Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Comic for Wednesday, January 20, 2015

#1 Post by Bellhead »

Alt text: "TRUE" TIGERS

Such detail... I love it.

And Flora's face in those last two panels is heartbreaking, but it's so well done. The expressions are beautiful.

And so I'm the first to post it, 'dat figure' on "Iris".

I know I recognize the way she's talking... It's reminiscent of something... I just can't place it.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Meribah
Citizen

Re: Comic for Wednesday, January 20, 2015

#2 Post by Meribah »

Ouch. That was mean, but not unexpected. Poor Flora. :( On the bright side, the artwork is beautiful!

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#3 Post by BadFoMo »

I was gone for about half of the day and I'm only a few minutes late?! I find this fascinating.

Anyway;
Bellhead wrote:And so I'm the first to post it, 'fat figure' on "Iris".
What you mean by 'fat figure'? She looks like she was bred to be pleasing towards Humans.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

gertok9
Master

#4 Post by gertok9 »

Eugh. I hate Iris so far, but she probably won't become an important character... Right?
Unofficial editor/proofreader of Twokinds
How triggered are you right now?

Napoleon
Citizen

#5 Post by Napoleon »

Knew it. But that's actually pretty intreasting; I never would of thought their would be disdain for those that were previously or currently slaves. That sounds stupid if one studies American history, but you know what I mean. Now all we have to wait for is hellsling guy call for bloody murder, have someone ship Iris and Flora, and we'll have a average comic discussion.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#6 Post by The Rookie »

Ouch, that was soul crushing.

However this brings up an interesting point. How do Keidran feel about their species being slaves?

I always assumed it'd be a point of tension between free keidran in human lands, but here they seem to cast them aside as 'domesticated', which was really unexpected.

True, this is just going of one conversation, but it just opens up some interesting theories that I'd never have thought about.

For example, if this is how free keidran feel toward human held keidran, would Kat be considered an abomination?
Secondly, what about Evals? How would he react having gained his freedom, only to be cast aside by those he idolised?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Taxouckk
New Citizen

#7 Post by Taxouckk »

I hate her.
I hate her I hate her I hate her I hate her.
Did you hear my extremely valuable opinion about Iris? I hate her.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#8 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Heh, saw that one coming a mile off. Not that that required much foresight, the setup last time was pretty clear. Interesting to note though that while catty tigress is catty, as expected, the other one sounds like she might be a bit more sympathetic. (Though not *necessarily* by much - 'don't be mean' doesn't necessarily imply disagreement with the sentiment, after all.)

I think Flora has been around humans (and, more importantly, human *society*) too long. She's used to being considered 'other', but specifically *because* she's a keidran. In that case basically any other keidran is a natural ally, simply because they're in the exact same boat, and I think she's gotten too used to that being the case. Especially given that the last time she was in keidran society she got drafted (somehow, I'm assuming we'll get more details if/when the story enters tiger territory) as an envoy to the wolves specifically *because* of her experiences in human lands, she's completely blindsided to see how 'her people' might actually regard her without that artificial status boost.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#9 Post by tony1695 »

While what Iris said has some merit, the delivery is the part that really cements her as 'alpha [censored]' material.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by Ketzal »

Wow. [censored] tigress #36.

...can't really come up with anything else relevant. Nice butt, I guess

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#11 Post by FrogSteaks »

Wow, what a [censored]. At least her friend(?) didn't resort to such degradation.
Taxouckk wrote:I hate her.
I hate her I hate her I hate her I hate her.
Did you hear my extremely valuable opinion about Iris? I hate her.
Heh, tell us how you really feel.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#12 Post by Schrodinger »

MuonNeutrino wrote:Heh, saw that one coming a mile off. Not that that required much foresight, the setup last time was pretty clear. Interesting to note though that while catty tigress is catty, as expected, the other one sounds like she might be a bit more sympathetic. (Though not *necessarily* by much - 'don't be mean' doesn't necessarily imply disagreement with the sentiment, after all.)
Yeah, not a hard hurdle to clear for the savvy reader. It's possible that the second tigress might pityFlora for being domesticated. It's demeaning, but in a different fashion.
MuonNeutrino wrote:I think Flora has been around humans (and, more importantly, human *society*) too long. She's used to being considered 'other', but specifically *because* she's a keidran. In that case basically any other keidran is a natural ally, simply because they're in the exact same boat, and I think she's gotten too used to that being the case. Especially given that the last time she was in keidran society she got drafted (somehow, I'm assuming we'll get more details if/when the story enters tiger territory) as an envoy to the wolves specifically *because* of her experiences in human lands, she's completely blindsided to see how 'her people' might actually regard her without that artificial status boost.
It's not uncommon for nomadic peoples to forge working relationships based on a marriage. The very same qualities that make Flora perfect for an arranged marriage is exactly what would make her an outcast among her own people. She just happened to be a convenient bargaining chip and nothing more. When she was lost in transit she was just as easily written off. I've maintained for years that Flora has an inflated sense of self-importance in the face of interracial politics.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#13 Post by Bellhead »

BadFoMo wrote:Anyway;
Bellhead wrote:And so I'm the first to post it, 'fat figure' on "Iris".
What you mean by 'fat figure'? She looks like she was bred to be pleasing towards Humans.
I SWEAR I hit D. Chalk it up to.. uh... ergonomic keyboard?

What I meant was to say 'holy cow, sexy tiger butt' and be the first to say it.

GOT IT! Finally!
That speach style, the way she talks.. it finally clicked. Naturally, it's country living style. "Sweetie", "hun", "ta-ta", well maybe not that last one quite as much. But now that I recognize it, or at least think I do, I can rest soundly.

And again, I say, I cannot praise Flora's expressions enough. Simply masterful.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Warrl »

Somebody made a potentially serious error. Possibly several somebodies.

If you want a diplomatic mission to succeed, you don't gratuitously degrade or insult ANYONE until you are 100% certain EXACTLY who they are.

And identifying Flora as a "pet" - even if it were accurate - isn't sufficient, because Iris does not know WHOSE pet she is. She could (for all Iris knows) be a favorite of the humans' chief negotiator, sent to gather information on the keidran delegation.

So if Iris wants the diplomatic mission to succeed, she made a serious mistake - and if this sort of behavior is normal for her, then whoever put her in the delegation also erred.

If, on the other hand, she wants it to fail, then she may have tipped her hand too soon - and in any event putting her in the delegation was an error.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by SpottedKitty »

Hmm, I was wondering if any of the other tigers would notice something off about Flora's speech, some influence of her upbringing among humans.

And notice that her actual question was ignored, as soon as Iris-the-Dynasty-harridan heard her voice...
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery