's been a big day, and he's only just gotten vertical again after a week abed. But it feels like more than that to me. He's got a lot to think about, a lot to process, and I think it might be catching up to him. And while here we're focusing on Keith not wanting to leave Natani, in the last comic Natani was just as hesitant about the idea of leaving Keith as he was. Combined with his demeanor here it gives me an impression almost of vulnerability - like he doesn't want to be separated from Keith on an 'emotional comfort' level just as much as on a 'conflicted romantic interest' level. He doesn't want to be alone.

In other words, I think Natani needs a hug. :wink: And that cloak he's holding onto so tightly kinda feels symbolic to me as well as practical - there's only one person here who he trusts like that, one person he trusts to be a safe haven when he's feeling vulnerable. He's not letting Keith go.

Deaththekat
Merchant

#18 Post by Deaththekat »

Keith you a damn lie
The one and only Ottershark!
Resident stoner/metalhead.
It took me 4 years, 8 months, 23 days, 4 hours, and 30 minutes to post 100 times

Warrl
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Warrl »

BadFoMo wrote:So, is Lynn (who is blind in both worlds)
Technically, he only said he can be blind in both worlds.
and Maddie are going to be standing guard outside of Natani's room
Maddie appeared at one point to be crushing on Keith pretty hard. I doubt she currently qualifies to be that close to Keith's room at night when there are other viable options.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#20 Post by CrRAR »

MuonNeutrino wrote:In other words, I think Natani needs a hug. :wink: And that cloak he's holding onto so tightly kinda feels symbolic to me as well as practical - there's only one person here who he trusts like that, one person he trusts to be a safe haven when he's feeling vulnerable. He's not letting Keith go.
Yeah Natani totally needs a hug. Why can't Lynn understand!?! (;_;)

You just gotta remember that Natani's dealing with some very complex feelings rn, ones that he is probably still hashing out as we speak. After the rescue, he was forced under duress to make an impromptu announcement about a very conflicted part of himself and to a group of mixed company at that. Being called out now by Lynn in such a vulnerable state is a reminder of that, and by what we're seeing is probably causing some deep ruminations on his identity.

Now he may be realizing moreso what that spontaneous announcement means for the future of who he is and what he is going forward.

EDIT
Also Lynn's words in Panel 4 are extremely relevant juxtaposed with that panel, because while Lynn is masticating Keith over being a Basitin and chastising him over doing what's right in the eyes of the Basitin because he is a Basitin by the "cards life has dealt us" and what he is "is not a choice we make".

Even not able to understand Lynn's words, both these statements apply twofold to Natani. Think about it. (;_;)

Beautiful panel there for sure. It's "ART" if I ever saw it. :wink:
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#21 Post by MuonNeutrino »

CrRAR wrote:Being called out now by Lynn in such a vulnerable state is a reminder of that, and by what we're seeing is probably causing some deep ruminations on his identity.
Problem is that Natani has no idea what Lynn and Keith are talking about - they're speaking Basitin, which he can't understand. I mean, that probably *is* what he's ruminating over, but not because of Lynn calling him out.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#22 Post by CrRAR »

MuonNeutrino wrote:
CrRAR wrote:Being called out now by Lynn in such a vulnerable state is a reminder of that, and by what we're seeing is probably causing some deep ruminations on his identity.
Problem is that Natani has no idea what Lynn and Keith are talking about - they're speaking Basitin, which he can't understand. I mean, that probably *is* what he's ruminating over, but not because of Lynn calling him out.
Argh... sorry. I articulated kinda wrong. I guess I mean them being called out by Rose/Flora really, just the situation right now as it's developing. They are opting to implore for an adjoining room causing some great distress or tension from where their relationship is right now. Now, while the Keith/Lynn exchange is happening Natani is kind of reflecting on that I think. Lynn's obvious aggressiveness toward Keith about something Natani knows nothing about is only prolonging the moments they're out in the hall kind of still exposed in a way.

Ultimately if these aren't Natani's thoughts it really just comes down to not being able to be with Keith. The sole person that has so far driven Natani to establish a more solid identity. The romantic part of this and the identity part of their relationship are extremely closely intertwined.
Fight the power!

