#2 Post by Aurora »

Aw. ... That really helps put things into some perspective, ... doesn't it? |D

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: Comic for Saturday, January 23rd, 2016

#3 Post by TinyVoices »

Pretty damn cute.

And way to go, Flora. If you successfully take her back to her mom without getting distracted, you'll have a 50% overall approval rating from me when it comes to your mothering skills.

Raydis
Citizen

#4 Post by Raydis »

Stealth update out of nowhere
Maeve is now officially awesome, and Flora's Momma Instincts are showing
"I used to feel like a man in a woman's body...then my mother gave birth to me."

FurryTanker
New Citizen

#5 Post by FurryTanker »

In one night, Tom Fischback has taken one of the cruelest pages from his comic and made it uplifting. Well done Tom, well done. I still want Iris’s head on a silver platter, though

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#6 Post by SirJahar »

I guess Maeve is more of an urban cat than Flora was at that age.
Still, it is nice to see that there are others who are willing to help her.
Does anyone else think Flora looks and acts more like a house cat than a wild tiger?

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Dadrobit »

Hold on a tick. While yes, the last two pages have certainly allowed for an adorable scene here, I have to question it's... Viability?

Why would Flora's keidran speech have a human lilt to it at all? Pretty much all of her life she's had natural keidran influence through one source or another. Her mother when young, Euchre and any other slaves on the farm for her time as a slave, a whole tribe during her free years, and recently her time with the Magi Bros. Even if she does have a very human accent while speaking human, that should have no effect on her keidran dictation in the slightest.

The worst that the tigers here should have been able to detect and complain about is possibly a wolven accent.

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#8 Post by Vintage »

Aw, such an adorable page! A good way to calm the nerves after the page prior.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#9 Post by Sage Asuka »

I want to hug this small adorable child. Maeve how can you be so cute?
Image Image Image Image

MaverickMopete
Citizen

#10 Post by MaverickMopete »

Dadrobit wrote:Hold on a tick. While yes, the last two pages have certainly allowed for an adorable scene here, I have to question it's... Viability?

Why would Flora's keidran speech have a human lilt to it at all? Pretty much all of her life she's had natural keidran influence through one source or another. Her mother when young, Euchre and any other slaves on the farm for her time as a slave, a whole tribe during her free years, and recently her time with the Magi Bros. Even if she does have a very human accent while speaking human, that should have no effect on her keidran dictation in the slightest.

The worst that the tigers here should have been able to detect and complain about is possibly a wolven accent.
It doesn't even have to be a human lilt. It's just those Tiger (Word that rhymes with Witch)es being all "Tigerier-than-thou" and giving Flora a hard time because there's something slightly different about Flora's voice compared to that of a "normal tiger"'s.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#11 Post by BadFoMo »

Not to spoil the moment or anything, but does anyone else see Flora and Maeve accidentally slipping past Adira and walking into who or what ever just came through the portal?

P.S. January 23rd? I thought this was the 24th :P.

P.P.S. The sketch my be found here (why did we start getting these things anyway [not that I'm complaining]?).
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#12 Post by The Rookie »

Dadrobit wrote:Hold on a tick. While yes, the last two pages have certainly allowed for an adorable scene here, I have to question it's... Viability?

Well Flora was still very young when she was placed amongst humans, possibly during a pivotal point in the formation of her speech, just like real life. Being amongst humans during this time, she learnt how to speak their language and seems as if she considers human to be her 'default language' since she spends the majority of her time speaking in human, even if kiedran is as easy (Or easier to communicate in for both parties.

After a few years living amongst humans and speaking primarily in their language, it makes sense that'd she'd have developed a human 'twang' to her speech.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ReBob
Council Member

#13 Post by ReBob »

Twang is a good way to describe it. She apparently speaks the keidran tongue like a human would.

This is a great page, great last panel. I can't even put into words how moving this is to me, and not what I expected to happen. I hope people like Iris haven't been that rude to little Maeve here, but I somehow doubt they'd have the decency to pull their blows for a child. People like Iris could potentially crush the spirit of someone like Maeve. That is, if they don't have a strong role-model to look after them. Or a strong mother. Guess she's fine.

Man, I hate Iris a lot right now.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#14 Post by Schrodinger »

The Rookie wrote:

Well Flora was still very young when she was placed amongst humans, possibly during a pivotal point in the formation of her speech, just like real life. Being amongst humans during this time, she learnt how to speak their language and seems as if she considers human to be her 'default language' since she spends the majority of her time speaking in human, even if kiedran is as easy (Or easier to communicate in for both parties.

After a few years living amongst humans and speaking primarily in their language, it makes sense that'd she'd have developed a human 'twang' to her speech.
It doesn't take all that long for an accent to develop. Spend a length of time with people speaking a different dialect and you start to talk the same way. It's as simple as putting the emPHAsis on the wrong syLLAble.

This is a touching scene and a good way to show Flora with some emotional maturity.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

kryss
Master

#15 Post by kryss »

(small noise) ... (lipwibble) ... (firm lip) That ... good job, Tom. Good job. I think those two comics sum up the entirety of the main theme of the comic beautifully, that right there. That just sums it all up.

As for the questions of others...

An ex of mine had grown up in the deep south, but had moved up to the north for over a decade. However, my ex's parents considered my ex to have a 'Northern Twang' in speech, even while people from the North would consider it a southern twang.

It matters strongly what's become your normal mode of speech for the last few years... the more you speak a different language, or are immersed in another dialect, the more that language or dialect will influence your way of speaking. To that end, it is *entirely* possible to have a 'twang' in your voice that only people you're expecting to fit in with will notice. I'm sure that a non-tiger listening to Flora would consider her to have a 100% Keidren accent ... or lack thereof.
In the name of meaningless forum discussion!

2fangs: The Magi Bros Fanfic (part 5 on 3/26/2009)