Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

Re: Sketch of the Day

#4111 Post by Tornir »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:06 pm This IS a distinct possibility. I wonder if it's related to Reni's ancestry in some way...? :reni:
I wasn't thinking of a direct connection to Reni, beyond the observation that in canon, fertile dragon/human hybrids are possible. It's not a huge leap to contend dragon/keidran is also possible. Would such a thing be considered scandalous in keidran society? Something not to be acknowledged or spoken of, and lost after a few generations have passed?
Or could it be well known, and we just haven't had any exposition on Euchre's family beyond Rose?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#4112 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I wonder if dragons ever get lonely, living a couple cenuries by yourself has to be lonely. I think that is one of the reasons Nora act as she does messing with people. She is lonely and has a hard time connecting to other people.
Tornir wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:01 am
Bellhead wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:06 pm This IS a distinct possibility. I wonder if it's related to Reni's ancestry in some way...? :reni:
I wasn't thinking of a direct connection to Reni, beyond the observation that in canon, fertile dragon/human hybrids are possible. It's not a huge leap to contend dragon/keidran is also possible. Would such a thing be considered scandalous in keidran society? Something not to be acknowledged or spoken of, and lost after a few generations have passed?
Or could it be well known, and we just haven't had any exposition on Euchre's family beyond Rose?
Well we have only seen transformation magic in comic from to sources: Nora and Raine/Euchre/Rose. I we go to side comics and sketches i think at some point Trace also used "dragon magic" to convert a misbehaving Templar into a chicken. But overall seems like transformation magic is very uncommon or hard to perform. Which makes Raine very special.

But i doubt the have dragon blood, as we can see Reni despite having a human parent (citation needed) and human ancestry she is 110% dragon (+- 5%). And even if she weren't her transformation powers make it a moot discussion, Reni is whatever she wishes to be. What I am trying to say is that any keidran/dragon hybrid will likely be indistinguishable of a normal dragon, so we would know if Raine is part dragon. I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that dragon hybrids are not immortal, they still would live a couple centuries but will eventually die of old age. But even going through this Lore dump we got a few years ago can't find that information.
In few words if Raine or Rose were also part dragon girl we would know.

Regardless given Nora age all living dragons are related to her ( as long as she has one or 2 children) for the same reason we are all related to Charlemagne Another video if you are curious

I still like my :nora: + :trace: = :squirrel: theory though.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#4113 Post by Tornir »

Reni's mother was half dragon, Reni (depending on who her dad was) is 1/4 (or just possibly 3/4).
I was thinking of Euchre being 1/64 or less, so the dominant traits he was born with were dilute enough to make him an enhanced Keidran, rather than anything recognisable as a dragon.
That might also explain why, for a Keidran, he's old but not dead yet.

That lore thread made an interesting read, thanks. :)

Clarification on the chocolate steak thingy:
Chocolate toxicity is related to theobromine concentration, not mass. Terran cats and dogs can't metabolize it, but humans can. White and most milk chocolate may make them ill but not seriously, the stuff I like could kill.
Caffeine is a derivative compound related to theobromine, but it's toxic effects in pets tend to develop faster and be more acute.
Since Keidran in canon can drink coffee without harm, there's a good chance they can safely consume a choccosteak (though if lactose intolerance is a thing with them, they may want to avoid that Hershey-grade brown stuff).

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#4114 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tornir wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:02 am Reni's mother was half dragon, Reni (depending on who her dad was) is 1/4 (or just possibly 3/4).
I was thinking of Euchre being 1/64 or less, so the dominant traits he was born with were dilute enough to make him an enhanced Keidran, rather than anything recognisable as a dragon.
That might also explain why, for a Keidran, he's old but not dead yet.

That lore thread made an interesting read, thanks. :)

Clarification on the chocolate steak thingy:
Chocolate toxicity is related to theobromine concentration, not mass. Terran cats and dogs can't metabolize it, but humans can. White and most milk chocolate may make them ill but not seriously, the stuff I like could kill.
Caffeine is a derivative compound related to theobromine, but it's toxic effects in pets tend to develop faster and be more acute.
Since Keidran in canon can drink coffee without harm, there's a good chance they can safely consume a choccosteak (though if lactose intolerance is a thing with them, they may want to avoid that Hershey-grade brown stuff).
I need to dust that threat every so often else i will forget it is there.

Not completely sure about the dragon heritage thing. Euchre mentioned I’m old… I’ve learned to protect myself from such things as death. Though… I am at the end of my life, one way or another. so i suspect he is either using his perfect transformation skill to get a more advantageous physiology or necromancy, seems it is all the rage with his co-conspirators, to keep himself alive for so long. (He should be in his thirties) not dragon blood.

If you want to read about killing Keidran werewolves with chocolate i have the stack exchange for you: Werewolf killer That questions is the insparation of my superhero: Xocolatl a guy in a cocoa pod suit who kills werewolves and other canid anthros.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#4115 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:08 pm If you want to read about killing Keidran werewolves with chocolate i have the stack exchange for you: Werewolf killer That questions is the inspiration of my superhero: Xocolatl a guy in a cocoa pod suit who kills werewolves and other canid anthros.
Looks like the Weres hacked your link. :P

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#4116 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I am gonna personally blame Euchre for that but no fear Xocolatl will have his revenge!

Real link
Chemical weapon to kill a werewolf
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#4117 Post by aitaituo »

Tornir wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:00 pm I don't think they're actually made of magic, but they have a managenic physiology, and cannot survive it their internal levels drop too far. They're the only life form that generates and radiates the stuff out into the environment; all other magic using lifeforms are endomanic, having to rely on external sources.
We know they're all telepathic, and I'm going to assume they can all breathe fire, but whether that's generated chemically or magically is unclear.
As I recall, human magic works by siphoning mana away from their environment. When all available mana has been used, they can only use dark mana, by directly draining the life force out of living creatures. This has always suggested to me that mana is naturally generated by all life forms. How else would mana get replenished? We know it has to regenerate somehow or human cities generally, and the Templar headquarters particularly, would be mana dead zones. I guess a Full Metal Alchemist style mana from plate tectonics is possible.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:43 am But i doubt the have dragon blood, as we can see Reni despite having a human parent (citation needed) and human ancestry she is 110% dragon (+- 5%). And even if she weren't her transformation powers make it a moot discussion, Reni is whatever she wishes to be. What I am trying to say is that any keidran/dragon hybrid will likely be indistinguishable of a normal dragon, so we would know if Raine is part dragon. I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that dragon hybrids are not immortal, they still would live a couple centuries but will eventually die of old age. But even going through this Lore dump we got a few years ago can't find that information.
In Elder Scrolls, offspring have the race of their mother. Given their natural shapeshifting, dragons may have offspring of the same form they had when they conceived. Euchre's perfect transformation clearly goes down to the genetic level, so it's not a stretch that dragons are capable of the same. Such transformation and reproduction abilities are pure fantasy, so Tom can decide whatever traits that get passed on cross-species that he wants.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#4118 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Did i post this excellent loredump?

I do not think so. I believe it is a good idea to properly archive it here. I specially like how he gave them significant, and actual, advantages to humans, besides being long lived and magic.

Also as usual Raine is adorable not matter what she does, even if she is trying to drink a gallon full of cheap wine, while under legal drinking age, to get completely drunk while writing smut.

Do wonder why Tom went and added and exact date to the Id, exactly 500 years from comic time. Which actually is consisten with real world technological development, 500 years ago tenochtitlan was just falling. It took only 500 years to go from the discovery of America to cellphones. Tom has always provided much temporal detail, we know when everyone was born, current comic year, 482 and even Rose date of death. Wonder why he insist on adding such detail?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#4119 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Fast I forward a few sketch days, and we get this.

Laura looks rather cute in a 1950s diner waitress outfit, wouldn't you agree?
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4120 Post by Bellhead »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:58 pm Fast I forward a few sketch days, and we get this.

Personally, I think it fits her personality pretty well. Though, in that situation, I could also see her acting shy-cute, and almost trying to hide behind the tray of drinks. She always gave me the composed-but-shy vibe, not so much the awkward-clumsy type to me. Still cute, though. I wouldn't mind seeing this colored.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

IHeartMaeve
Templar

#4121 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:52 am
IHeartMaeve wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:58 pm Fast I forward a few sketch days, and we get this.

Personally, I think it fits her personality pretty well. Though, in that situation, I could also see her acting shy-cute, and almost trying to hide behind the tray of drinks. She always gave me the composed-but-shy vibe, not so much the awkward-clumsy type to me. Still cute, though. I wouldn't mind seeing this colored.
Oh yeah, I totally agree there. Speaking of awkward shy-cute moments, I know this isn't the main-comic discussion thread, but I especially remember the awkward moment when she "tried too hard" to imagine Keith in his underwear to douse her nerves regarding seeing him again and he was beyond that point when she opened the door. That was whack.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#4122 Post by Technic[Bot] »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:42 pm
Bellhead wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:52 am

Oh yeah, I totally agree there. Speaking of awkward shy-cute moments, I know this isn't the main-comic discussion thread, but I especially remember the awkward moment when she "tried too hard" to imagine Keith in his underwear to douse her nerves regarding seeing him again and he was beyond that point when she opened the door. That was whack.
Well she can also be quite Assertive when she wants to be

Also today we got Vehra! Remember her? She was almost a vegetable last time we saw her. Now she is trying to remember home ....

Goddamit i don't come here to get sad 😢 poor girl. She really got one of the worst outcomes of all the cast and that is saying something
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#4123 Post by Dadrobit »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:54 pm Also today we got Vehra! Remember her? She was almost a vegetable last time we saw her. Now she is trying to remember home ....

Goddamit i don't come here to get sad 😢 poor girl. She really got one of the worst outcomes of all the cast and that is saying something
I'm sorry, and also, you're welcome! :mrgrin:

I really do enjoy this one. Honestly, how Tom presented her her, she is way more together than what I was originally considering.

IHeartMaeve
Templar

#4124 Post by IHeartMaeve »

I almost forgot about Vehra until I saw this. Now I'm starting to hope that there's some way to undo the damage caused to her mind. Maybe an advanced... Oh, wait. Never mind. Keith established in the Prank Pixie Panic Minikind that Basitins are resistant to most magic, so I doubt any healing spell, even a Nora-level advanced one, would be much help.

And before anyone chastises me for referencing a story that's more likely than not to be non-canon, I'm pretty sure every one of Tom's Twokinds stories has a canon statement here and there; even it's precursor, The HalfKind, mentions some things with varying forms of canonicity to them, ranging from the two core races to a foreshadowing of their genetic compatibility. So don't you dare question my statement regarding Basitin magic-resistance!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#4125 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Dadrobit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:41 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:54 pm Also today we got Vehra! Remember her? She was almost a vegetable last time we saw her. Now she is trying to remember home ....

I'm sorry, and also, you're welcome! :mrgrin:

I really do enjoy this one. Honestly, how Tom presented her her, she is way more together than what I was originally considering.
No problem and thanks

Yeah when I heard this suggestion i expected her to be desperately trying to remember something, anything and failing. Do not get me wrong it is still horrible and sad but it could have been much worse.
IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:48 pm I almost forgot about Vehra until I saw this. Now I'm starting to hope that there's some way to undo the damage caused to her mind. Maybe an advanced... Oh, wait. Never mind. Keith established in the Prank Pixie Panic Minikind that Basitins are resistant to most magic, so I doubt any healing spell, even a Nora-level advanced one, would be much help.

And before anyone chastises me for referencing a story that's more likely than not to be non-canon, I'm pretty sure every one of Tom's Twokinds stories has a canon statement here and there; even it's precursor, The HalfKind, mentions some things with varying forms of canonicity to them, ranging from the two core races to a foreshadowing of their genetic compatibility. So don't you dare question my statement regarding Basitin magic-resistance!
On one of the Lore dumps by professor Raine it was stated Basitin endurance and strength comes from magic. So it is not unlikely they are magic resistant to a degree
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide