Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Sketch of the Day

#3511 Post by Eclipse »

Is there really any point in making a reference sheet for a deceased character? I have to wonder if Tom's not quite done with her.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#3512 Post by Dadrobit »

Eclipse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:50 pm Is there really any point in making a reference sheet for a deceased character? I have to wonder if Tom's not quite done with her.
To be honest, I'm not a huge giant fan of the ref sheets in general. The little character traits tidbits are cute, but I feel like there's considerably greater potential in the prospect of having Tom sketch just about anything rather than just seeing the characters just... standing there for reference as if we don't already have copious amounts of screentime of dang near every character from darn near every angle in full glossy color already... But that's just me being a crotchety old man, :mrgrin:

But in reference to your comment, no, she's very likely not coming back in a largely meaningful way as Tom posted this as well. Best case scenario for her seems to be that she pops up in a mini-arc of B-Canon material.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#3513 Post by Eclipse »

Dadrobit wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 pm
Eclipse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:50 pm Is there really any point in making a reference sheet for a deceased character? I have to wonder if Tom's not quite done with her.
To be honest, I'm not a huge giant fan of the ref sheets in general. The little character traits tidbits are cute, but I feel like there's considerably greater potential in the prospect of having Tom sketch just about anything rather than just seeing the characters just... standing there for reference as if we don't already have copious amounts of screentime of dang near every character from darn near every angle in full glossy color already... But that's just me being a crotchety old man, :mrgrin:

But in reference to your comment, no, she's very likely not coming back in a largely meaningful way as Tom posted this as well. Best case scenario for her seems to be that she pops up in a mini-arc of B-Canon material.

It's not just you. Reference sheets are good for learning about the characters' background and personality, but it is kind of boring from an artwork perspective. And for that matter, there's already a character page on the comic site, doesn't a reference sheet seem redundant? Speaking of which, that needs to get updated, there's several recent characters like Reni, Adira, and Maeve that still don't have character bios.

And if he didn't want people think she's coming back, he probably shouldn't have made a reference sheet for her altogether. The whole point of a reference sheet is so fans can look at them to learn basic information about characters they've seen in recent works. If they're not using the character anymore, it defeats the purpose. Even going through with a reference sheet feels like a step too far here.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3514 Post by IHeartMaeve »

So... To those of you who are wondering whether that "Male Laura" sketch was likely the twin mentioned in the ref sheet, it's very unlikely, if not completely nonsensical. Not only was the twin listed in the same bullet as "2 older sisters," but while all boy-and-girl twin pairs are fraternal, not all fraternal twins are boy-and-girl. For example, two girls I knew in the third grade were twins, but not identical. Case in point, it was obvious that the ref meant that she has a twin sister, so the aforementioned sketch is an obvious non-canon.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3515 Post by aitaituo »

I like ref sheets.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#3516 Post by SpottedKitty »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:01 am Case in point, it was obvious that the ref meant that she has a twin sister, so the aforementioned sketch is an obvious non-canon.
I caught a little bit of the sketch stream. Didn't that bit originally say only "three sisters"?

And I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the :potatoes: ... that's not supposed to go under "mental characteristics", I hope. :shock:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3517 Post by IHeartMaeve »

SpottedKitty wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:07 pm
IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:01 am Case in point, it was obvious that the ref meant that she has a twin sister, so the aforementioned sketch is an obvious non-canon.
I caught a little bit of the sketch stream. Didn't that bit originally say only "three sisters"?
Well, I said it mentioned two older and one twin, but the point I was trying to get across was that there was no way that Male Laura could be a canon relative.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#3518 Post by SirJahar »

In general, I'm fine with the reff sheets, as it gives fan artists who aren't in Tom's immediate circle propper color swatches and a consolidated source of personality information that is otherwise scattered throughout the comic. It certainly makes it easier to pay someone else to make it when you don't have to tell them to read a 1000< page book to know what they're working with.
Yes, I have commissioned Twokinds fanart from Not-Tom artists before, the lack of such a source of info made it take a week of back and forths to negotiate.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3519 Post by tony1695 »

So, we've missed more than a few pieces because some people insist on carrying on a discussion that might warrant its own thread. So, let's just go with the most recent one.
Nightmare Rose, a possible look at what might happen if Rose was a lot more vengeful upon being released.

As someone who plays Magic: The Gathering, I'm sensing something very familiar, in an... eldritch way.
Spoiler!
We'mrakul. Are'mrakul. Emrakul!
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#3520 Post by SirJahar »

This sketch makes my skin crawl for a variety of reasons.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#3521 Post by SpottedKitty »

SirJahar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:10 pm This sketch makes my skin crawl for a variety of reasons.
That's funny, it makes my skin want to run very very fast >>>>>>>>>> thataway, taking the rest of my anatomy with it. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Hayate
The Hidden User

#3522 Post by Hayate »

SirJahar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:10 pm This sketch makes my skin crawl for a variety of reasons.
You feel your sins crawling on your back
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3523 Post by tony1695 »

SpottedKitty wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 pm
That's funny, it makes my skin want to run very very fast >>>>>>>>>> thataway, taking the rest of my anatomy with it. :wink:
You think she's going to let you? Judging by the windows, she's already started reaping her vengeance...
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3524 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Today in the Twokinds version of Baywatch Raine questions her career choice and her running speed.
I am old enought to have seen Baywatch when i was younger. Yet for the life of me i can't remember if the ever swim in that show. So Raine might be worried over nothing. Besides she is a pretty good (para)medic so even if she can't swim she is still useful.
Also is it just me or Maren feet look off?

Edit: Sorry my clipboard decided to prank me
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3525 Post by Warrl »

I do believe you have the wrong link there... the LinkedIn page for what looks to me like a Mexican (Spanish+native) name.