Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Sketch of the Day

#3586 Post by aitaituo »

Today we all learn to be grateful for Nora cards from Kat's colored ref sheet requested by Azuma.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#3587 Post by BadFoMo »

Due to previous vote-rigging, tkpolls.com has been updated so you need to be a member of Patreon and support Tom by at least $1.

To put it mildly, this is not exactly liked by many fans. So, I would like to propose a white list in addition to this current method.

My current ideas for getting on this white list include;
  • Pm-ing the voting site owner (Amenon?) for permission to be on this white list. A non-generic personal message from each person wanting to get on this list should be extremely hard for an army of bots to replicate.
  • Having an account (Patreon or Picarto) that is at least one year old. Although this could lead to problems down the line, this could be a good deterrent against bots.
  • Right before the voting starts, users need to fill out one of those ‘I am not a robot’ codes with the picture of a jumbled up series of numbers and uppercase/lowercase letters likely obscured with ‘noise’. Alternatively, it could also simply be just like what TopWebComics does for voting incentives, and be a picture of a character from the comic, a question (Who is this character? What species is this? What color is their hair? Etc.), and a couple choices.

I did have more ideas, but they seemed too easy to manipulate as well/might not work. These include;
  • Having someone in the white list vouch for you after you send your request to join the white list. I feel this could lead to someone getting on the list and then opening the floodgate for bots.
  • Actually having won a sketch suggestion.

Well, those are my ideas. Anyone else have any ideas/see any flaws here?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#3588 Post by MuonNeutrino »

BadFoMo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:34 pmWell, those are my ideas. Anyone else have any ideas/see any flaws here?
Adding a captcha would deter automated rigging, but would be little more than a minor inconvenience for vote brigading or one person manually filling out multiple ballots (which IIRC was half the problem, and the numbers are small enough in this case that having whoever is doing the rigging manually enter the captchas during the generous 10 minute voting period is completely workable). Having an account of a specified duration is, as you note, a temporary solution at best. More generally, making Amenon or whoever manually curate a whitelist seems like a lot of work, especially if it involves forum PMs or other manual verification steps. (That also has potential complaint points in that it doesn't necessarily offer equal access to all forms of 'being a long term fan' - e.g. having a long-time-active forum account is a lot easier to verify than someone who simply attends streams and talks in the chat.)

Honestly, the fact that us non-patrons ever got to vote for the patreon sketches in the first place is kinda an anomaly. I am of course a bit sad that I can't put in my vote for all the Rose sketches anymore, but IMO it's a small sacrifice to make if it stops the vote fraud. I'll accept not getting to vote if it means that I don't have to see blatant cheating like one sketch getting twice as many votes in the first round as everything else put together. I'm still getting stupid quantities of high quality free art from this, I can't really complain if I'm not allowed to vote for it too.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3589 Post by aitaituo »

Was tkpolls something being used during the sketch streams? Does this mean there are philistines I could identify and blame for my sketch ideas never making the cut?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3590 Post by Technic[Bot] »

BadFoMo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:34 pm Due to previous vote-rigging, tkpolls.com has been updated so you need to be a member of Patreon and support Tom by at least $1....
I was not aware of this tkpolls site and I am not on Patreon, really would like to pitch in sometime but my currency is not really strong. But this seems like important for our little community so do you mind if I ask:
What are you talking about and what happened?
MuonNeutrino wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:55 pm Adding a captcha would deter automated rigging, but would be little more than a minor inconvenience for vote brigading or one person manually filling out multiple ballots (which IIRC was half the problem, and the numbers are small enough in this case that having whoever is doing the rigging manually enter the captchas during the generous 10 minute voting period is completely workable).
You can also blacklist an specific IP from doing a POST request on your page after a number of tries. You can circumvent that using a VPN but honestly most of the decent ones charge money and that would probably deter most people.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster

#3591 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Today we have ALL THE FEELS, in:

Weeping Rose

I like the stark composition of this one, the lack of any extraneous details. It really sets the mood of utter desolation - the environment as mirror of Rose's shock and grief.

She needs a hug. Unfortunately, the person she wants to get a hug from ... isn't there anymore. (;_;)

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3592 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Yeah... This sketch is seriously watering my eyes. And those onion rings I ate a moment ago aren't helping me either.

Too bad I can't jump into the sketch for a while to try and comfort her. As someone who has a family member with very little time remaining, I may be able to help her feel better...
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3593 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:17 pm Today we have ALL THE FEELS, in:

Weeping Rose

I like the stark composition of this one, the lack of any extraneous details. It really sets the mood of utter desolation - the environment as mirror of Rose's shock and grief.

She needs a hug. Unfortunately, the person she wants to get a hug from ... isn't there anymore. (;_;)
I might or might not have seen this before but: I am really impressed by Tom thematic range. I know very litle about drawing and art in general but for what i gather being able to convey different emotions is hard. Most people tend to use the same themes, tones and styles over long periods of time but Tom, despite having a nice cheerful style/tone seems comfortable drawing comedy or tragedy. Neither the highest moment of his characters feel watered down nor their lowest of lows feel artificial. Perhaps that is why he managed to make us care about his imaginary people.
Also interesting to see how Trace is not the only person in the universe and that Saria death affected more than him.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3594 Post by aitaituo »

Today, we learn how important ref sheets are for understanding just how humongous King Adelaide really is.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3595 Post by IHeartMaeve »

aitaituo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:00 pm Today, we learn how important ref sheets are for understanding just how humongous King Adelaide really is.
So, according to this sheet, King Adelaide's given name is Jade, due to her unique green eye color. Not what I had expected, but to quote a character I saw in an episode from another interest of mine, "Simple is best!"
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3596 Post by Technic[Bot] »

aitaituo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:00 pm Today, we learn how important ref sheets are for understanding just how humongous King Adelaide really is.
Interesting. Some thoughts:
First of all I always picture most basitins were a shorter than a regular human, but at 1.75 m eh average Bsitin is slightly shorter than me. But even at a normal human height King A. is a giant. Also isn't she too heavy? I mean at those numbers her BMI is 30 or obese. In any case at those numbers I am sure BMI means basically nothing but still...
On the other hand: Topple a towe.? I want to see those numbers and a blueprint of said tower. That makes no sense, not only she would have to lift all the weight of the building she would have to rip the foundations off the ground. And yeah I know in the comic universe toppling a tower by hand is by no means the weirdest thing that has happened, but dammit that makes zero sense.
Also I was not aware they were magic resistant. If i remember correctly we were told that their first incursions on the mainland failed as they were repelled by human mages. I mean is a good balance for the race but does not totally makes that much sense given the world history.
As a side note I love how Basitins all love their order and value the chain of command and all their military fantasy apparatus and whatnot. But as soon a ruler/general/whatever dies there is no clear succession line they just all kill each other for the title.
Also i dunno why but I had the idea she was in her early 70's, I know it makes no sense but I can almost swear i read that somewhere...

Also I just hope TheMouse`sheart can take this sketch and doesn't faint or something...
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3597 Post by tony1695 »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:43 am First of all I always picture most basitins were a shorter than a regular human, but at 1.75 m eh average Bsitin is slightly shorter than me. But even at a normal human height King A. is a giant. Also isn't she too heavy? I mean at those numbers her BMI is 30 or obese. In any case at those numbers I am sure BMI means basically nothing but still...
I'm not 100% certain, but I think there was somewhere that Basitins are much denser than a human of comparable height. Could just be a lifetime of military service (even as a reservist), or a specific evolutionary trait. Extra muscle mass?
Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:43 am On the other hand: Topple a towe.? I want to see those numbers and a blueprint of said tower. That makes no sense, not only she would have to lift all the weight of the building she would have to rip the foundations off the ground. And yeah I know in the comic universe toppling a tower by hand is by no means the weirdest thing that has happened, but dammit that makes zero sense.
It doesn't specify what kind of tower, or rather what it was made of. A siege tower, or a watch tower made entirely (or mostly) of wood? Not entirely impossible, unlikely but not impossible.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:43 am Also I was not aware they were magic resistant. If i remember correctly we were told that their first incursions on the mainland failed as they were repelled by human mages. I mean is a good balance for the race but does not totally makes that much sense given the world history.
Basitin magic resistance has been a thing since at least the Basitin Isles arc. It was mentioned as one of the primary difficulties in teaching the race to wield magic, and that forcing magic past that resistance actually causes severe brain damage.
As for being repelled by human mages, it's likely that the Basitins were expecting siege weapons of some sort. A single person throwing enough fire and lightning to destroy a ship probably caused enough of a panic that they retreated to reevaluate the situation.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:43 am As a side note I love how Basitins all love their order and value the chain of command and all their military fantasy apparatus and whatnot. But as soon a ruler/general/whatever dies there is no clear succession line they just all kill each other for the title.
Seems like a strange thing to not have specific orders for what to do in the event of a king's death. Or maybe they learned from the past, where someone wholly unqualified was given the position after the previous king passed.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:43 am Also I just hope TheMouse`sheart can take this sketch and doesn't faint or something...
Just get the mop ready.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3598 Post by aitaituo »

The only way the tower thing could be anything other than legend is if it was non-permanent tower like a wood watchtower or siege tower. But even then the world record for deadlifting/squats are around a thousand pounds and the density of most wood is in the 25-35 pounds per cubic foot range, so it'd have to be a fairly dinky tower even to just tilt it enough to topple. I don't think it's physically possible to freelift any building off a permanent foundation.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster

#3599 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:43 amBut even at a normal human height King A. is a giant. Also isn't she too heavy? I mean at those numbers her BMI is 30 or obese. In any case at those numbers I am sure BMI means basically nothing but still...
I have a feeling that BMI is just not meant for people *that* huge. The first point of comparison I could come up with off the top of my head was Andre the Giant. The wiki page lists him as 7'4" and 520 lb during his wrestling career - in other words, only 2" taller than Adelaide but 200 lb heavier, and as can be seen in the accompanying image, even at that weight he's oversized but hardly morbidly obese. Tom once mentioned in the comments to a patreon sketch (annoyingly, I can't find it now) that Adelaide's size is also due to gigantism, so Andre may even be an appropriate comparison. Given that, and given her muscular-but-still-not-bulky sort of build, I think her weight is probably not too ridiculous for her height.
Also I was not aware they were magic resistant. If i remember correctly we were told that their first incursions on the mainland failed as they were repelled by human mages. I mean is a good balance for the race but does not totally makes that much sense given the world history.
I don't think the magic resistance itself has explicitly been brought up in-story - the fact that they can't *use* magic, and that forcing it harms them, yes, but not explicitly that they're resistant to it - but Tom has mentioned it a few times in various unofficial places like stream chats, along with a sort of indirect reference in Prank Pixie Panic. It does make Sirus's almost casual magical obliteration of the Arms general somewhat scarier in hindsight, given that he presumably ought to have been second only to Adelaide in strength (and therefore, magic resistance) - just how powerful *is* Sirius?
As a side note I love how Basitins all love their order and value the chain of command and all their military fantasy apparatus and whatnot. But as soon a ruler/general/whatever dies there is no clear succession line they just all kill each other for the title.
I'll note that it doesn't necessarily say that it was some sort of no-holds-barred free-for-all or something - all it says is that there was a 'grueling week-long contest'. That could just as easily mean a week-long organized trial/competition type deal - it strikes me as somewhat unlikely that such an organized people as the basitin wouldn't have a set of rules to govern the process of selecting a new king. I'm sure said process involves combat trials, of course, but it doesn't have to mean everyone just dropped what they were doing and started killing each other for the spot. I'll also note that the other time we've seen basitin succession in action - described during the trial scene on the island - while it may have been a bit disorganized (imo not surprising given the chaotic situation) even there it seems apparent that all the basitin involved are playing by a mutually agreed-on set of rules.

steelabjur
Council Member

#3600 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:43 am
Interesting. Some thoughts:
First of all I always picture most basitins were a shorter than a regular human, but at 1.75 m eh average Bsitin is slightly shorter than me. But even at a normal human height King A. is a giant. Also isn't she too heavy? I mean at those numbers her BMI is 30 or obese. In any case at those numbers I am sure BMI means basically nothing but still...
On the other hand: Topple a towe.? I want to see those numbers and a blueprint of said tower. That makes no sense, not only she would have to lift all the weight of the building she would have to rip the foundations off the ground. And yeah I know in the comic universe toppling a tower by hand is by no means the weirdest thing that has happened, but dammit that makes zero sense.
Also i dunno why but I had the idea she was in her early 70's, I know it makes no sense but I can almost swear i read that somewhere...

Also I just hope TheMouse`sheart can take this sketch and doesn't faint or something...
Shaquille O'Neal's BMI is 31.6, it's not a good measurement when extremes start getting mixed in.

Regarding her height (7'2"), here is how she compares to some professional wrestlers: Braun Strowman 6'8", The Undertaker 6'10", Kane 7'0", Big Show 7'0", The Great Khali 7'1", Andre The Giant 7'4", Jorge González (El Gigante/Giant González) 7'7".