The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

JC the Supreme Tiger
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

Kitten Maeve and Keidran Development

#1 Post by JC the Supreme Tiger »

link
Tom wrote: Baby Keidran start out feral, behaving very much like their animal counterparts. They tend to walk on all fours and are fairly competent after a few weeks, unlike human babies. Over time, as their brains develop, they acquire more anthropomorphic features, and gradually shift in favor of bipedalism. Maeve here is in the in-between stages of development.
I found this very interesting. Is this the firs time Tom has mentioned it? Also, I wonder what this would mean for Flora's child.
Lurk moar; it's never enough.

Taxouckk
New Citizen

Re: Kitten Maeve and Keidran Development

#2 Post by Taxouckk »

The implications oh god
My mind is blowing up from barely three lines of text

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#3 Post by TinyVoices »

http://i.imgur.com/NJiYNVS.png

Oh my gosh that's an adorable concept.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#4 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Verrrry interesting, and quite different from human developmental patterns. As Tom notes, human babies are essentially completely helpless, both mentally and physically, for a much longer time after birth, even accounting for the aging speed differences. It sounds like keidran babies are much less of a tabula rasa at birth - in addition to being physically more capable, they (probably unsurprisingly) seem to have much stronger instinctive survival behavior.

Also, I find it amusing to have my headcanon that young keidran children are habitual nudists confirmed, even if it's not quite how I envisioned. Now I just wish we could get Tom to pin down a few concrete numbers, heh.

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#5 Post by Sage Asuka »

JC the Supreme Tiger wrote: I found this very interesting. Is this the firs time Tom has mentioned it? Also, I wonder what this would mean for Flora's child.
I don't know what it means for her child, but I do know this means we need baby pictures of all the Keidran characters.

For science, of course.
Image Image Image Image

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#6 Post by TinyVoices »

Sage Asuka wrote:I don't know what it means for her child, but I do know this means we need baby pictures of all the Keidran characters.

For science, of course.
At least for now we have Flora as a baby/normal cat.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#7 Post by The Rookie »

This is indeed a very interesting titbit of lore. Kind of similar to how khajiit from the Elder Scrolls age.

Somehow, the first thing I thought of was 'What happens if a infant keidran is mistaken for the animal equivalent?' for example if dog child followed someone home and was mistaken for a dog. Imagine the surprise when fluffy suddenly starts walking up right and talking. :roll:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#8 Post by Jonesy »

I can see Trace completely freaking out when his child begins acting like a stereotypical kitten, instead of what he expects to be a normal baby. Hilarity ensues.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#9 Post by SirJahar »

The Rookie wrote:This is indeed a very interesting titbit of lore. Kind of similar to how khajiit from the Elder Scrolls age.
It reminded me a bit more of the Argonians, but it has been a while since I read "The Lunar Latice" I think it was called.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#10 Post by Bellhead »

Nom. That is all.

(Nobody said it yet)
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Phaing
Master

#11 Post by Phaing »

Jonesy wrote:I can see Trace completely freaking out when his child begins acting like a stereotypical kitten, instead of what he expects to be a normal baby. Hilarity ensues.
You know, this makes me think of the best Anime movie I ever saw.
Its called Wolf Children ... ever seen it?
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlB-SpDMKI[/video]
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#12 Post by Bellhead »

Phaing wrote:Its called Wolf Children ... ever seen it?
I think so... Woman has children with wolf who can take the form of a man, has children who can change their form and doesn't know what to do?

Yeah, I can see the implications. Let's just hope it's not the exact same situation. *knocks on wood*

It's an interesting point, though. I wonder if, after less than a year with Flora, Trace would be ready to be a father. He's willing, and won't back down, but like he said: He's got only as much life experience as time he's been with her. Plus, he'd be raising kids that would go from feral little.. anklebiters, to walking, talking, children, in mere weeks.

Or, if we think the other route and assume this child ages more like a human and less like a keidran.. Well, let's see. This thing, whatever it will be, will be a hybrid. That much has been confirmed by Neutral, many years ago. With that, I'd guess that, in the early stages at least, they would take more influence from their keidran half, becoming more animal than human; learning and moving faster. Although, if we throw in the speed of human development.. this period of "Hello, World! I must do everything!" and "I am animal with animal instincts! NOM!" might last a lot longer.

I could DEFINATELY see Trace questioning his child's behavior and how normal it is after seeing it act like a baby kitten for more than a couple months. That would be something to see. Looking forward to it.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Warrl »

The Rookie wrote:This is indeed a very interesting titbit of lore. Kind of similar to how khajiit from the Elder Scrolls age.

Somehow, the first thing I thought of was 'What happens if a infant keidran is mistaken for the animal equivalent?' for example if dog child followed someone home and was mistaken for a dog. Imagine the surprise when fluffy suddenly starts walking up right and talking. :roll:
It's brought up in some of Florence Ambrose's flashbacks. Bowman's Wolves have approximately-human lifespan, and spend about five years quadrupedal and seeming like ordinary dogs before their hips start changing.

Well, mostly like ordinary dogs. Her owner's mother didn't like picking up and throwing slobbery-wet objects, so didn't play much with her... until one time the lady threw an imaginary ball, and Florence pretended to catch it and drop it at her feet and looked up at her with the typical doggy "throw it again please" expression.

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#14 Post by Jonesy »

Phaing wrote:
Jonesy wrote:I can see Trace completely freaking out when his child begins acting like a stereotypical kitten, instead of what he expects to be a normal baby. Hilarity ensues.
You know, this makes me think of the best Anime movie I ever saw.
Its called Wolf Children ... ever seen it?
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlB-SpDMKI[/video]
I'm aware of it, but I've never seen it. My exposure to anime is sporadic at best.
Warrl wrote:

It's brought up in some of Florence Ambrose's flashbacks. Bowman's Wolves have approximately-human lifespan, and spend about five years quadrupedal and seeming like ordinary dogs before their hips start changing.

Well, mostly like ordinary dogs. Her owner's mother didn't like picking up and throwing slobbery-wet objects, so didn't play much with her... until one time the lady threw an imaginary ball, and Florence pretended to catch it and drop it at her feet and looked up at her with the typical doggy "throw it again please" expression.
I recall reading that as well. Honestly, I'd love Freefall so much more if it was focused on Florence and not as much on that Sam twat.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by SpottedKitty »

<whimper> The cute... it's overwhelming...
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery