Trace and Database Error Theory of Relation

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Commander-Strife
New Citizen

Trace and Database Error Theory of Relation

#1 Post by Commander-Strife »

So among the threads about our supposed leader of Group B, I've noticed the strange lack of threads wondering about Database Error's identity. I will be referring to him as his other, more commonly known nickname, Red.
Many have speculated his name, but I can't find too many speculating who he is, since... he's the only character whom has the least backstory to him, among the Group A or B characters of Twokinds' story.

I mean... We know a little bit about each character, but I kinda feel that we know more about Mrs. Nibbly than we do with Red. I'm implying that we know more about the squirrel, than we do a man who is/was one of Trace's friends.

All we know about him, is that he is good friends with Trace, dropped out of the Tmeplar Academy due to not having much magical talent whatsoever, and is rather specist/racist against keidrans. He has Red hair, is/was part of a militia in the town he used to live in, and seems to be Group B's Trace, only with a literally inverted hair color... which comes to my main bit of realization as to who Red is identity-wise.

When I was doing wierd things in Gimp, I took a picture of Trace, and inverted it, and BOOM. Trace's hair color is a literally perfect opposite of Red's hair color. I remember somewhere on the internet, it was implied that those with inverted hair colors to someone, could possibly be their inverted twin, like an evil, alternate universe sibling.

What if Red was actually Trace's Brother?

Just humor me here.

There's no literal reason why a person wouldn't have a name. He doesn't seem to be a Mask, if he was, he probly wouldn't be in Group B, since I think the Masks would want to keep an eye on Trace. We don't know what their limits are, but I'm certain that he isn't one. Being in Group B has no advantage for such a character since... well they're barely part of the core story of Twokinds at the moment. Why is his name, not only missing, but straight-up unknown by all that know him?

My theory is this. Before Trace took the step to become the Grand Templar, he wiped the memory of all Red had ever known, of his very identity, and even did so with Red, ins such a way that it hasn't surface yet, then removed historical evidence of his existence other than very vague, and common info, like age, species, job, etc. Stuff any 40 people would have in common. why though? Well, I think it would be to protect Red. If Trace and Red are brothers, where Trace maybe took Red's magical talent somehow, or Red never got any at all, while Trace got all that Red would've gotten in addition to his own portion of the magical talent...

Imagine how hard it would be, to protect your sibling, be the Grand Templar, and keep such a position without your own brother's very existence being used against you. Forcefully replacing a Grand Templar cannot be a clean operation, and even if it were, I'm fairly sure such an action would garner many enemies.
A brother whom is borderline-useless if not 100% useless for magical abilities would stand to disrupt keeping such a spot on the ladder.

We don't know how the politics of the Grand Templar position works, but I'm imagining that having such a brother would undermine having such a job, as people would question how such an untalented person was the brother of Trace. Such a brother could be used (in theory) to replace Trace after possibly killing him, or luring him into a trap designed for him and locking him away, then used as a puppet to do your dirtywork, guiding the Templar to do whatever you wanted.

In my mind, it's the only explanation that I can come up with, after trying for the last two years to think of SOMETHING, I came up with this. Red's own identity was scorched from records, memories of him and his friends, to protect both him, and Trace as Trace ascended to the highest position in the Templar, to enact his truly dark goals aimed at ridding the world of Keidran.

If true, it would explain why nobody knows who Red's actual name is. Trace could know, if he wasn't suffering from Amnesia that is. Trace indeed didn't know Red, despite being good friends apparently, after waking up from his memories being stolen/buried.

That's all. I just find it odd that Red basically has the least backstory of any Group A/B character in the series pretty much. Even Mrs. Nibbly has a bit more backstory to her, but Red...

Red's an anomaly. A character with depth, but no really known history, and I have a feeling it might play a part in the climax of Twokinds' story.

Hope you enjoyed reading, sorry if I ramble, or go in circles. xD
Outer Space is annoying. Wormholes are worse.

Deviantart

ReBob
Council Member

Re: Trace and Database Error Theory of Relation

#2 Post by ReBob »

My only counterpoint is the dialogue on page 686, where if none of Group B knew his real name they'd have probably called out at some point their inability to remember it. Even going by the assumption that Scythe doesn't know it, Raine later calls out on page 718 why Scythe keeps calling him Red, which implies she knows his name as well.

Not saying the theory of them being related can't be a thing, but with how its been handled so far having it revealed later to the extent that people would have it wiped from their memory and not realize just seems like an afterthought.

A better question is what role would it serve outside of preserving Trace's position of power? I don't think he was worried about anyone usurping his role, considering he was the most powerful mage in (known to us) history and kept an even more powerful magic user (Nora) as a close ally. Barring the attack from the Mask at the start, I doubt anything would have been capable of toppling his reign anyway. Sith Lord Trace has shown this to be the case.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Warrl »

Also, the illusion-Maren was put to the test by being asked what Red's name is. Wouldn't have been much of a test if Red, Raine, and Sythe all didn't know.

Stormlight
Merchant

#4 Post by Stormlight »

While I think it's unlikely that Red is Trace's brother, one does get the feeling that they've known each other and been friends for a very long time. I get more of a "childhood friends that have kept being friends their whole lives" kind of vibe from them, especially when Red first shows some wisdom after the Neutral. When he kindly told Trace to get out of dodge before the Templar came looking for him, he also indicated that he would not turn them in at the same time. Red felt more loyalty towards the new Trace he didn't fully know than he did towards the Templar he used to be a part of, and was even willing to overlook Trace's involvement with Keith and Flora. That respect for Trace's choices had to have come from an earlier respect that ran pretty deep.

Tom has a tendency to unexpectedly expand and deepen an established character in big and awesome ways. Usually at the same time they're also suddenly playing a much more significant role in the story than expected. I get the feeling that Red's turn just hasn't come along yet, and Tom is saving him for later. Perhaps even for his own arc. We'll definitely be learning more little bits and pieces as group b solidifies and he continues to be a kind of informal leader. When we do learn his name, though, I expect that we'll have some sort of party. :P
"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are true and our hearts are open." -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Scow2
Citizen

#5 Post by Scow2 »

Warrl wrote:Also, the illusion-Maren was put to the test by being asked what Red's name is. Wouldn't have been much of a test if Red, Raine, and Sythe all didn't know.
Unless it didn't know they didn't know, and the test is trying to see if they try to weasel out of answering instead of either confidently stating their ignorance, or genuinely realizing they don't know (... "wow... it never really came up...")

imalbert
Master

#6 Post by imalbert »

Scow2 wrote:Also, the illusion-Maren was put to the test by being asked what Red's name is. Wouldn't have been much of a test if Red, Raine, and Sythe all didn't know.
Warrl wrote:Unless it didn't know they didn't know, and the test is trying to see if they try to weasel out of answering instead of either confidently stating their ignorance, or genuinely realizing they don't know (... "wow... it never really came up...")
In this case, the only ones that needed to know were "Red" and Maren. Sythe and Raine didn't know either of them until they joined their group.