Comic Page for January 5th, 2017

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lightice
Citizen

Re: Comic Page for January 5th, 2017

#61 Post by Lightice »

MuonNeutrino wrote: ... Actually, that might be one reason to wonder if Euchre might actually *be* doing something. She's quite old in TDM, regardless of exactly which assumptions you make, but while she definitely looks older, she doesn't seem *elderly*. In fact, she looks awfully spry for a keidran whose age falls on the high end of the range where Tom said they typically die of old age. Is that evidence that Euchre is meddling in some way?
I would call it evidence that Keidrans don't have much in the way of old age. At the point they start to look elderly, they're probably already one foot in the grave. I imagine that most of their life consists of healthy adulthood.
amenon wrote: We have Kat at 10, and Flora at 11. Both still seem rather teenage-y to me.
Neither are exactly perfect examples of how an average Keidran would act at that age. They both have pasts as favoured slaves, which has almost certainly kept them more sheltered and out of touch than usual. I'd imagine that most would already be parents at that age, possibly several times over, depending on what their length of pregnancy is.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#62 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Lightice wrote:I would call it evidence that Keidrans don't have much in the way of old age. At the point they start to look elderly, they're probably already one foot in the grave. I imagine that most of their life consists of healthy adulthood.
amenon wrote:Keidran could also just preserve well generally. It's a short enough lifespan without the tail-end of it being taken with infirmity.

Besides; if she went white, how would you tell? :grin:
Yeah, that's the other possibility, and it isn't necessarily an implausible one either. The thing that always comes to mind for me regarding that is Flora's interaction with Euchre in this strip. Now, we know that Euchre is lying about his age and is actually magically extending his lifespan somehow. However, *Flora* doesn't know that, and yet she doesn't bat an eye at his statement, which means that she sees no contradiction between Euchre's obvious physical fitness and general lack of infirmity and his being 21. Now, it's an older comic, so one may want to take it with a grain of salt, but it may still be evidence for the 'aging gracefully' view.

And you'd tell by looking at her beautiful red hair, that's how. :grin:
amenon wrote:
MuonNeutrino wrote:Well, that and Clovis could still have been 10 or even 11, which is young but not quite 'late teens' either.
We have Kat at 10, and Flora at 11. Both still seem rather teenage-y to me.

Still, you have the point. If 7 is just-about-physically-mature, 10 is well into adulthood by lifespan. Mental development is a separate question.
Yeah, I was mostly just referring to physical maturity. *Physically*, if 7 is 'late teens' than 10 has got to be mid-20s at least. As you note, while mental development is related, it's not exactly the same thing.

I too have noted that keidran sometimes seem to act 'young' for their physical maturity, and I think it may partially come from the disconnect between *neurological* development (i.e. the physical maturity of the brain) and the accruing of life experience. By the time a human's brain is finished maturing they've got almost two decades of life experience, but a keidran reaches physical and mental maturity with only half that level of experience at best. They're 'all there', mentally, but they just don't have the same amount of world-wise experience (and hence the sort of 'learned this the hard way' maturity) that a human might - it's a combination of developmental maturity and (lack of) experience that simply doesn't exist for a human growth pattern.

amenon
Grand Templar

#63 Post by amenon »

MuonNeutrino wrote:And you'd tell by looking at her beautiful red hair, that's how. :grin:
Well, she does at least have white streaks in TDM :P
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#64 Post by Schrodinger »

Schrodinger on Dec 19, 2016 wrote:Come on. Group A steps out of the carriages, takes one look at the Legacy estate and Trace exclaims, "Wait, I own that?" Cliches have stood the test of time for a reason, you know.
Eeeeeh, I was close. I'm hesitant to say that's another correct call, though.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

amenon
Grand Templar

#65 Post by amenon »

Schrodinger wrote:
Schrodinger on Dec 19, 2016 wrote:Come on. Group A steps out of the carriages, takes one look at the Legacy estate and Trace exclaims, "Wait, I own that?" Cliches have stood the test of time for a reason, you know.
Eeeeeh, I was close. I'm hesitant to say that's another correct call, though.
It's the correct cliche, so I'd say it counts :P
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]: