Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

Re: Sketch of the Day

#3496 Post by Hulk10 »

tony1695 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:44 pm Today, we get a glimpse into Maren's Thoughts on Sythe, and how she's trying desperately to lie to herself. Give in to the truth, Maren, you know you want him.
This is so hilarious.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3497 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tyger42 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:52 pm
aitaituo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:39 am Humans cheat on our vocal tone. Starting in puberty, girls make their voices unnaturally high and boys make their voices unnaturally low until it becomes second nature.
I don't know where you got this idea, but if it even factors in, its minimal at best. Physiological differences play a MUCH bigger role in the differences in pitch between men's and women's voices.
Human vocal system can be modeled as a a bunch of flexible chambers and valves this allows us people to have such a tonal range.
Dadrobit wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 pm
tony1695 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:44 pm Today, we get a glimpse into Maren's Thoughts on Sythe, and how she's trying desperately to lie to herself. Give in to the truth, Maren, you know you want him.
I for one am deeply grateful that Tom took the advice of the chat on changing it from the original version. "Ya know, Tom. If this was her fantasy/imagination, there probably wouldn't be a loincloth there~~~" :mrgrin:
Quite funny.
Also at this point i thougth Sythe was only the comic relief, destined to be alone because as he put it once: Nobody cared about him. It is kinda nice to see that maybe in some far future he might get someone who actually loves him.

Anyhow there where two Laura sketches we missed and that simply cannot be right:
I am getting some MGS3 flashbacks on the first one: Sidecar Laura . This makes me wonder why sidecar motorcicles went out of style....
We also got our favorite dead vixen channeling her inner Shantae on Laura of the Lamp . All I can say is the outfit really suits her.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3498 Post by tony1695 »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:52 am Anyhow there where two Laura sketches we missed and that simply cannot be right:
I am getting some MGS3 flashbacks on the first one: Sidecar Laura . This makes me wonder why sidecar motorcicles went out of style....
We also got our favorite dead vixen channeling her inner Shantae on Laura of the Lamp . All I can say is the outfit really suits her.
No, they weren't missed, they just got buried in all the discussion about Keidran biology and voices and such.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3499 Post by Technic[Bot] »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:18 am No, they weren't missed, they just got buried in all the discussion about Keidran biology and voices and such.
I am sorry i did not see it.

Any case there is a new sketch. Wich i hope i do not get sniped before posting
Today we see how our favorite hybrid on her first day at college on College Kat . A nice piece but I am not sure headphones like that would work on those ears.
Also it is a bit disheartening to see how all the comments point out that Keidran don't live long enough to actually go to college...
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3500 Post by Warrl »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:15 pm Also it is a bit disheartening to see how all the comments point out that Keidran don't live long enough to actually go to college...
For me, the short lifespan is one of the harder bits of disbelief to suspend.

Just to be an adult, a keidran has to learn in 6-8 years what a human learns in 16-21. They clearly have to be significantly more intelligent. And yet... they don't seem to be.

To be a master of a craft (say, a blacksmith) after half of his adult life, a keidran must reach that point in 7 years of training and experience - a human, in 20. Again, we've seen no sign that this is happening.

If keidran aren't hyperintelligent compared to humans - at least well into middle age - then they should be way behind humans in technology, and a war between humans and wolves would be a seriously one-sided affair with the humans totally dominating every aspect - and the human alliance with the tigers not worth the bother beyond the convenience of not fighting on two fronts at once.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3501 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Funny enough, when I saw this title, the first thing that came to mind was my mother's place of post-high education, Wells College, best known for a ridiculous amount of feral housecats (basically domestic cats with no definite person to live with). Because, you know... College Kat, switch the K with a C... Yeah. That happened.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3502 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Just to be an adult, a keidran has to learn in 6-8 years what a human learns in 16-21. They clearly have to be significantly more intelligent. And yet... they don't seem to be.

To be a master of a craft (say, a blacksmith) after half of his adult life, a keidran must reach that point in 7 years of training and experience - a human, in 20. Again, we've seen no sign that this is happening.

If keidran aren't hyperintelligent compared to humans - at least well into middle age - then they should be way behind humans in technology, and a war between humans and wolves would be a seriously one-sided affair with the humans totally dominating every aspect - and the human alliance with the tigers not worth the bother beyond the convenience of not fighting on two fronts at once.
Honestly i do not like the idea of the short lifespan either.
Lore, plot and supension of disbelief aside, which as you mention has some weird and sever implications: How come they have any culture? they do not live long enough for that. The whole idea came from a joke that was honestly not that good then and it is still not fun now. And I think the same joke could have been told without severely limiting Keidran lifespan.
Besides Tom does not seems like he really wants to esplore that idea and its implications:
When Trace realized Flora will probably not make it past his 30 birthday it took only a couple of strips for Nora to make Trace forget the idea of extending her life effectively killing that sub-plot.
Also most Keidran relevant to the story are young enough that it is unlikely their short lifespans are gonna be an issue, specially at the comic current pace, and all Kiedran old enough to be close to kick the bucket have a very weird case of inmortality/life extension. I.e: Euchre and Rose.
And to top it all the Lore reason Keidran has such a short lifespan is probably because ephemera threw a natural 1 (critical failure) while on the character race creation part of the game the mask are playing.
So yeah not a fan.
At the end of the day Tom is probably gonna cheat his way out addressing the issue by some Deus Ex Machina or something...
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Ddraig
Templar Master

#3503 Post by Ddraig »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:50 am
Warrl wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Honestly i do not like the idea of the short lifespan either.
Lore, plot and supension of disbelief aside, which as you mention has some weird and sever implications: How come they have any culture? they do not live long enough for that. The whole idea came from a joke that was honestly not that good then and it is still not fun now. And I think the same joke could have been told without severely limiting Keidran lifespan.
Besides Tom does not seems like he really wants to esplore that idea and its implications:
When Trace realized Flora will probably not make it past his 30 birthday it took only a couple of strips for Nora to make Trace forget the idea of extending her life effectively killing that sub-plot.
Also most Keidran relevant to the story are young enough that it is unlikely their short lifespans are gonna be an issue, specially at the comic current pace, and all Kiedran old enough to be close to kick the bucket have a very weird case of inmortality/life extension. I.e: Euchre and Rose.
And to top it all the Lore reason Keidran has such a short lifespan is probably because ephemera threw a natural 1 (critical failure) while on the character race creation part of the game the mask are playing.
So yeah not a fan.
At the end of the day Tom is probably gonna cheat his way out addressing the issue by some Deus Ex Machina or something...
It wouldn't nearly make it 'impossible' for them to have a culture. They have writing, and live multiple decades. It'd be a fast-changing culture, sure, but they'd definitely still have one.
As for the tech difference, AFAIK Keidran are way behind the humans in technology. The only reason they haven't been wiped off the face of the planet is a combination of home ground advantage, breeding rates, and that the humans haven't really tried until very recently
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Tyger42
Apprentice

#3504 Post by Tyger42 »

aitaituo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:23 pm
aitaituo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:39 am Humans cheat on our vocal tone. Starting in puberty, girls make their voices unnaturally high and boys make their voices unnaturally low until it becomes second nature.
I don't know where you got this idea, but if it even factors in, its minimal at best. Physiological differences play a MUCH bigger role in the differences in pitch between men's and women's voices.
I got it from the head of the linguistics department where I went to college.
And why do you think the head of the linguistics department would be qualified in biology?

Tyger42
Apprentice

#3505 Post by Tyger42 »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:52 am
Human vocal system can be modeled as a a bunch of flexible chambers and valves this allows us people to have such a tonal range.
It's possible, sure, but it's not something that humans tend to "naturally" do. It takes deliberate effort, and even then, the "resting" tone won't change much.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3506 Post by aitaituo »

Tyger42 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 pmAnd why do you think the head of the linguistics department would be qualified in biology?
:grin:

Lightice
Citizen

#3507 Post by Lightice »

Tyger42 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:25 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:52 am
It's possible, sure, but it's not something that humans tend to "naturally" do. It takes deliberate effort, and even then, the "resting" tone won't change much.
With practice, just about anything comes naturally. You don't have to think about riding a bicycle in order to do it, even though there's nothing "natural" about it. With voice, affected tones are much more unconscious than the touch-typing that I'm doing to write this sentence without looking at the keys.

In case you weren't aware, no medical procedure exists to alter a transgendered person's voice, it's all just affecting a new tone, but that doesn't prevent most trans people from passing vocally just fine. Sure, there's a natural, physical element to the voice, as well, but there are cis men with high-pitched tones and cis women with low-pitched ones, and people can still recognise their voices as masculine or feminine, thanks to the affected tones they've learned to use unconsciously since childhood.

steelabjur
Council Member

#3508 Post by steelabjur »

Male Laura (whom several fans have dubbed "Laurence") doing his best Alaric impression with that tail hug.

ya know, Alaric, Laurence, Natani... ya got something to tell us, Keith? :P

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#3509 Post by TheMouse »

steelabjur wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:47 pm Male Laura (whom several fans have dubbed "Laurence") doing his best Alaric impression with that tail hug.

ya know, Alaric, Laurence, Natani... ya got something to tell us, Keith? :P
Oh my goodness, yes please! I love the look, but also the attitude! That panache, that confidence! :heart:
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#3510 Post by Dadrobit »

Today we have another reference sheet, this time of Laura!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/laura-ref-sheet-25509367

Also, it's moderately vindicating in an incredibly petty "I called it!" kind of way to see that in the locket was in fact just a mana crystal and not a subtleseed crystal. Shoutout to the good times debating it way back yonder though! :mrgrin: