Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Sketch of the Day

#3466 Post by tony1695 »

Another dip into an alternative universe with Rose Baking with Raine, and poking a bit of harmless fun at her.
Never really considered the less obvious negative effects of Raine's upbringing before.
Also, let's assume they're using that dog-safe chocolate shall we?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#3467 Post by MuonNeutrino »

tony1695 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:06 pm Another dip into an alternative universe with Rose Baking with Raine, and poking a bit of harmless fun at her.
Never really considered the less obvious negative effects of Raine's upbringing before.
Also, let's assume they're using that dog-safe chocolate shall we?
I beat you to it. :P Seriously, did you think I'd let a Rose-related sketch go unposted? :grin:

Anyway, it's interesting to note that theobromine (i.e. chocolate) is actually only about 3 times more toxic for dogs than it is for Humans - LD50 for dogs is about 300 mg/kg vs about 1000 mg/kg for humans. A big part of the reason it's considered poisonous for dogs is simply that they have so much lower body mass to absorb the dose than humans do - a 10kg dog eating one square of chocolate is like a 60kg human eating 6. It *is* still more toxic for them than for humans, but (assuming similar physiologies) a big chunk of the toxicity would be knocked out for Keidran because, unlike most dogs, they have body masses comparable to humans. Even assuming it's just as toxic for keidran as for dogs, a keidran could eat one cookie just as safely as a human could eat three. Processed chocolate also has lower theobromine levels than the raw stuff, so if those are semisweet baking chips they probably have something like 6ish g/kg theobromine, meaning that for a 30 kg keidran child even eating an entire pound (0.45 kg) of the stuff would still only give a dose of 90 mg/kg. That's definitely enough to be toxic - it's about 6 times the threshold for symptoms - but even that extreme of an amount is still well below the ld50, and a full pound of chocolate chips is more than what I use to make an entire batch of cookies.

It's also noted that keidran have fast metabolisms, while theobromine poisoning in animals is apparently related to an inability to metabolize the stuff as fast as humans can, so it's also entirely possible that it isn't even as toxic for keidran as it is for real life animals. Point being a few chocolate chips is unlikely to be particularly harmful.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#3468 Post by Tyger42 »

Bad Bart wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:43 pm
Tyger42 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:56 pm
Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:09 am And smexyness intensifies with vixen keith, now in color :keith: :natani:
We got a DA link? :p
Try this
Ooooh myyy....

Thank you very much. :heart:

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3469 Post by tony1695 »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:30 pm I beat you to it. :P Seriously, did you think I'd let a Rose-related sketch go unposted? :grin:
That's what I get for only checking the then-last post and not scrolling up.
Gentlementlemen

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3470 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:30 pm I beat you to it. :P Seriously, did you think I'd let a Rose-related sketch go unposted? :grin:

Anyway, it's interesting to note that theobromine (i.e. chocolate) is actually only about 3 times more toxic for dogs than it is for Humans - LD50 for dogs is about 300 mg/kg vs about 1000 mg/kg for humans. A big part of the reason it's considered poisonous for dogs is simply that they have so much lower body mass to absorb the dose than humans do - a 10kg dog eating one square of chocolate is like a 60kg human eating 6. It *is* still more toxic for them than for humans, but (assuming similar physiologies) a big chunk of the toxicity would be knocked out for Keidran because, unlike most dogs, they have body masses comparable to humans. Even assuming it's just as toxic for keidran as for dogs, a keidran could eat one cookie just as safely as a human could eat three. Processed chocolate also has lower theobromine levels than the raw stuff, so if those are semisweet baking chips they probably have something like 6ish g/kg theobromine, meaning that for a 30 kg keidran child even eating an entire pound (0.45 kg) of the stuff would still only give a dose of 90 mg/kg. That's definitely enough to be toxic - it's about 6 times the threshold for symptoms - but even that extreme of an amount is still well below the ld50, and a full pound of chocolate chips is more than what I use to make an entire batch of cookies.

It's also noted that keidran have fast metabolisms, while theobromine poisoning in animals is apparently related to an inability to metabolize the stuff as fast as humans can, so it's also entirely possible that it isn't even as toxic for keidran as it is for real life animals. Point being a few chocolate chips is unlikely to be particularly harmful.
This reminded me of some really good discussion in Stack Exchange . I mean if you really wanted to kill a keidran lacing his food with pure theobromine would not be such a bad idea. But as you mentioned they are just too large to die from some measly chocolate chips. Yet I once heard some people use chocolate to poison wolves and those things are huge!
So young Raine probably should not eat to many chocolate cookies. They probably won't kill her but might
give her a real bad case of stomach-ache and diarrhea. And she is just too cute for that.
On a separate note if she is cooking while on wolf form I imagine the cookies might end up having white fur as an additional ingredient.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster

#3471 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 amThis reminded me of some really good discussion in Stack Exchange . I mean if you really wanted to kill a keidran lacing his food with pure theobromine would not be such a bad idea. But as you mentioned they are just too large to die from some measly chocolate chips. Yet I once heard some people use chocolate to poison wolves and those things are huge!
So young Raine probably should not eat to many chocolate cookies. They probably won't kill her but might give her a real bad case of stomach-ache and diarrhea. And she is just too cute for that.
Theobromine is apparently fairly bitter in its raw form, and doesn't dissolve well in water, so it might be tricky to administer that way. You don't need *too* much to kill, but hitting the 300 mg/kg ld50 for a 65 kg adult still would require about 20 g of the stuff, which isn't nothing either (and you'd probably want at least twice that much if you're really trying to kill someone).

As for using chocolate to poison wolves, they're bigger than most dogs, but they've still got a lower body mass than humans - they average somewhere around 35-45 kg, roughly. If we're talking the same semisweet chocolate, you'd need about 2 kg to give a 300 mg/kg dose to a 40 kg wolf, which is a lot but not impossible, particularly given the propensity of canines to wolf down (heh) lots of food quickly. It wouldn't be the most efficient way to poison a wolf, but it could be done.

I don't think Raine could really eat enough cookies to make herself sick via theobromine poisoning - there isn't actually much chocolate in a cookie, most of the mass is other stuff. An individual chocolate chip is apparently something like 0.3-0.5 g, so the mass of chocolate in one cookie is probably about 1.5-3 g, if she's sticking to her 5 (or 6) chips per cookie rule anyway. :grin: As such, even eating 20 cookies is only 60 g of chocolate tops, which is only 0.36 g of theobromine total, or a 12 mg/kg dose, below the minimum symptoms threshold. She'd likely make herself sick simply from overeating before she was able to eat enough chocolate to be harmful.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3472 Post by tony1695 »

Moving on to other things, here we see Tall Maddie, showing that she really does take after her mother.
Gentlementlemen

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#3473 Post by Hulk10 »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 amThis reminded me of some really good discussion in Stack Exchange . I mean if you really wanted to kill a keidran lacing his food with pure theobromine would not be such a bad idea. But as you mentioned they are just too large to die from some measly chocolate chips. Yet I once heard some people use chocolate to poison wolves and those things are huge!
So young Raine probably should not eat to many chocolate cookies. They probably won't kill her but might give her a real bad case of stomach-ache and diarrhea. And she is just too cute for that.
Theobromine is apparently fairly bitter in its raw form, and doesn't dissolve well in water, so it might be tricky to administer that way. You don't need *too* much to kill, but hitting the 300 mg/kg ld50 for a 65 kg adult still would require about 20 g of the stuff, which isn't nothing either (and you'd probably want at least twice that much if you're really trying to kill someone).

As for using chocolate to poison wolves, they're bigger than most dogs, but they've still got a lower body mass than humans - they average somewhere around 35-45 kg, roughly. If we're talking the same semisweet chocolate, you'd need about 2 kg to give a 300 mg/kg dose to a 40 kg wolf, which is a lot but not impossible, particularly given the propensity of canines to wolf down (heh) lots of food quickly. It wouldn't be the most efficient way to poison a wolf, but it could be done.

I don't think Raine could really eat enough cookies to make herself sick via theobromine poisoning - there isn't actually much chocolate in a cookie, most of the mass is other stuff. An individual chocolate chip is apparently something like 0.3-0.5 g, so the mass of chocolate in one cookie is probably about 1.5-3 g, if she's sticking to her 5 (or 6) chips per cookie rule anyway. :grin: As such, even eating 20 cookies is only 60 g of chocolate tops, which is only 0.36 g of theobromine total, or a 12 mg/kg dose, below the minimum symptoms threshold. She'd likely make herself sick simply from overeating before she was able to eat enough chocolate to be harmful.
That's a disturbing thought.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3474 Post by tony1695 »

Looks like Natani's in for a shock from GIftbox Keith.
Step one, cut a hole in the box...
Gentlementlemen

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#3475 Post by Shockwave07 »

Keith: Hey, at least I am barefoot around you!

...That should count for something...

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3476 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 pm Theobromine is apparently fairly bitter in its raw form, and doesn't dissolve well in water, so it might be tricky to administer that way. You don't need *too* much to kill, but hitting the 300 mg/kg ld50 for a 65 kg adult still would require about 20 g of the stuff, which isn't nothing either (and you'd probably want at least twice that much if you're really trying to kill someone).

I was thinking more of a continous poisoning like adding therobromine to food for several days until their liver gives up. There are better ways of course, you could use fentanyl or something like that but as the article I linked said: That is boring you can kill anything with that. Besides I am pretty sure no one is going to scan the body for therobromine so it is a safe way to get away with murder?
Oh and they used baking dark chocolate for the wolves if i remember correctly.

Anyhow leaving those dark thoughts aside we missed to sketches:
Firstly Raine is confused about Maren intentions on Maren and Raine's Night Out and rightly so you do not invite your friend to a lesbian bar just beacuse thay have a damn good steak! This remind me one time one of my friends accidentally invited another friend to a local gay bar. Needless to say a lot of akward moments came after that.

On the other hand Kat is being all innocent and cute in her pretend Tea party . honestly thoguht isn't she like in her early twenties, human years? Isn't that a bit old to play tea with your dolls?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3477 Post by aitaituo »

They're not dolls, they're collectibles!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3478 Post by tony1695 »

Today's first sketch is Portal Kat 2: NorAI, which is just a little bit nightmarish. I guess it's the actual face there, instead of the impersonal orb-thing.

And the second one is a little random piece, featuring Maren and... Maren Nibblified?
Gentlementlemen

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3479 Post by Technic[Bot] »

tony1695 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:38 am Today's first sketch is Portal Kat 2: NorAI, which is just a little bit nightmarish. I guess it's the actual face there, instead of the impersonal orb-thing.

And the second one is a little random piece, featuring Maren and... Maren Nibblified?
Or maybe Nibs Marenified...
I know I know. Bad joke. I will show myself out
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster

#3480 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Today we have more information than you ever needed to know about Natani, in the:

Natani Ref Sheet

Personally, I can't get enough of this sort of background info/lore, I love this stuff.

The bit about him having a very good singing voice that he doesn't use due to it coming out feminine is something I found particularly interesting. A neat thing in real life neuroscience is that singing seems to be processed quite differently in the brain than normal speech. There are people with aphasia (difficulty with language processing, often due to brain damage from e.g. a stroke) who can't coherently string two words together when trying to talk normally, who can nevertheless sing completely fluently. Natani had to train himself to speak like a male - Tom once mentioned that the keidran language indicates gender by adding 'male' or 'female' inflections to speech (as there's no inherent tonal difference between male or female voices like with humans), and that Natani's trained himself to speak this way for so long that he'd actually find it hard to speak with female inflections now. (This was in 2007, but I see no reason to assume it's changed.) However, I could totally see this not having extended to singing (or howling, which is kinda similar I guess) if he hadn't specifically trained for it, given how differently singing appears to be handled by the brain. I don't know if Tom did that on purpose or if how it fits with RL neuroscience is just a coincidence, but it's still neat.

The similar note about body language is also kinda neat. This comic was a joke, but I wonder if Raine actually *would* have 'weird' body language due to having grown up in isolation and never in her keidran form.

Also, I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, but *man* wolves are huge. That's gotta be a bit intimidating to be around, at least for your 'average' human who's already conditioned to think of wolves as dangerous.