Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

JohnTheWysard
Apprentice

Re: Sketch of the Day

#2251 Post by JohnTheWysard »

That face alone is worth an R rating... rowf!

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#2252 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Yes...way better in color. :kathrin:
Videre videnda.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#2253 Post by Hulk10 »

It certainly is better in color.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

NuclearBird
Master

#2254 Post by NuclearBird »

Flora Fields, in color

"BUTTERFLY!"
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

ClockworkPanda
Citizen

#2255 Post by ClockworkPanda »

Aaagh! Too cute! Can't! :heart:

But that aside, I love the detail in these! The landscape arts are always super awesome! :3

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#2256 Post by Hulk10 »

NuclearBird wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 pm Image
Flora Fields, in color

"BUTTERFLY!"
Mmmm too cute, too cute indeed. *purrrrrrrrrrrr*

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#2257 Post by Technic[Bot] »

NuclearBird wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 pm Image
Flora Fields, in color

"BUTTERFLY!"
There is something in flora design that I like very much but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.
For example: I find her smile soothing and i have no idea why.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#2258 Post by Neutral Smith »

No teeth showing. Not hostile.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#2259 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:14 amThere is something in flora design that I like very much but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.
In my opinion, it likely mostly comes from Tom's skill at a: characterization, and b: drawing facial expressions.

Humans are very good at empathizing with the feelings of others, a useful thing in such a social species. We're so good at it, that it doesn't always even matter if the 'other' in question actually *exists* or not. To us, fictional characters can sometimes be as 'real' as any flesh-and-blood. If it looks like a person and acts like a person, our brains are fully capable of responding to it emotionally even if we know intellectually that it isn't actually a person. And Flora (along with the rest of Tom's characters) definitely meets those criteria.

We know Flora. We've seen her past, we've been with her along the journey of the comic, and we've seen and empathized with her struggles and hopes and fears and dreams, all depicted in a way that feels very real and true-to-life. At least to me, Flora feels real, in a way that frankly many 'actually' real people *don't* - we don't get this sort of incredibly intimate window into the lives of others in the real world! And Tom has shown us her personality and character quite skillfully along the way, and she's simply a very likable person. Flora is the sort of person who would perk up any company, brighten any room, simply by her presence and being who she is - though her cheerful nature, natural optimism, and simple joy in life.

And we can see that, through Tom's skill at depicting emotions in his character's expressions. When we see this drawing, Flora's simple, genuine happiness is easily apparent. It is very obvious just how thoroughly she's enjoying life right at that moment. And happiness really is contagious. We know Flora, we understand her personality, and so this sort of picture makes *us* feel, however dimly, what we imagine she feels. We can imagine it, can almost feel the sun on our faces, hear her delighted laughter, and see the joyful abandon in every motion as we watch her gleefully jump around after the butterflies. We know how content we'd be in her company - how happy it would be in pleasant times, how comforting her presence would be in sad ones - so even though we *can't* be there, the mere thought still soothes us. And in my opinion, of the comic characters she's the one whose personality comes across that way the strongest - all of them would be very interesting to meet and get to know in person, of course, but Flora would probably be the one who'd simply be the most fun to be around.

At least, that's how I see it.

NuclearBird
Master

#2260 Post by NuclearBird »

Reporting back, colored

"Well? Do they have tails?"
"..."
"DO THEY?"
"*noises of infatuation*"
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#2261 Post by Foxx Trotter »

The tale of tails...wonderful :P
Videre videnda.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#2262 Post by Hulk10 »

Those tigresses sure are curious. I can understand curiousity though. *tail twitches* Gotta admit though, the color makes the pics better. Those Tigresses are so sexy and so is Flora. Purrrrrrrrrrrrr. :heart:

NuclearBird
Master

#2263 Post by NuclearBird »

Meeting the Brother

Oh my God, there are no words to describe the veritable storm of emotion this sketch stirs up in me.
Never has a pairing felt so RIGHT.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#2264 Post by AmigaDragon »

NuclearBird wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 pm Image
Reporting back, colored

"Well? Do they have tails?"
"..."
"DO THEY?"
"*noises of infatuation*"
Has Tom ever mentioned whether this was Therie's first time flirting with Daniels or not?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#2265 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:58 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:14 amThere is something in flora design that I like very much but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.
In my opinion, it likely mostly comes from Tom's skill at a: characterization, and b: drawing facial expressions.

Humans are very good at empathizing with the feelings of others, a useful thing in such a social species. We're so good at it, that it doesn't always even matter if the 'other' in question actually *exists* or not. To us, fictional characters can sometimes be as 'real' as any flesh-and-blood. If it looks like a person and acts like a person, our brains are fully capable of responding to it emotionally even if we know intellectually that it isn't actually a person. And Flora (along with the rest of Tom's characters) definitely meets those criteria.

We know Flora. We've seen her past, we've been with her along the journey of the comic, and we've seen and empathized with her struggles and hopes and fears and dreams, all depicted in a way that feels very real and true-to-life. At least to me, Flora feels real, in a way that frankly many 'actually' real people *don't* - we don't get this sort of incredibly intimate window into the lives of others in the real world! And Tom has shown us her personality and character quite skillfully along the way, and she's simply a very likable person. Flora is the sort of person who would perk up any company, brighten any room, simply by her presence and being who she is - though her cheerful nature, natural optimism, and simple joy in life.

And we can see that, through Tom's skill at depicting emotions in his character's expressions. When we see this drawing, Flora's simple, genuine happiness is easily apparent. It is very obvious just how thoroughly she's enjoying life right at that moment. And happiness really is contagious. We know Flora, we understand her personality, and so this sort of picture makes *us* feel, however dimly, what we imagine she feels. We can imagine it, can almost feel the sun on our faces, hear her delighted laughter, and see the joyful abandon in every motion as we watch her gleefully jump around after the butterflies. We know how content we'd be in her company - how happy it would be in pleasant times, how comforting her presence would be in sad ones - so even though we *can't* be there, the mere thought still soothes us. And in my opinion, of the comic characters she's the one whose personality comes across that way the strongest - all of them would be very interesting to meet and get to know in person, of course, but Flora would probably be the one who'd simply be the most fun to be around.

At least, that's how I see it.
I agree with you Tom is pretty damn good at creating characters that feel, real, nuanced and "alive". Not only that but he is very good at drawing faces, even back in his earlier comics all his characters were really expressive and showed a multitude of emotions.That has to play a part, as you are totally right we are incredible social creatures sometimes to a fault when we start to empathize with fictional characters.
This type of expresiveness uncommon these days. Drawing nuanced and expressive faces is slow, hard and thus expensive. It is far cheaper and faster to have simple faces and only draw emotions when absolutely necessary and usually in an exaggerate way.

Despite you enlightening comment I am not sure that is what i find so appealing about his artstyle. There is something in Toms drawing and writing that appeals to me at a very low level, that is why i read all the comic in just 3 days after I found it. Yet i have no idea what it is i like so much about it!
NuclearBird wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 pm Image
Meeting the Brother

Oh my God, there are no words to describe the veritable storm of emotion this sketch stirs up in me.
Never has a pairing felt so RIGHT.
So now the sketches are previews into future chapters of the comic?
One true pairing material over there
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide