Retcons, and Other Changes to the Comic

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ddraig
Templar Master

Re: Retcons, and Other Changes to the Comic

#16 Post by Ddraig »

amenon wrote:[...] [Note: This has an error on page 404. A sentence that should have been removed wasn't.]
I see what you did there
Some of the more interesting changes I noted:
  • [...]
  • There is no new Grand Templar early on.
  • [...]
On that note, another user posted this in which I noticed that while the person(s) who set the bounty on Trace in the beginning was changed to the Templar Council vice the Grand Templar, it still mentions a new Grand Templar here.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

amenon
Grand Templar

#17 Post by amenon »

Ddraig wrote:
amenon wrote:[...] [Note: This has an error on page 404. A sentence that should have been removed wasn't.]
I see what you did there.
The error was honest! But I, too, was amused by the page it happened on xD
Ddraig wrote:On that note, another user posted this in which I noticed that while the person(s) who set the bounty on Trace in the beginning was changed to the Templar Council vice the Grand Templar, it still mentions a new Grand Templar here.
That's quite a bit later on, so it's entirely possible that there is a new Grand Templar by that point. Just not within a few days of Trace's disappearance. (Indeed, that's maybe two days before Roderic, asking Eric about them, describes Trace as the 'former Grand Templar')

In a similar vein, here's someone looking for the Grand Templar in the same timeframe.

Incidentally, 193 and 237 are both pages that were removed from the books. (So even if they should have changed, they perhaps wouldn't have, because they were cut rather than edited. But there's no inconsistency, so I don't see any reason to assume it's an oversight.)

I.e, tl;dr: A new Grand Templar emerged while group A was lost in the woods.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

LordWeirdo
Traveler

#18 Post by LordWeirdo »

amenon wrote: Some of the more interesting changes I noted:
  • A Tower was explained as a 'Templar Mana Battery', rather than a Templar barracks.
  • The rules of the game have changed; it seems Ephemural could have killed Trace.
  • A bit of a shift in slavery law; I'm no longer sure offhand if non-traders are required to use obedience spells.
  • 'Militia' is no longer a career option for young!Natani.
  • Nora's description of young Trace now omits the phrase "You were shy and had quite a temper, but you weren't a bad kid." Curious.
  • Albion didn't kill the basitin guard he bonked at the inn
Oh, and we no longer have a canon height/weight for Euchre and Keith from their standoff.
This list was just what I needed while reading this thread. xD I trimmed this list down to what I know has changed just since I first read through TK early last month. Other things on the list may fall into that category as well, but I'm not sure.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Dadrobit »

amenon wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:54 pm
[*]Alaric's tail wag was removed. Tom is a monster (;_;)
Spoiler!
I return from the depths, bringing scripts. Here, you can find the search-based transcript, before and after. (The one below is the old one; the one above is the new one.) [And search itself still isn't updated. Still need to do a bit of janitorial. Probably tomorrow.]

Since I imagine many people don't have diffing tools on hand, here's a 4 megabyte (yes, really...) HTML rendition of a visual diff. You're going to need 1500 horizontal pixels, or to improvise. If somebody wants to make a more usable presentation, please do :P (And I'm a little unsure how bl.ocks operates, hopefully that'll stay accessible.) [Note: This has an error on page 404. A sentence that should have been removed wasn't.]

Some of the more interesting changes I noted:
  • Karen's nose was downgraded. (She's just got keidran hearing.)
  • Trace's murderosity (when Sythe is talking Flora into killing him) was downgraded to 'hundreds' (but Ephemural still taunts him with hundreds of thousands, later.)
  • There is no new Grand Templar early on.
  • Red is now an ex-Templar rather than a Templar. Except at one point where he's still a Templar. But at least Maren isn't, anymore.
  • Keith's explanation of heat went from 'five times a year' to 'a few times a year.'
  • A Tower was explained as a 'Templar Mana Battery', rather than a Templar barracks.
  • The rules of the game have changed; it seems Ephemural could have killed Trace.
  • Natani is more accustomed to being injured
  • A bit of a shift in slavery law; I'm no longer sure offhand if non-traders are required to use obedience spells.
  • The timeline has shifted towards self-consistency. (And it follows that the story is probably somewhere in its third month.)
  • Keith speaks in basitin after being nutted by Natani, which I thought was a cute touch. (And relatedly, {} are now the canonical tags for basitin speech. I always preferred [] (;_;))
  • The comic now has +1 BWOM!
  • It was clarified what Keith was tempted to do. (I always figured it was to get with Natani; avwolf, I think, insisted it must have been a kiss; and in true Tom fashion, the answer is neither and makes more sense than either.)
  • Plausible keidran life expectancy has been nudged up. It's no longer necessarily the case that there's anything unnatural going on with Euchre and Rose. (Euchre does seem a bit spry for what must be a keidran equivalent of a centenarian, but we have no comparison. Keidran could stay more fit than humans into their old age.) On the other hand, Euchre is pretty clearly odd and magical, so.
  • The panel 3/4 exchange here is now a thing of pure beauty :grin:
  • 'Militia' is no longer a career option for young!Natani.
  • Slavery in general and Eric in particular may have been de-emphasized at a few places, but all the pieces to his rapey puzzle are, alas, still in play.
  • Randal no longer refers to his students as children, possibly to make Trace a slightly less awful human being.
  • Nora's description of young Trace now omits the phrase "You were shy and had quite a temper, but you weren't a bad kid." Curious.
  • Nora now sets the time of Saria's death as "six seasons ago", and I can't figure out why. (Yes, it's still 4+2 years ago.) Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
  • Alaric's Keith Statue Project was now started six months ago, rather than a year ago. This coincides with Laura's arrival on the island, and is a bloody nice touch.
  • Alaric's tail wag was removed. Tom is a monster (;_;)
  • Keith and Laura talking mixed human/keidran around Natani. Really neat.
  • The details of Trace's and Flora's fight around Eric painting her again changed a bit, and it reads a lot better now.
  • Albion didn't kill the basitin guard he bonked at the inn
As for a random art change, Tom is now wanted for crimes against perspective :P

Oh, and we no longer have a canon height/weight for Euchre and Keith from their standoff.
TinyVoices wrote:
amenon wrote:I think this is incorrect. A surprising (to me) number of pages are not present in the books, so the feeling I get is that the web canon is more complete.
I do not own the physical copies, but I am more inclined to believe what friends who do own the copies have told me. Either Tom himself or else side by side proof would need to be shown to make me believe otherwise.
Well, for the benefits of others reading, the web canon is indeed more complete. Neither is a strict subset of the other, but the web version has more pages (after discounting fillers.)

Here's most of what's not in book 1:
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/25/
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/69/
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/89/
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/93/
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/94/
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/102/
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/103/

Book 1 is about a wash page count wise; book 2 has more pages removed than added. Book 3 might actually have all the same pages, just in a different order. I'm pretty sure there were no additions, and I don't remember any removals. I guess this is something I'll end up looking at too...
Necro with a bit of followup on this particular post.

I brought up with Tom after a recent stream some of the retcons done to the comic and as it turns out, some of these were unintentional. In updating the archive, some of the layers that were done later on in the images were not rendered and thus caused some of the missing pieces like Alaric's tail and the blood on Randal's clothes going missing. Tom is now aware of this and may take some time to fix this at some point.

amenon
Grand Templar

#20 Post by amenon »

Dadrobit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm Tom is now aware of this and may take some time to fix this at some point.
Well, that, or he'll forget again. Place your bets :P
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21 Post by Dadrobit »

amenon wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:16 pm
Dadrobit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm Tom is now aware of this and may take some time to fix this at some point.
Well, that, or he'll forget again. Place your bets :P
Considering this just happened earlier today...
Tom wrote: I'm so absentminded...
Iliar wrote: What's the matter?
Tom wrote: Nothing. I just start things and then forget what I was doing.
unstedyphoenix wrote: So ...sometimes your mind walks away and is absent?
30 minutes later
Tom wrote: Sorry, I forgot I was talking here. Yes.
unsteddyphoenix wrote: what were you doing that you forgot?
Tom wrote:Everything all the time
It's a helluva gambler who takes on that bet. There's reason I specified "may" in the update. :mrgrin:

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#22 Post by TinyVoices »

Dadrobit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm
amenon wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:54 pm
[*]Alaric's tail wag was removed. Tom is a monster (;_;)
Necro with a bit of followup on this particular post.

I brought up with Tom after a recent stream some of the retcons done to the comic and as it turns out, some of these were unintentional. In updating the archive, some of the layers that were done later on in the images were not rendered and thus caused some of the missing pieces like Alaric's tail and the blood on Randal's clothes going missing. Tom is now aware of this and may take some time to fix this at some point.
Lmao the greatest 366 day necro I've ever seen.

That is some good news I suppose....

Though it's been years now since the massive wave of retcons and I've still not reread the comic. Guess I can't complain about the retcons, then. At least not until an argument is flawed because of retcon and not memory blur.

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#23 Post by Neptune »

I heard that the record age for a Keidran was bumped from Euchre's 24~26 to 46. Might be false, but that's what I heard.
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#24 Post by Hulk10 »

So what I'm hearing is that the book forms of the original comics have a difference drawing style than the web series?
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.