Warrl
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Warrl »

MuonNeutrino wrote:
We know that Keith speaks Keidran. I'm pretty sure Lynn speaks Keidran. (Yes, he does.) So why did Lynn decide to have this particular conversation in Basitin?

Keeping it private? Questionable. Maddie and Eric both speak Basitin. Rosalyn - as far as Lynn knows - might or might not.

My guess: as long as a relationship between Keith and Natani is a secret, it's a weakness. Unadmitted even to themselves, possibly even more so. Lynn was trying to draw Keith into a public declaration of it, without Natani butting in.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#24 Post by CrRAR »

Warrl wrote:
MuonNeutrino wrote:
We know that Keith speaks Keidran. I'm pretty sure Lynn speaks Keidran. (Yes, he does.) So why did Lynn decide to have this particular conversation in Basitin?

Keeping it private? Questionable. Maddie and Eric both speak Basitin. Rosalyn - as far as Lynn knows - might or might not.

My guess: as long as a relationship between Keith and Natani is a secret, it's a weakness. Unadmitted even to themselves, possibly even more so. Lynn was trying to draw Keith into a public declaration of it, without Natani butting in.
I interpret it kinda that it just has to do with Lynn feeling as though they're Basitin matters that don't require Natani's (or anyone else's, really) opinion. He's advocating on behalf of the Basitin empire as the bureaucratic representative he is. Rules are practically Basitin's lifeblood, afterall.

The rules on the Island are that Basitin women and men live in separate districts and only intermingle more personally during the mating time. Also of note is that there was a specific district for non-basitins. I assume they can't be involved in such rituals. Their society is quite, "efficient and organized" as Keith would say. Which brings us to how do Basitin x Keidran relationships work and how are they viewed in the eyes of the Basitin society (was this ever discussed?).

I can't see Lynn trying the angle of forcing them to officiate the relationship because Lynn wants to be more safe. I see where someone by simply being involved with someone can be leveraged over in a hostage situation or something, yeah...but two separated depressed people are also no advantage to any group dynamic. I just don't see that being on Lynn's mind. Though yeah I don't know what Lynn would do if Keith admitted it being a 100% legit relationship. Just probably an even more heated argument and possibly...
steelabjur wrote:What can [Lynn] do under their law? Challenge him to a fight like Keith did that one guard when he first met Maddie?
Thing is, Keith & Natani just aren't 100% at that point yet to admit it (Natani mostly being the one needing to work things out personally). Honestly, if Lynn wanted he could argue that them being involved together is actually the weakness itself considering Keith almost charged onto a burning boat.

Also, they hugged in front of everyone already and the kiss was seen at least by Lynn, Maddie, Kat and I assume a few more of the group, plus don't forget the chin diddle. Doesn't everyone kind of already know?

Honestly the best solution to this is somehoooow to get Lynn's ears flapping again. He'd forget alllll about those pesky rules.

Where's Sealeen when you need her? XD
Fight the power!

Hayate
The Hidden User

#25 Post by Hayate »

Oh Lynn, you need to learn to love... Keith and Natani simply cannot be apart after all that's happened! Tradition be damned!
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#26 Post by BadFoMo »

I am sorry, but I must role-play.
steelabjur wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:Pfft, cmon Lynn. What will you do to uphold the law, anyway?

"Go ahead, call the police. They can't unsnuggle us!"
But for real Lynn, what will you do if Keith just flips you off and walks away?
Considering Keith outranks him? What can he do under their law? Challenge him to a fight like Keith did that one guard when he first met Maddie?
Lynn: As the ambassador's personal assistant, I am in charge of the documents which allow him to reenter our homeland. The law states that if I legitimately deem him unfit for the position, I am legally allowed to destroy said documents and serve papers of banishment.

Lynn: Of course he could try to eliminate me in order to try and keep his reentry documents intact and destroy his papers of banishment, but returning to our homeland without your personal secretary can also be grounds for banishment. It's much easier to inform them of what's about to happen, challenge them to a duel to keep it from happening, and once I have won and they are too weak to fight back, I destroy their reentry documents and then serve them their papers of banishment.

Lynn: Although almost always an open and shut case, they are allowed to send a letter to the King (or more boldly, return) to try and argue why they should have their banishment overturned and new documents of reentry issued to them.

Warrl wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:So, is Lynn (who is blind in both worlds)
Technically, he only said he can be blind in both worlds.
Alright then, someone who is allowed to potentially betray break that law. I don't mean to sound like I'm arguing, it's just that I think he would be allowed to enter her room and see to her well-being. Mostly just to screw with Keith, add turmoil to the Keith X Natani relationship and possibly make the more rabid fans hate him.
Warrl wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:and Maddie are going to be standing guard outside of Natani's room
Maddie appeared at one point to be crushing on Keith pretty hard. I doubt she currently qualifies to be that close to Keith's room at night when there are other viable options.
I thought she would be guarding from inside the room with Natani; and potentially fuel fantasies for a girl’s sleepover party between the two of them.

Anyway, I tried to mention this in the Stream, but how far did they get away from the stairs in panel two of the previous page? It looks like they're still there in panel four, but the walls don't match up. Does anyone think we can get away with claiming that, between those two panels, they were still walking and simply went up a little bit into one of the wings?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Deaththekat
Merchant

#27 Post by Deaththekat »

Dadrobit wrote:
Lynn wrote:Unfortunately, for many, what we are is not a choice we make. We're stuck with the cards life has dealt us.
You know, the obvious subtext of that statement being relevant to both Keith and Natani is obvious, but I wonder if Lynn recites that as an affirmation that he himself is not content with his own hand...
OoooOOOOoohhhHHHHH

I like your way of thinking friendo
The one and only Ottershark!
Resident stoner/metalhead.
It took me 4 years, 8 months, 23 days, 4 hours, and 30 minutes to post 100 times

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#28 Post by CrRAR »

BadFoMo wrote:
Warrl wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:and Maddie are going to be standing guard outside of Natani's room
I thought she would be guarding from inside the room with Natani; and potentially fuel fantasies for a girl’s sleepover party between the two of them.
They would obviously just continuously banter about how super awesome Keith is and how he is the best Basitin evurrrr. Till it degenerates into who is the bestest Keith fan, resulting in a heated contest where they compete in creating increasingly absurd improvised Keith-themed apparel and room decor. Hats, pillowcases, lamp shades, everything! all graced with that timeless expression: ¬_¬

..or mayyybe the idea of Keith all lonely and heartbroken will stoke Maddie's stalker-flame once again!

Playin' the rebound long-game? Clevvver Maddie, clev-er.
Fight the power!

NiWo21k
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#29 Post by NiWo21k »

And again seperated by bureaucracy - poor Keith/Natani.

But there is still the possibillity of doing the same as Alaric and try to find another loophole in their law - ok, this would take more than a night....

I have to admit i like how Tom drew Natani on this page - looks a little bit lost in the third to last panel.
Just an average internet user and :natani: & :raine: fan

My head is full of ideas, but i cant get them on paper - Please brain start thinking about important stuff.

Avatar: a reinterpretation of my own character by Claarin

amenon
Grand Templar

#30 Post by amenon »

CrRAR wrote:
amenon wrote:For some reason I really like Natani's meandering in the background here. And the cloak being too short is a really cute detail.
It is both quite spectacularly poignant and amusing at the same time, isn't it? :squirrel:
And look at those ankles. Panel 4 is practically a basitin centerfold :P

On the discussion of whether Keith and Natani are in a place to admit that they're in a relationship: I think they are, actually. In a way, that's exactly what this is about. I think at this moment, if you pushed either of them, as Lynn is here pushing Keith, you'd end up with 'screw you, I'm with him.' And if there were excuses -- Keith has a few here -- if you called them on it, that wouldn't change anything.

Maybe they don't know anything much past that for sure, but they know how much they matter to each other. They know that letting the other go is a mistake they don't want to make. (So as is life, they'll make other mistakes :P)
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]: