T&F In the Open

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shar
Citizen

T&F In the Open

#1 Post by Shar »

So, something i have been wondering for ages but the comic has provided no real answer to. Why are :trace: and :flora: hiding there relationship? As far as we have seen there are no laws regulating that and its obviously not uncommon for the two to be attracted to each other (*Cough* :eric: ). In fact when the group was on the :Lynn: :keith: :Maddie: islands :trace: even used there relationship to keep :flora: out of trouble indicating that in some situations its even beneficial to be in the open about it. even in the worst possible cannon scenario the all that will happen is that people go "Eww, that's gross, your weird". So why is it every time people ask they pretend (usually unconvincingly) that they aren't a couple?

We see it over and over again, even as recently as the stay at the inn with :adira: and :maeve:. So the real question is, if there isn't a benefit to hiding and there are benefits to not hiding.... well... why are they hiding at all? Its further compounded by the fact that :trace: and :flora: are technically already married, or, that what was eluded to by flora when she said if she gives the flower to him in return its official. If anyone has a theory or perhaps has seen some cannon event that i have missed please chime in here.

Ddraig
Templar Master

Re: T&F In the Open

#2 Post by Ddraig »

Shar wrote:So, something i have been wondering for ages but the comic has provided no real answer to. Why are :trace: and :flora: hiding there relationship? As far as we have seen there are no laws regulating that and its obviously not uncommon for the two to be attracted to each other (*Cough* :eric: ). In fact when the group was on the :Lynn: :keith: :Maddie: islands :trace: even used there relationship to keep :flora: out of trouble indicating that in some situations its even beneficial to be in the open about it. even in the worst possible cannon scenario the all that will happen is that people go "Eww, that's gross, your weird". So why is it every time people ask they pretend (usually unconvincingly) that they aren't a couple?

We see it over and over again, even as recently as the stay at the inn with :adira: and :maeve:. So the real question is, if there isn't a benefit to hiding and there are benefits to not hiding.... well... why are they hiding at all? Its further compounded by the fact that :trace: and :flora: are technically already married, or, that what was eluded to by flora when she said if she gives the flower to him in return its official. If anyone has a theory or perhaps has seen some cannon event that i have missed please chime in here.
My current reasoning/impression is that it's because freeing (bought) slaves is illegal, and the way Flora normally acts is nothing like a slave. That Edinmire has free keidran running about with humans kind of upsets this theory, but most of the places Trace has been (since losing his memory) expected that any keidran with a human was a slave. maybe they just haven't given that thought yet.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Warrl »

Ddraig wrote:My current reasoning/impression is that it's because freeing (bought) slaves is illegal, and the way Flora normally acts is nothing like a slave. That Edinmire has free keidran running about with humans kind of upsets this theory, but most of the places Trace has been (since losing his memory) expected that any keidran with a human was a slave. maybe they just haven't given that thought yet.
But, in general, freeing slaves is NOT illegal. The exception is slave-traders (ptooie), who are also apparently-uniquely required to have control spells on their slaves. And then there's at least one exception to the exception, so Eric may free Katherine.

Flora is also officially, formally freed, although neither she nor Trace was aware of that until after they visited the tavern.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#4 Post by Ddraig »

Warrl wrote:
Ddraig wrote:My current reasoning/impression is that it's because freeing (bought) slaves is illegal, and the way Flora normally acts is nothing like a slave. That Edinmire has free keidran running about with humans kind of upsets this theory, but most of the places Trace has been (since losing his memory) expected that any keidran with a human was a slave. maybe they just haven't given that thought yet.
But, in general, freeing slaves is NOT illegal. The exception is slave-traders (ptooie), who are also apparently-uniquely required to have control spells on their slaves. And then there's at least one exception to the exception, so Eric may free Katherine.

Flora is also officially, formally freed, although neither she nor Trace was aware of that until after they visited the tavern.
The in-world definition of 'slave trader' seems awfully loose, and in what practice we can see, it seems to imply that the law actually applies to bought slaves; as in only slaves that were born into captivity can be released, thus why Eric may free Katherine but not Mike or Evals. Apparently, though, Katherine is also required to have a control spell on her despite not having been bought (another issue with Flora acting normal). It's fairly vague (and, in the case of Katherine's freedom, somewhat misleading) language that gets used to describe the relevant laws, but from what they said (and corrected, where possible, by what the characters specifically explain can be done legally), the laws are that !) bought/sold keidran cannot be freed, nor may one knowingly sell them to someone who will free them, and 2) all enslaved keidran require control spells.

note: 2 is dependent on the definition of a 'slave trader' being someone who has bought or sold an enslaved keidran (the question of Katherine's freedom does conflict with with most any definition you can apply), not necessarily someone whose primary income is from the trading of them.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by aitaituo »

The legal structure of the Human Kingdom has always been a mystery to me. Under what authority do the Templar pass and enforce laws? What are the limits of their jurisdiction? Do they even have token royal approval?

Eric and his brother both specify that breaking Templar laws is only an issue if the Templar become directly aware of it. It often seems like the Templar have a Soviet-style (1917-1918) parallel government.

Shar
Citizen

#6 Post by Shar »

I think your missing the bigger point however. Regardless of what people assume nothing keeps them from being in the open, if someone assumes Flora is a slave nothing is keeping trace from going "How dare you that's my wife!". Yes i realize that particular word choice is very un-tracelike but the point is that nothing is stopping it from happening. Officially speaking lore seems to indicate that they are married (hence the whole locket and flower thing), so why are they hiding it?

Think about it, flora is a free person, legally even as even if someone knew her previously Ki gave her the papers so it cant really be questioned. Plus as i pointed out before it played to there advantage in "Bastonia" by extending diplomatic immunity. Even now, Trace is technically Duke of Endnmire so even if someone wanted to make a big deal of it hes basically above the law as a noble.

In the end the real question remains... Why are they hiding it at all? Especially considering that as far as we know they are married and even having a kid? whats little (Insert baby name here) going to think when he sees his parents "oh noone can ever know were a family" with the baby clearly on its way soon ,from an in comic perspective of course, this is becoming a bigger issue than ever.