#1 Post by Siergiejew »

GO VOTE!!!

"It's actually not much different from how it is now, to be honest."
As usual, it was unusual.

Girault
Citizen

Re: Voting incentive for Jan 11, 2017

#2 Post by Girault »

Huh. It's really not, though the drawing is still awesome.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#3 Post by BadFoMo »

Siergiejew wrote:"It's actually not much different from how it is now, to be honest."
In addition to that alt text, we have a new Link-Back-To-The-Main-Comic's-Front-Page-Header for the voting incentives.

I think I like how Maddie seems to be breaking the fourth wall by placing her nose up against the inside of the screen.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Hayate
The Hidden User

#4 Post by Hayate »

Hahaha, yes! Gender benders are the best xD
It's really not that much of a different dynamic that way, is it?
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#5 Post by Schrodinger »

This is my favorite gender-bender pic on the internet.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#6 Post by SirJahar »

Hayate wrote: It's really not that much of a different dynamic that way, is it?
Well, the confidence level.

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Cyon »

Schrodinger wrote:This is my favorite gender-bender pic on the internet.
Keith totally fits as a girl, he's a natural! Although for him it's just as awkward as we'd expect :P
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-

amenon
Grand Templar

#8 Post by amenon »

So I'm about to be a weeee bit critical of this one.

Something about this one has been niggling at me ever since I saw it drawn on that very first sketch stream -- it felt... empty to me -- but it never quite gelled for me what it was until I saw it again now. Essentially, this isn't Keith and Natani, at least not to me. A huge part of who Natani is -- of what Natani's and Keith's relationship is -- is rooted in Natani's issues with his body. One possible payoff of both Natani's character arc and their relationship arc would involve Natani rocking Keith's world with his -- or her, or both, or just plain Natani's -- breasts out. But this isn't that, because in a world where Natani just plain has a male body, Natani isn't Natani. (And while groundwork has been laid for the possibility that Natani may actually have a male body at some point in the future... if it should come to pass in the comic, it would have to be after he's -- in storytelling terms -- earned it, by making the best of his current situation. It can't be the resolution itself, because it would be cheap and empty. So that's this picture, to me, then; cheap and empty.)

But it's just a bit of AU fun, right? What's the big deal? Well, none as such. I love genderbending stuff, and while I think Natani and Keith specifically are a really bad target for it, for the above reasons, I'd probably still be on board on general principle. But... when this picture isn't Natani and Keith, but rather Joe Random Wolf and Jane Random Basitin... or still Natani and Keith, if you wish, but such a AU-removed Natani and Keith that they don't really count as Natani and Keith... that's when this picture really becomes unfortunate.

The original had a thought bubble with "Oh no! He's hot!" But this doesn't, and without it, and with the posing... Keith does not look happy to be there. What this calls to mind for me, more than anything, are those much-too-frequent anime and manga scenes where a girl needs to be rescued from getting raped by an opportunistic guy. And the background sure doesn't help, since that's an absolute staple of beach episodes. I'd even guess that that's why it is a beach setting; Tom subconsciously mapping the scenario to what felt familiar. The next moment in the sequence would be a concerned friend getting her out of there.

To be clear, I don't think that was anyone's intention with this picture. But that's how it looks to me, and so, yeah, I don't really like the picture, no.

Working backwards, how could this be decreepified?
  • To stay as close to this as possible, make the place more clearly populated, to lower the stakes; or better yet, give Keith a friend in the picture and make them amused/unconcerned.
  • To veer away, change Keith's disposition from defensive to inviting. Rather than being literally against the wall, with her arm raised across her, have her next to the wall, with her hand maybe on Natani's hip, and a rather different expression on her face. Still about to be pushed against the wall, but in the good way :P
  • The thought bubble would, of course, suffice
tl;dr: If this was a motivational poster, the caption would be "Don't forget your pepper spray!"

Sorry if I ruined it for somebody, but I think it's important to be conscious about things.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#9 Post by SirJahar »

I think you're over-thinking side-art.
And I also don't think Nat would stay a male it it was even posible foe them to physicaly become one, so used to being in a female body they are. Love it or hate it, Natani's body is their body, damnit! And no-one gets to tell Natani what happens to that body.
Just my take on it.

And this doesn't have to be fear, it could juat be shock.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#10 Post by MuonNeutrino »

amenon wrote:The original had a thought bubble with "Oh no! He's hot!" But this doesn't, and without it, and with the posing... Keith does not look happy to be there. What this calls to mind for me, more than anything, are those much-too-frequent anime and manga scenes where a girl needs to be rescued from getting raped by an opportunistic guy. And the background sure doesn't help, since that's an absolute staple of beach episodes. I'd even guess that that's why it is a beach setting; Tom subconsciously mapping the scenario to what felt familiar. The next moment in the sequence would be a concerned friend getting her out of there.
Honestly, I've been thinking the same thing, though you articulated it better than the half-formed musings I've had. It just comes across as a bit creepy. Sure, we know that Natani wouldn't do that, and that Keith actually likes Natani rather than being afraid of him, but none of that comes across in the actual picture. If you just look at it in isolation, or don't know the backstory of the characters, it *does* look like a unscrupulous guy creepily hitting on a unwilling female, and using his size advantage to intimidate her and pose a none-too-veiled physical threat to boot.

The easiest fix would probably be some dialogue, as you note, since that wouldn't require any redrawing. Restoring Keith's thought bubble would help by clarifying that he's not afraid, though I'd give Natani something to say as well to add context (something along the general lines of 'how do you like me like this?' or whatever, perhaps) and make it clear that he's not creeping on Keith.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#11 Post by TinyVoices »

"It's actually not much different from how it is now, to be honest."

I dunno. Natani doesn't really tease Keith that much at the moment.

My my Mr. Wolf, what big paws you have.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#12 Post by Schrodinger »

MuonNeutrino wrote:
amenon wrote:The original had a thought bubble with "Oh no! He's hot!" But this doesn't, and without it, and with the posing... Keith does not look happy to be there. What this calls to mind for me, more than anything, are those much-too-frequent anime and manga scenes where a girl needs to be rescued from getting raped by an opportunistic guy. And the background sure doesn't help, since that's an absolute staple of beach episodes. I'd even guess that that's why it is a beach setting; Tom subconsciously mapping the scenario to what felt familiar. The next moment in the sequence would be a concerned friend getting her out of there.
Honestly, I've been thinking the same thing, though you articulated it better than the half-formed musings I've had. It just comes across as a bit creepy. Sure, we know that Natani wouldn't do that, and that Keith actually likes Natani rather than being afraid of him, but none of that comes across in the actual picture. If you just look at it in isolation, or don't know the backstory of the characters, it *does* look like a unscrupulous guy creepily hitting on a unwilling female, and using his size advantage to intimidate her and pose a none-too-veiled physical threat to boot.

The easiest fix would probably be some dialogue, as you note, since that wouldn't require any redrawing. Restoring Keith's thought bubble would help by clarifying that he's not afraid, though I'd give Natani something to say as well to add context (something along the general lines of 'how do you like me like this?' or whatever, perhaps) and make it clear that he's not creeping on Keith.
I can see your points. The loss of the text balloon really does shave off a layer or two of subtext in the image.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Hayate
The Hidden User

#13 Post by Hayate »

amenon wrote:Keith does not look happy to be there. What this calls to mind for me, more than anything, are those much-too-frequent anime and manga scenes where a girl needs to be rescued from getting raped by an opportunistic guy. And the background sure doesn't help, since that's an absolute staple of beach episodes. I'd even guess that that's why it is a beach setting; Tom subconsciously mapping the scenario to what felt familiar. The next moment in the sequence would be a concerned friend getting her out of there.

If this was a motivational poster, the caption would be "Don't forget your pepper spray!"
I think you are reading too much into the whole thing. Keith doesn't so much look like they don't want to be there, or even afraid. Keith is looking right at Nat, not looking around for an escape. Doesn't look like Keith is leaning against the wall as if (s)he were backed into it, they way the leg is up looks as if Keith was leaning there comfortably even. I think Keith is just blushing and sweating because (s)he is caught off guard by how attractive Nat is, and how confident they are in their body. They do kinda love eachother afterall, and this does open some new and interesting options for the couple. (Not just bedroom stuff btw)

Even if it was two total strangers it wouldn't be too bad. Girls aren't as defenceless as they are portrayed in some of those anime. He is wide open for a knee to the groin, and Basitins are natural fighters.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#14 Post by SirJahar »

Hayate wrote: Even if it was two total strangers it wouldn't be too bad. Girls aren't as defenceless as they are portrayed in some of those anime. He is wide open for a knee to the groin, and Basitins are natural fighters.
Or about twenty different unisex methods of take down that don't involve weapons or abusing the male anatomy.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are getting the wrong idea here.
And it also depends on how you read the characters in the main story, I guess.

amenon
Grand Templar

#15 Post by amenon »

Hayate wrote:I think you are reading too much into the whole thing. Keith doesn't so much look like they don't want to be there, or even afraid. Keith is looking right at Nat, not looking around for an escape. Doesn't look like Keith is leaning against the wall as if (s)he were backed into it, they way the leg is up looks as if Keith was leaning there comfortably even. I think Keith is just blushing and sweating because (s)he is caught off guard by how attractive Nat is, and how confident they are in their body.
I think it's mainly the raised arm, and the other arm being pressed against the wall. But really, it's the sum totality. It's kind of a near thing; if she was just blushing, not sweating, that might be enough to tip it the other way for me. But now, it reads like fight or flight. Deer in headlights.
Hayate wrote:They do kinda love eachother afterall, and this does open some new and interesting options for the couple. (Not just bedroom stuff btw)
You have piqued my curiosity; please elaborate :grin:
Hayate wrote:Even if it was two total strangers it wouldn't be too bad. Girls aren't as defenceless as they are portrayed in some of those anime. He is wide open for a knee to the groin, and Basitins are natural fighters.
Sure, but it's precisely that portrayal that I'm taking issue with. And really, if it was male Keith, there would be more pushback from him. So why is female Keith a damsel in distress?
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]: