The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Help Transcribe Twokinds! [Project Closed]

#1 Post by Turaiel »

Hey all,

I'm working on making some improvements to the Twokinds website. In order to do this, I'm updating our database of comics to include more information to make your experience better. One of these new pieces of data is dialogue transcripts.

This is where you come in! I need a number of volunteers to sign up to participate in a crowdsourced transcription project. If you participate, your job will be either to write out the dialogue of a block of comics (as well as tag them), or validate another volunteer's work. Together, we'll be able to easily get through All 950ish comic pages!

You can sign up to join the project here: https://goo.gl/forms/DWiPtS4HfvGLGUh92

Participants in the project will also get some sneak previews of the website updates to come, as I continue my work on it. Just don't spoil anything for anyone else~

After you've signed up, your application will be reviewed and you will be informed whether you have been accepted to participate via email. If you are accepted, you will need both a Google and Discord account so that you can access the files and chat.

I'm hoping to get 10-15 people together to make this project really work. Hope you can sign up!

Thanks!

Edit: Welp! amenon has helpfully provided a dataset that is more complete than I imagined, so I'll just be using that. Thanks to those who did sign up.
Website Administrator

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Help Transcribe Twokinds!

#2 Post by Ketzal »

Well, there's my submission

It was weird though, it immediately said I wasn't eligible after finishing the form for some reason XP

Turaiel
Administrator

#3 Post by Turaiel »

Ketzal wrote:Well, there's my submission

It was weird though, it immediately said I wasn't eligible after finishing the form for some reason XP
That did not work how anticipated. Fixed!
Website Administrator

amenon
Grand Templar

#4 Post by amenon »

Calm down, amenon. You are being way too negative to the point where this can reasonably be considered flaming. His previous actions frustrate me too in light of what he's asking, but that's no way to be treating someone here.

~Yash
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Turaiel
Administrator

Re: Help Transcribe Twokinds! [Project Closed]

#5 Post by Turaiel »

Sorry for not responding over the weekend - I was out of town and only had my phone. This data set is much larger than I thought it would be. I will use this to generate the data files, and of course credit you for your work. Thanks.
Website Administrator

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: Help Transcribe Twokinds! [Project Closed]

#6 Post by amenon »

Here's the transcript again, for those who missed it.

A usage note that I previously forgot to include: In search, the language tags (<> for keidran, [] for basitin) are inferred from the language. So if you want those in the text itself, you'll have to add them, and the set won't match the comic exactly. (There will be slightly more tagged text, since Tom often omits the tags. But only slightly more, because it's usually impossible to say for sure what the language is with how many of the characters are multilingual.)

I also haven't intentionally reproduced any typos, except ones that could maybe if you squint hard enough not be. (Like Maddie saying 'lanturn', which I always rather liked for whatever reason.)

I'd be happy to provide any further data from search, like which characters are present where.
Turaiel wrote:Sorry for not responding over the weekend - I was out of town and only had my phone. This data set is much larger than I thought it would be. I will use this to generate the data files, and of course credit you for your work. Thanks.
I'm not impressed by your thinking I wouldn't have what you needed, because to be useful the set needs to be complete (and at any rate, all one needs to do is ask.) I could have reasonably been missing the formatting, but even if I was, adding that to the script is a few hours of work, while transcribing the whole thing is closer to weeks. Nor am I impressed that you would launch this at a time when you're not available -- unless, of course, you were responding to an emergency.

But I will say that I have been impressed with how you responded to my criticism, and how you conducted yourself when we spoke on IRC earlier.

-

Obviously, the matter is settled now, but since my post was edited and is no longer self-explanatory, I feel like I should make a note for the permanent record. So here's a modest after action report of my part in this:

Thursday sometime, I saw this, and posted my initial reply, expressing my bafflement and concern at Turaiel's undertaking, since I had already offered him this data -- for the new website project -- over two years ago. He said at the time that he'd rather do it himself. Since that was clearly not a concern anymore, I re-extended my offer, saying I would put it into whatever format he needed it in, if he got back to me with the spec Friday or Saturday.

On Friday, I checked if he had responded (he hadn't), then checked if he'd seen it (and he had; his last login was Friday morning.)

Friday and Saturday, nothing further.

On Sunday, I decided to go ahead with my technical preparations despite not having heard back. My primary concern was to shut this down before people put time into it, and I figured I could produce a format that was versatile enough for whatever the requirements were, anyway, and probably with less work on my part. But I also heard -- after inquiring with Ketzal on IRC -- that there was no apparent movement on the project, so I didn't rush it.

On Monday, I saw that Turaiel had been active on IRC, and so definitely could have gotten back to me if he'd cared to. No longer overly concerned with his specific requirements, I finished my tooling, generated the transcript, and re-posted my reply (that's how you do it when you want to bump something you're still the last post in with new information; delete and post again), providing the data, and empathically reiterating my concern that he was asking for tens of hours of completely pointless work, out of volunteers, seemingly acting in an official capacity.

Throughout all this, I was not polite, and did not go at all out of my way to be kind, but I don't think I was being unfair. But of course, I respect the moderator decision that I was excessive. I misjudged what was appropriate for this forum.

P.S: The script is about 100k words long -- a solid book. That's actually longer than all of my (released) Twokinds smutfics put together! (So why not give my stories a try, since clearly any fan of Twokinds likes to read? :P)

P.P.S: avwolf, when you see this; shoot me a PM for the original. I'd like your opinion, not as a moderator, but as a friend, and as someone who understands what I'm supposed to be.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]: