The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for Wednesday, December 16, 2015

#61 Post by Dadrobit »

Dadrobit wrote:
TheWMM wrote:lotsa' math
Ok, so after spending some time stewing at work last night, I finally figured out what was wrong with your math here, and it's actually quite a simple fix.
You're working too damned hard!
Watch, this entire problem can be solved far easier using just basic triangle proofs and algebra when I present it as it might be found on an AIMS test.

This problem is entirely solvable through simple knowledge of AAA Similar Triangle Proofs. And we know that these two triangles are AAA similar because we know that at least two of the angles are exactly the same, (all reference points are 90° perpendicular to the ground and the sun hasn't moved so the shadows will be cast identically as well) and therefore the third will be identical as well. It stands as a proof furthermore that all equivalent sides of AAA Similar triangles are proportionate lengths to each other, so it's just a matter of figuring out how the inner triangle of triangle L is sized in comparison to triangle P, and then using that to find edge Z. Add 24 to Z to simulate 2 feet behind Sera, and then you can find edge X through comparison of the equivalent edges back in triangle P.

You don't need to know the position of Edinmere, you don't need the time of day or the general position of the sun, you don't need SOHCAHTOA at all. All of that information might be interesting to know, but it's completely superfluous. All you need to know is that all triangles are AAA similar, and just enough edge data to figure out proportions which we have just enough of. Substitute any number you want for estimation of distance behind Sera the Ace is, or substitute any number for estimation of size the Ace is to find the distance behind Sera they are standing. Either way, no more maths is required beyond basic addition and multiplication.

Elegance in Simplicity yo.

**EDIT**

Just want to assure you however that it is cool to find extraneous data sometimes, it's just that here it really is just extra work.

**EDIT EDIT**

Whoops, sorry for the double post, meant to hit edit, not quote... :(

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#62 Post by kiabugboy »

Dadrobit wrote: NOPE
all these math discussions and i'm here like,

Elio
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora,remi

#63 Post by Elio »

Lady :nora: is that you if so I missed her so much

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#64 Post by Vintage »

Dadrobit wrote:
TheWMM wrote:lotsa' math
Ok, so after spending some time stewing at work last night, I finally figured out what was wrong with your math here, and it's actually quite a simple fix.
You're working too damned hard!
I'm wrong even though we got the same answer. Ok then...

Truth be told, I didn't recognize the pole and it's shadow as a similar triangle which did lead to some extra steps. But it just goes to show that you shouldn't do math at night. (;_;)

But hey - a right answer's a right answer.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#65 Post by Dadrobit »

TheWMM wrote:I'm wrong even though we got the same answer. Ok then...

Truth be told, I didn't recognize the pole and it's shadow as a similar triangle which did lead to some extra steps. But it just goes to show that you shouldn't do math at night. (;_;)

But hey - a right answer's a right answer.
:? Well you weren't wrong, you just engineered in a bunch of moving parts that didn't need to be there. And the problem with moving parts is that with each new step, there are more points for potential failure that could have been avoided through efficiency.

Case in point: you originally mixed up two angles and their degrees. A clerical error that the proof method avoids entirely.

I'm not debating your accuracy, I'm just encouraging efficiency.

Also yes, tired mathing is always a bad idea.

Also, also, I apologize for spelling/grammar errors or bluntness. Currently typing on a phone...