Raine's Modesty

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sacredless
Citizen

Raine's Modesty

#1 Post by Sacredless »

In the latest comic, we have seen Raine's formal acknowledgement of her own feelings on sexuality. (It might be that this happened before in a small way, but this is the first time it's the focus). Raine's sexuality (sexuality as the whole of sexuality, not simply straight-versus-gay) isn't something that came out of the blue. In fact, a lot of the characters in TwoKinds have, in one way or another, acknowledged sexuality as part of their lives.

But, I think that it's important that we discuss Raine's (quote) "modesty" and disect the various aspects that this has, because I think it's more than simply being shy or about being prude. This isn't so much a theory or something I'm going to cite evidence for. It's more about theming and what this could say about Raine as a character.

What It Isn't
A lot of readers seem to read into this, "ow, that's so cute, Raine, why you so shy?". This isn't that big of a surprise, shy or prudish women are a trope that is particularly prevelant in anime and manga, which in turn is a product of Japanese culture of properness (cleanliness wouldn't quite explain it, that has some Abrahamic connotations that I want to avoid). In Japan, the concept of properness is something of a prerogative and, as a result, improperness is kind of a meme and fascination in Japanese society.

But this isn't a meme. I'm not saying "meme" as a derogatory, I mean the technical term "meme" refering to an idea that's easy to communicate and engrain. This isn't simply "well, that's what we're supposed to read this as", or at least, I don't think it is.

Body Image
Body image has been a topic in TwoKinds that's been openly discussed and hinted at with magic as metaphor. Natani is a very big example of this, in terms of gender. However, I think that Raine's body image is closer to home. Raine's not unattractive in her current form and I think that's important. At least, not unattractive through the lens of the Keidran that Tom Fischbach has groomed us for or we already polished ourselves by other means.

Sexuality isn't just the thing where you are attractive and mate. That may be true in nature, but for human/keidran sexuality, the matter is more diverse. It's my opinion that Raine's not (just) being a prude. I'm trying to be careful in the way that I phrase this argument, without making people go, "well, of course". Because, I have the same problem as Raine. The concept of anyone regarding me as sexual or being curious towards my sexuality terrifies me. Not because I think I'm ugly or unattractive, but because I don't feel that my current body is the one that I want people to be attracted to. I want, innately, to be attractive for the body that I had three years ago, prior to an accident that I suffered. I gained a lot of weight in a very short amount of time and I've not been able to lose it since then.

And, I want to emphasize, I don't consider myself unattractive for having gained weight. No, I'm pretty darn handsome and proud of it. I'm proud of the muscle that I have, of my height. My voice is deep and rich, but I think it could use some work. But, right now, the idea that (and don't take this the wrong way), someone touching me, like on the rear or on the genitals, irrationally terrifies me. Because, I don't feel like me right now.

I think that Raine has the same problem. It is modesty, but not modesty that comes from prudishness. It comes from a disconnect between what she considers her body and what her body is right now. She feels violated by it. She feels that baring herself isn't something she can be proud of. If it were her human body, she'd still insist on modesty of course, but theoretically, she could at least take pride in the fact that it's her body. Does that make sense?

Sorry for the ramble. The panel simply made me think about my own body image a lot and it helped me come to terms with it better.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

Re: Raine's Modesty

#2 Post by CrRAR »

Yeah! I think a large part of how we view ourselves comes from our own interpretation of how others view us...which is incredibly subjective. One can feel others viewing your self as negatively or positively, that's all in your mind, really. What are people really thinking of Raine? Well, that's in their minds. What is she thinking others are thinking of her? That's in her mind. By and large, I think people don't actually put much thought specifically into "rating" others in their lives. That's why we really are our own worst enemies when it comes to this. It leads to incredibly cyclical thinking when largely others tend to readily accept those who accept them and themselves. Kind of a paradox really, that a mind can feed itself information that sabotages itself when really all it needs to do is approach things positively.

So I say that confidence (essentially the lack of caring what others think, or rather, what you think others think of you) is really the key here. Raine does lack confidence, her upbringing lends to that; her condition lends to it as well. One reason why she wants to "feel a little more...human" is because being a wolf, for her, embodies the negativity she perceives people view her with. Yup, she still fears embracing her wolf side completely, when really both sides are equally and unequivocally her. She was hidden away most her life because of factors beyond her control; namely morphing into a wolf at odd hours of the day. Which she didn't even come to understand until some years along in her forest exile. She lived much of her childhood blindly thinking she just didn't belong, then randomly discovered her "ability". No doubt a very difficult reality. Sadly, where she found herself throughout her youth may have also been for her own safety since she describes it "would have been a scandal" for people to know what she is. So she learned wolf me = bad. The human/templar social climate shuns wolf-people and morphy-wolf-people so Raine is a product of that. IRL, yes there are always haters out there, but there are greater numbers of those eager to be accepting.

As far as nekkidness and modesty and all that, we are at our most vulnerable without clothes. Though this is a social concept, our most strong imperfections amplify in our mind in this state. The psychology I think is that "Oh no, they can see everything" including all the dumb things our own minds dream up criticizing ourselves (which may have basis in real world stereotypes and the thinking of hostile-minded people). Coming to terms with that after a conservative or unhealthy upbringing does take time but it is just anxiety that can be replaced by confidence.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by SpottedKitty »

On top of all that, apparently Raine having her tail brushed is a massive turn-on (and it's Maren doing the brushing). At this rate, a few more brushes and she might be reduced to speaking in squeaks (think of the mad scientist's hapless minion in the Muppet Show). :shock:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#4 Post by CrRAR »

SpottedKitty wrote:On top of all that, apparently Raine having her tail brushed is a massive turn-on (and it's Maren doing the brushing). At this rate, a few more brushes and she might be reduced to speaking in squeaks (think of the mad scientist's hapless minion in the Muppet Show). :shock:
Oooo, ooOoo, Beaker, that's Beaker! XD

I love the body language and blush of the second-to-last panel combined with the dialog throughout. It really is just perfect.

Ha. I'm half-expecting her keeled over in the background of next page getting furious tummyrubs from Maren!

:maren:: Who's a good girl?? Who's a guhhh grrrl???
(I srsly think I'm submitting this as my sketch suggestion ;D)
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Warrl
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Warrl »

Raine in her current form is very similar in principle to a transgender person - and perhaps a more extreme case than the average transgender, because this form is not only not the way she imagines herself, it's also not the form she's been used to for most of her life.

As for her modesty in the immediate situation, there is also the factor that - they think, or at least they thought at last report - she will shift back to human if she gets sufficiently calm and relaxed. (I wonder if she shifts while asleep.) So if she's going to do something relaxing, like soak in a hot tub for a while, she should be dressed appropriately for a human.

I don't see her being turned-on by the tail-brushing. I see her being pained by the brush hitting and jerking on tangles, and Maren apparently not realizing that there are nerves under that there fur.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by SpottedKitty »

Warrl wrote:I don't see her being turned-on by the tail-brushing. I see her being pained by the brush hitting and jerking on tangles, and Maren apparently not realizing that there are nerves under that there fur.
There's also the scene way back when Red was just beginning to get used to Raine's new appearance, when he caught and stroked her tail (and she nearly kicked him through the side of the tent). Maybe it's just because it's a portion of her anatomy she doesn't have as a human, so feeling anything at all from it gives her a bit of sensory overload. Neither scene looks to me like she's in pain, though, just... feeling very intensely.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery