Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

SirJahar
Grand Templar

Re: Sketch of the Day

#2266 Post by SirJahar »

As far as characterization,
Its hard to balance what parts you show the audience and when. A character can be deeply complex behind the scene, but if you don't show the audience enough, that depth can seem artificial or even absent.
And add to that pacing. Its extremely hard to properly show what you want to express on any kind of reasonable time scale without having to sacrifice creative control on some level. While I applaud Tom for writing and drawing, even with his recent Editor help... its kept him going slow.

ANYWAY!
I like Kat's reaction to Zen, but its a bit too subtle for my taste for a "Love" at first sight. Maybe a thought bubble? I don't know, it seems lackluster.

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#2267 Post by TheMouse »

I love this! Zen is such a gentleman, and yeah, the cane is only going to help his roguish charm. But Kat is damn adorable here, and Ido think they'd be a really good pair.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#2268 Post by Hulk10 »

Being a gentleman can win you a date on occasion.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#2269 Post by Schrodinger »

SirJahar wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:36 am As far as characterization,
Its hard to balance what parts you show the audience and when. A character can be deeply complex behind the scene, but if you don't show the audience enough, that depth can seem artificial or even absent.
And add to that pacing. Its extremely hard to properly show what you want to express on any kind of reasonable time scale without having to sacrifice creative control on some level. While I applaud Tom for writing and drawing, even with his recent Editor help... its kept him going slow.

ANYWAY!
I like Kat's reaction to Zen, but its a bit too subtle for my taste for a "Love" at first sight. Maybe a thought bubble? I don't know, it seems lackluster.
Something that helps the characterization immensely is that, despite all the fantastical elements, it's very relatable. Sometimes it's not even something said, but something done in the background just out of focus. My favorite page will always be 450 not just because it's the one that introduced me to Twokinds but because of how deep and real the emotions are. I connect with Keith here on a personal level. I've been someone's confidant. I've carried some guilt in my life. We know exactly what is going on in Keith's mind here and it isn't explained to us; it's shown in his words, his body language, and the messages scratched into the walls as he looks into the stormy night. There's a visceral weight to it that makes the scene work so well.

Now, on the topic of the current sketch, I actually like the subtlety here. Kat's search for romance has been played for laughs; dramatic and over-the-top comedy. But this is a good contrast. No launching into some love-at-first-sight fairy tale exaggerations, just simple attraction and charm. I'm perfectly fine with this.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#2270 Post by Hulk10 »

I agree this strip does have a lot of relatable characters in it.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

NuclearBird
Master

#2271 Post by NuclearBird »

Coffee for Landen

That's not enough for even MY morning routine, let alone Landen's.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#2272 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Ruff Sparring

Oh. My. God. This has got to be one of the half-dozen or so cutest Twokinds things I've ever seen. :D

NuclearBird
Master

#2273 Post by NuclearBird »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 pm Ruff Sparring

Oh. My. God. This has got to be one of the half-dozen or so cutest Twokinds things I've ever seen. :D
That would be... an interesting scenario.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#2274 Post by Hulk10 »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 pm Ruff Sparring

I agree it is soooo cute. I do love puppies and kittens.

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#2275 Post by TheMouse »

ThunderVolt wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:01 am I'm not exactly sure how Natani expected to win this. Also, when was "engarde" invented? Isn't it ahead of their times?
En garde is a fencing term, but since no one in the comic is actually speaking a language native to Earth, any translation is going to approximate using the best analogous example available.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#2276 Post by Hayate »

Little pupper Natani is the best thing I've seen all day xD
Though at this point I feel as though fetch might be safer without swords...
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#2277 Post by tony1695 »

Zuko Keith
If I only ever actually watched the show, I'd be better able to appreciate what's going on.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

NuclearBird
Master

#2278 Post by NuclearBird »

tony1695 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 pm Zuko Keith
If I only ever actually watched the show, I'd be better able to appreciate what's going on.
Oof. That hits hard in the childhood.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#2279 Post by Hayate »

All you need to know is everything was fine, then the fire nation attacked
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#2280 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 pm Ruff sparring

I thought Tom couldn't draw anything cuter than Maeve. But as usual the man outdid himself with this adorable puppy natani.

Same here...
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide