My theory on the keidran lifespan. (please help!)

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

the thinker

My theory on the keidran lifespan. (please help!)

#1 Post by the thinker »

ok, so im new here but i've been reading the comic for a while and stop me if you guys have heard this before but i have a theory on the Keidran lifespan. basically the theory is that we might be able to relate the lifespan of the average Keidran (roughly 20-25 years) to dog years, and yes i know this is a rough theory as taking the lifespan of 20 years by 7 in human standards a keidran would be roughly 140 years old but with dog years the weight, breed and a few other parameters are factored in (i dont know all of them) but if we look at this it may either solve the keidran lifespan or lead into annother theoy that does solve it. go ahead and run with this how and whereever you want but i'd just like some feedback here as i've hit a wall.

(mind that if there are typos i have no time to proofread this post and i am a speed typer so i may have made a few missteps)

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: My theory on the keidran lifespan. (please help!)

#2 Post by avwolf »

To carry forward the dog analogy, I'm afraid that you're just going to be chasing your own tail.

Tom's on record for saying that there isn't any real equivalency. Of course, that hasn't stopped people from trying to plot "age equations," with one even being a very recent topic and I can find them from a couple years ago in a quick search. We have debated how their lifespan affects their physical and mental maturity as we would measure it, and considered ways that Trace might extend Flora's lifespan.

There's no good or easy way to approximate periods of development between Humans and Keidran.

the thinker

#3 Post by the thinker »

thanks, i wanted to devise a way to se trace extend flora's lifespan myself so im definetely goint to be reading that post. as for the rest of it i had no idea tom was on record for that. cool. thanks for the help.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by avwolf »

If you're interested in how the forum has looked at the question in the past, I'd recommend using the forum's built-in search for the current live forum and amenon's Archive Forum Search for searching the Archive Forum. Most of the links I posted were from a pretty basic search against the Comic Discussion board for "lifespan" (a search term that produces 28 pages of results, but some of those are because it'll return every single post from a thread with "lifespan" in the title).

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by aitaituo »

The dog years idea isn't actually especially accurate. At some brief points in a dog's lifespan, they do roughly mature seven times faster than humans but the ratio doesn't hold into middle age.

However, I have long hypothesized that Keidran reach maturity around 3-4 years of age precisely because that is the trend in large mammals that live 20-25 years, such as dogs and horses. Tom has never been clear on the issue. But if I'm right the more interesting question is when, in what ways, and to what extend do keidran grow old? Humans begin to age between 20-25, around when neurological maturity is reached. Are keidran fully mature at the end of puberty, or do they continue to develop neurologically for years afterward? Do their metabolisms slow? What kind of chronic diseases are endemic to elderly keidran?

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#6 Post by Hulk10 »

Tom has said that in the official canon that Keidran only live to be 20 years old. Also the describers on the lifespan theory thread didn't seem to know that Euchre is actually a Keidran who has been born with the power to shapeshift.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#7 Post by AmigaDragon »

We know from Flora that at 11 she's an adult keidran (though that doesn't tell us how long she's been considered an adult).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#8 Post by GaySailors »

Yeah, I recall discussing this somewhere before. Some Keidren might live into their late 20s, maybe even early 30s, but they mature quickly. Obviously there are evolutionary advantages to this, but thats besides the point.

They think humans and Basitins live unnaturally long lives. Trace didn't take hearing that very well.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by SpottedKitty »

If you look at the posted Patreon sketches, and scroll back to about this time last month, the Maeve Age colour sketch lays it all out clearly.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by aitaituo »

The Maeve Age Chart is the first time we've had any clarity on the issue. It seems like Tom is retconning the max age for keidran, though, so I wonder if he had something different in mind for keidran maturity originally.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#11 Post by Hulk10 »

True but is it official? I know Tom drew it but I want to know for sure if its official to the main story.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

GaySailors
Merchant

#12 Post by GaySailors »

Hulk10 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 pm True but is it official? I know Tom drew it but I want to know for sure if its official to the main story.
It is from what I remember. Even if it isn't, we know from Euriche and Flora that keidren don't usually live longer than their early twenties, sometimes late. I don't believe there's any variance between the keidren races, so Natani, Zen, Flora etc. are all on the same aging scale. I don't actually know if Keith knows this or not. I'd imagine so, considering his past with Laura, but its completely possible the subject never came up. I can't imagine him asking "how long will you live" or Laura mentioning it to him.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by Hulk10 »

They don't in the main comic that's true

GaySailors
Merchant

#14 Post by GaySailors »

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:11 am They don't in the main comic that's true
It's in the main comic. It's mentioned once or twice after this point, but this is really where it is.

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by Cyon »

I think that, as long as it helps forward the plot, the vagueness of a fixed age limit leaves some flexibility around how the story can be structured. If Tom gave us an exact value, it could cut off some possible story paths or influence how we see say Euchre.

Generally speaking, characters important to the plot will probably live longer than expected to prolong the course of the story. If everyone died prematurely, it wouldn't be much fun.
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-