Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Sketch of the Day

#3901 Post by Bellhead »

Ddraig wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:56 pm
Bellhead wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:21 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:57 pmMost interesting. However Tom seems to imply that her Keidran form would revert age wise if she went back to her human form.
I think it's more of a "the age of your natural form is inherently based upon the time since birth" type of thing, with a caveat of "your alternate form starts at the relative age of your natural form at the time of transformation". So yeah, it would revert to the relative age of her natural form as soon as she changed back.
I wonder what would happen if, say, Rose stayed in human form for 20 years (starting at her current age). When she turned back keidran, would she just go POOF and suddenly be a pile of dust?
Near as we can tell by current information, she'd just keel over. Depending on whether her extended lifetime would cover that, of course.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3902 Post by tony1695 »

Moving on from that discussion, we have a teleportation magic mishap resulting in Squirrelified Maren!
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#3903 Post by AmigaDragon »

steelabjur wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:43 am What I find interesting is that Euchre, like Raine, has the ability to employ Perfect Transformation naturally, while Rose requires mana to fuel it. Due to that, Euchre has a way to cheat the short lifespan of his racial heritage if he wanted to: stay Human indefinitely. Also, is it me, or does he seem to work magic without mana stones, unlike most Keidran magic users we've seen?
In human form he can work without mana stones. I expect that in keidran form he still needs them for anything but his transformation, that is, unless it's something that (some) keidran can learn to do.
Ddraig wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:56 pm I wonder what would happen if, say, Rose stayed in human form for 20 years (starting at her current age). When she turned back keidran, would she just go POOF and suddenly be a pile of dust?
Where would all the water in her body suddenly go for her to turn to dust?
tony1695 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:48 pm Moving on from that discussion, we have a teleportation magic mishap resulting in Squirrelified Maren!
Her first teleport itself was an unexpected variable. So was the fact that it got past her magic suppressor (limiting its range to 10 meters).
Was the inspiration for this Star Trek or The Fly?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

steelabjur
Council Member

#3904 Post by steelabjur »

Kat and Flora has a meeting of the, erm, "Minds" in the remake that's today's sketch: Kat and Flora Chest-to-Chest (Awesome Possum DA link because I'm one of the poors ;p).

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3905 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:03 am -snip-

Also also, interesting aside - this seems to confirm that not only do regular animal dogs exist in the TK world (as Maren's previous comments implied), but that animal wolves exist too. It makes me wonder what dog and wolf keidran think about their animal counterparts.
I imagine they do not see any connection. Most humans consider Keidran little more than animals but at the same time Keidran consider humans little more than magical hairless apes. So i do not think they see themselves but distant relatives, at best, of their counterparts. Besides Mekkan is a rather young civilization and something like evolution has not occurred to them. Moreover all races, and probably a great deal of fauna, is synthetic, created by the masks. So evolution does not really apply here.
Now I wonder if the have something like a creation myth? We know the races were isolated at first, by design, but they must be some lore or oral tradition about their origin.
MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:53 am
AmigaDragon wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:57 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:03 am Tom's stated that the transformation doesn't affect how you age unless you stay permanently in the other form - supposedly Rose would age like a human for as long as she was in human form, but the moment she went back to Keidran form all those years would catch right back up.
Are you saying if a 25 year old Rose spent 30 years as human, when she went back to keidran, those 30 years would catch up with her and she'd die right away?
Well, the context was Raine aging more rapidly in keidran form, so it was more 'if she spent 5 years as a keidran she'd age more rapidly, but then when she transformed back she'd snap back to being a 23 year old human' type of thing. But if it works the same way in reverse, then yeah that'd be the implied behavior, which as you note would lead to the odd situation of not actually being able to transform back without dying.

I managed to find where Tom explained this; it was in the stream chat during a sketch stream last year. I have a habit of copying down anything interesting Tom says in stream chat that I happen to see, so I actually have his exact words:
Tom wrote:<someone asks "Does Raine age more quickly in Keidran form?">

Twokinds: As long as raine keeps switching back to human form, her Keidran form stays the same relative age.
Twokinds: If Raine was stuck in wolf form, she would start aging like a Keidran.
Twokinds: But the moment she turned back, she'd be her normal human age and her Keidran form would go back.
To me, this breaks down as follows:

When the transformation is made, the form transformed into starts off as the same *relative* age as the native form. So when Raine transforms into a keidran, her keidran form is that of a keidran of the *equivalent* age as her 18-year-old human age (i.e. her keidran form is that of a roughly 8 year old keidran, not an 18 year old keidran).

Once the transformation is made, the new form ages at the usual rate for that form. If Raine transformed into a keidran and then stayed that way for 5 years, her keidran body would be that of a 13 year old keidran (i.e. probably the equivalent of a 30ish human) instead of the perhaps 11ish year old keidran that would be the equivalent of her 23 year old human side.

But, when she transforms back, her actual chronological age reasserts herself in her native form, and she returns to being a 23 year old human instead of suddenly becoming the 30ish human that would be the equivalent of the 13 year old keidran she had just been. And further, if she transformed back into a keidran after that, she'd have the body of the 11 year old keidran that's the equivalent of her 23 year old human body, instead of going back to having the 13 year old keidran body she'd had previously. And so, as long as she transforms periodically her keidran form ages no faster than her human form does, because her human form's age reasserts itself every time she un-transforms.

(And this does raise the odd scenario of a transformed human spending enough time in keidran form to grow old and frail and then transforming back and suddenly being in their prime again. If one had a human child prodigy who had mastered transformation by age 8 (likely the equivalent of a keidran of about 4) and then spent the next 20 years as a keidran before turning human again, they'd have lived an entire keidran lifetime up to an old age of 24 and then snapped back to being a 28 year old human.)

So, if it works like this, taking that pattern and reversing it would suggest that Rose would age like a human as long as she stayed in human form, but would 'snap back' to whatever the proper age would be for a keidran of her chronological age as soon as she transformed back. And if she e.g. transformed into a human at age 20 (probably the equivalent of a human of 50+) and then spent a decade as a human (aging only up to the equivalent of 60 or so), upon returning to her native form she would indeed 'snap back' to being a 30 year old *keidran* (i.e. a human of 100+) and most likely drop dead.
Didn't we had an old sketch detailing Raine and her wolf form? I mean is old and as everything mentioned by Tom but not added into the comic its canonicity may change without any previous warning but according to that Raine lifespan is unchanged between forms and thus could become the longest living wolf in history. For that it follows she ages as a humans in both forms and then Rose should age as a Keidran in any form. Of course that lefts Euchre as an issue since he is probably the current holder of oldest wolf alive. You could argue that since his talent is perfect transformation that he can simply change his physiology to age at a much more reasonable rate than "death at 30". On the other hand you could also argue that Rose transformation is not perfect and despite appearances she might look anatomically human but remain physiologically Keidran even after transformation.
On the other hand it could simply turn out that Raine's father side is much more magically gifted than her mother side, hence both Rose and Euchre can live for way longet than any wolf. Which would be ironic since her mother was at some point the most powerfull magic user in the world.
tony1695 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:48 pm Moving on from that discussion, we have a teleportation magic mishap resulting in Squirrelified Maren!
I know it is unintended and completely due to my own interpretation but i get some creepy "The fly" vibes from this. ..

Just for completeness another sketch:
We now know Trace has always been bad at proposing, even with the help of his Dragon friend. Which i think is ok, he is not only trying his best but I would not trust any man with "too much" experience proposing to other people. I also love the idea of Nora helping Trace propose, in her own Troll way. Despite her feeling towards our favorite blue haired magician she still supported and helped him to get the girls of his dreams beacause i think, deep down, Nora wanted to see Trace happy.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#3906 Post by Hulk10 »

Ddraig wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:56 pm
Bellhead wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:21 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:57 pmMost interesting. However Tom seems to imply that her Keidran form would revert age wise if she went back to her human form.
I think it's more of a "the age of your natural form is inherently based upon the time since birth" type of thing, with a caveat of "your alternate form starts at the relative age of your natural form at the time of transformation". So yeah, it would revert to the relative age of her natural form as soon as she changed back.
I wonder what would happen if, say, Rose stayed in human form for 20 years (starting at her current age). When she turned back keidran, would she just go POOF and suddenly be a pile of dust?
Maybe. I hope not though.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3907 Post by Warrl »

Suppose Wolf!Raine (fully transformed) gets her tail slammed in a door and broken. Then she transforms to Human. Is Human!Raine injured? Then she transforms back to full Wolf. Now is Wolf!Raine injured?

Same questions, but regarding Rose.

Suppose Raine stays Wolf for two full days. At the end of this she sits down and eats a good dinner. Then she transforms to Human. Is Human!Raine hungry?

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#3908 Post by BadFoMo »

tony1695 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:48 pmImage
...we have a teleportation magic mishap resulting in Squirrelified Maren!
Raine: Oops…
Red: Goof again?
Raine: Yep. …I think I’m getting better though.
Ren: Better?!
Raine: Ok, I have gotten us stuck as Human/Keidran hybrids, swapped Trace and Flora’s lower halves, and done this now, but I have successfully done it before; and what’s the worst that could happen next time?
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:30 amJust for completeness another sketch (Image):
We now know Trace has always been bad at proposing, even with the help of his Dragon friend. Which I think is ok, he is not only trying his best but I would not trust any man with "too much" experience proposing to other people. I also love the idea of Nora helping Trace propose, in her own Troll way. Despite her feeling towards our favorite blue haired magician she still supported and helped him to get the girls of his dreams because I think, deep down, Nora wanted to see Trace happy.
As much as I do not like Nora, I can see her doing something nice and selfless (and motherly?) like that.

Also, we have these;
ImageImageImageTraditional Tiger Ceremony (Color)
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#3909 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

And, to probably no ones surprise, next up is color vote #2:

Alternate Universe Kiss (DA Link)
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#3910 Post by DariusL »

Color vote #3 is Good Morning, Kathryn
Man, the things I'd do to wake up to this... :P

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#3911 Post by CrRAR »

DariusL wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:56 pm Color vote #3 is Good Morning, Kathryn
Man, the things I'd do to wake up to this... :P
Because I had to immortalize this somewhere...

KatxNatani exchanging glances on the mainpage, plus this song...

phpBB [video]

equals (;_;)

XD
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#3912 Post by AmigaDragon »

CrRAR wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:55 am KatxNatani exchanging glances on the mainpage, plus this song...
Ship Kattani all you want, I know Kat has eyes for Eric even though he hurt her (possible she might shift to Zen sometime but I don't think so right now) and Nat has eyes for Keith.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#3913 Post by DariusL »

Color vote #4 is up, Goddess of the Hunt

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3914 Post by Bellhead »

Tom did a great job with this one. She looks simply divine, and I don't even know why. Maybe it's the antlers and the deer...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3915 Post by Warrl »

At first glance it's strange that so many deities of the hunt have antlers, or are even prey animals (usually deer).

If you want a mammal that is a hunter, with hooves or antlers/horns/tusks, look in the water. Cetaceans and some seals. That's it. (Hooves: genetically the entire lot of cetaceans are among ungulates with an even number of toes; in their case the even number is zero. Antlers/horns/tusks: narwhals and walruses.)

Pigs and their close relatives are the only other mammals with either of those features that are primarily omnivores. But as far as I can recall I've never seen a pig Lord of the Hunt image.

The other ungulates are, at most, opportunistic omnivores. (They don't pick bugs off the foliage they eat, and if they happen to find small birds who can't get away for some reason, some will happily eat them too. But they aren't designed for catching birds.)

But if you consider the common-in-many-cultures thing of honoring the prey, then it at least starts to make sense.