Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

jacobc62
Grand Templar

Re: Sketch of the Day

#3781 Post by jacobc62 »

Honestly, my suggestions never appeared on the voting board, so I kinda stopped caring.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3782 Post by tony1695 »

Moving on, we've got a Nora Card piece, Demon Tiger Trace.
Yikes, the desolate background, Trace's blank stare, Flora trying to hold back tears...
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

knopf44
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3783 Post by knopf44 »

tony1695 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:47 pm Moving on, we've got a Nora Card piece, Demon Tiger Trace.
Yikes, the desolate background, Trace's blank stare, Flora trying to hold back tears...
one of the best nora cards i've seen so far. right in the feels :heart:

Esn
New Citizen

#3784 Post by Esn »

tony1695 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:47 pm Moving on, we've got a Nora Card piece, Demon Tiger Trace.
Yeah, that one has an extremely unsettling feeling for me.
Is there a prequel or backstory to this? I could've sworn I saw something similar some time back...

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#3785 Post by stlsf4003 »

the lurking furry railroader

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3786 Post by aitaituo »

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#3787 Post by SpottedKitty »

Another older sketch Nora Carded — Tiger Embrace.

Plus another Word of Tom little snippet of tiger keidran culture.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#3788 Post by MuonNeutrino »

SpottedKitty wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 amAnother older sketch Nora Carded — Tiger Embrace.

I really like this little bit of lore. In the comments for that one, Tom expanded a bit further on the concept:
Tom wrote:In tiger society, privacy isn't a concept. Even strangers will share beds when traveling, and feel no weirdness about it.
This ties in with some thinking I've done about keidran senses, and I think this is an interesting example of the sorts of differences in mindset that might arise between species with such different perceptions of the world.

It seems to me that, when contrasting human and keidran attitudes, the concept of 'privacy' could actually be interpreted as an artifact of how visually-focused humans are. For humans, sight is very much our primary sense. The others are of course quite important as well (especially hearing), but sight is where our senses compare most favorably with other animals and it's definitely the sense we rely on the most. And sight is unique in being easily blocked. As such, since sight is what we consider most important, it's actually possible for humans to have privacy from other humans, in the sense that we can relatively easily remove ourselves from the perception of other humans in terms of the main way we perceive the world.

The interesting thing is that the same cannot be said for keidran. Keidran have different senses than humans - they have superior hearing and smell, and these are much more important to how they perceive the world than the same senses are for humans. As such, sight is *not* the primary sense for keidran - the three are most likely equal, or possibly even biased towards scent - and their other two primary senses cannot easily be blocked the way sight can. A keidran could never avoid hearing or smelling other keidran nearby even if they are out of sight, and to them those senses are at least as important as sight is. Therefore, unlike for a human, it isn't really possible for keidran to actually *have* privacy from each other. They can't *not* be aware of each other through at least two of their three primary senses at all times.

Given this, it IMO makes a lot of sense that keidran don't place a lot of value on privacy - they physically *can't*. If their society placed the sort of emphasis on privacy that ours does, it would grind to a halt because it's physically impossible for them to actually *have* privacy. This probably also factors into keidran attitudes towards sex - if it's physically impossible for sex to be something hidden and private for them, then their society must be such that sex isn't regarded as something that *has* to be hidden and private, which probably is part of why they treat it so casually. (The existence of heat cycles being, IMO, the other big part of that explanation.) One might even apply this to their attitudes towards nudity as well - one might speculate that since sight isn't as important, being visually covered isn't such a big deal for them.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#3789 Post by SpottedKitty »

An interesting concept — and I'd say it also ties in with how well Natani's scent suppression spell works to disguise his body's true nature. There has to be at least a little non-scent difference between male and female keidran beyond the visually obvious anatomy that's hidden by his magical wrap, but if someone's nose isn't telling them "Natani's a girl", then these tiny differences would probably be ignored. No-one suspected Natani's secret until he lost his clothes (again?), and even then the lack of the more significant scent cues kept Mike and Evals confused for a long time.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

steelabjur
Council Member

#3790 Post by steelabjur »

It might depend on the climate as well. Human tribes in hotter climes in the real world also tend toward having little to no concept of privacy. This also seems to be limited to certain keidran cultures, if Wolves had a similar lack of privacy, Natani wouldn't have been able to disguise her sex long (nor would the general Kat mentioned she read about). Then again, that might be a artifact of cultural interaction between the Wolves and Humans, they seem to be closer to parity culturally, while Tigers are more tribal.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3791 Post by aitaituo »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:05 pm It seems to me that, when contrasting human and keidran attitudes, the concept of 'privacy' could actually be interpreted as an artifact of how visually-focused humans are. ~snip~
It's a very interesting idea. I think, though, that you need to also account for the apparently inherent mammal conception of territory, which includes the human conception of private property.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3792 Post by Warrl »

steelabjur wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:33 am It might depend on the climate as well. Human tribes in hotter climes in the real world also tend toward having little to no concept of privacy.
Is that really "hotter climes", or is it "cultures with lighter construction"? After all, if you don't have interior walls in your home, Mom & Dad don't have a separate bedroom from the kids. And it takes a certain degree of sophistication in construction (adjusted to the construction materials in local use) to be able to build interior walls, and a certain degree of wealth before these relatively-optional features aren't too expensive to bother with.

Bec

#3793 Post by Bec »

honestly the patreon on this new sketch is just https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... cc3374.png

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3794 Post by aitaituo »

Warrl wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:50 am
steelabjur wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:33 am It might depend on the climate as well. Human tribes in hotter climes in the real world also tend toward having little to no concept of privacy.
Is that really "hotter climes", or is it "cultures with lighter construction"? After all, if you don't have interior walls in your home, Mom & Dad don't have a separate bedroom from the kids. And it takes a certain degree of sophistication in construction (adjusted to the construction materials in local use) to be able to build interior walls, and a certain degree of wealth before these relatively-optional features aren't too expensive to bother with.
Historically, most families shared one or two bedrooms, even if they had interior walls. Houses made with hand tools take a long time to build and a big house was a serious luxury.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3795 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:05 pm
SpottedKitty wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 amAnother older sketch Nora Carded — Tiger Embrace.

I really like this little bit of lore. In the comments for that one, Tom expanded a bit further on the concept:
Tom wrote:In tiger society, privacy isn't a concept. Even strangers will share beds when traveling, and feel no weirdness about it.
-As expected from Mr Neutrino a lot of food for thought-
I really like your train of thought. Not entirely sure if that is what Tom was going towards, but I still find the explanation feasibly and interesting. You could also add that not all animals are capable of seeing all colors, if something is similar in Keidran that makes sight even less informative than other senses.
I also like how Tom adds these small details to the societies to differentiate the races of his story. Making them more than: humans but fluffy. He also takes the non-human side of Keidran to another level, it is not a simply aestheticall choice, it has impact to the world building, the plot and even some of the themes in his story.

Also latest sketch: It is sad I am sure Raine would love a happy family reunion. Heck even an standard awkward family meeting would be lovely for her. But alas that was not meant to be:
Her Family Reunion
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide