On the subject of Red's name and page 88

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

theo.friberg

On the subject of Red's name and page 88

#1 Post by theo.friberg »

Hello.

First I will have to apologize, as this has been talked about before. However I think, that I may be able to add something to the question.

On page 88, Maren allmost pronounces Red's name or nickname. Here is the page:

Now: We know that the text is center-aligned. After finding the horizontal center of the line above Maren being interrupted, we also know the center of the second line. Then we can see how much more right the leftmost end of the second line is, compared to the first. When we do:

upper line's width - (difference in alignment of the lower one) X 2

We get the full length of the lower line. Then we substract the width before the first letter of Red's supposed name or nickname, and we get the length of it in pixels wich is ca. 23-25 pixels.

As agreed on the wiki, the first letter can only be:

- B
- D
- P
- R

Then we start treating the second letter: We can't see it, but, after a consonant letter, and with the limited space available, it must be a vowel. (Ptolemaios doesn't fit :grin: ) Also, as we can't see it, it must not be too high, thus it could only be:

- a
- e
- o
- u

Then, we know, that the sentence end in a question-mark: we are not left with much space. So we can only fit two i-letters or two l-letters, the combinations il, it li or ti or one other letter. W is too wide. So there are 4 X 4 X 27 possible combinations, which makes 432. Out of these the following could actually be names:

- Bee
- Bob
- Ben
- Bud

- Dan
- Dax
- Den
- Don

- Pat

- Rae
- Ras
- Ray
- Red
- Rex
- Rey
- Rob
- Rod
- Roe
- Ron
- Roy

- Basil <-- in theory still possibble

Out of these twenty-one, most go one or two pixels out of the given range (25).

Here is the most narrow, backed by logic, exhaustive and meaningful list I could come up with.

I personally believe that Maren simply said:

Hey, aren't you forgetting something there, Red?

"Red?" would actually be within the 23-25px range.

Thoughts?

Chris
Templar

Re: On the subject of Red's name and page 88

#2 Post by Chris »

A similar thing happens here. I wouldn't put much stock in the length of the bubble though. Since his name was being cut off, the bubble would be made to fit the shortened text.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Warrl »

It's also entirely possible that everyone in the village knew his real name, but there were four other guys with the same name so they all went by use-names. And his was "Red", for obvious reasons.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#4 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Bee

I'm so sorry. I had to.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Thebirddk
Traveler

#5 Post by Thebirddk »

Im pretty sure his nickname was never red since the first time :sythe: called him red he seemed pretty pissed...

Just my 2 cents

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

Thebirddk wrote:Im pretty sure his nickname was never red since the first time :sythe: called him red he seemed pretty pissed...

Just my 2 cents
Could also be that he hated it as a nickname from before. Like the kid who's six and a half feet tall, and everyone still calls him shorty.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

I think its Data, short for [Database.(huehuehuehue)

Bellhead wrote:
Thebirddk wrote:Im pretty sure his nickname was never red since the first time :sythe: called him red he seemed pretty pissed...

Just my 2 cents
Could also be that he hated it as a nickname from before. Like the kid who's six and a half feet tall, and everyone still calls him shorty.
Maybe his name could be Blue. (huehuehuehuehue)

Sorry, I've been in a rather joking mood. I must say that its pretty darn cool that you came up with this based only with the logical assumption given, though I am unsure if it is supposed to be intended that way.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#8 Post by primalcaller ergos »

I aprove of his name being Data.

Although I do think it would be hilarious if his name was actually "Red" the entire time.

Since you know, that would mean Scythe and Zen would be all "Why the hell are you named that? Is it because of your hair?"
Then he could be all "NO! my dad has green hair and his last name is Red, it is just our family name going back a really long time! Like, centuries or something!"

The funniest part would be that Red could be his Last/family name, and then his first name could still be a mystery.
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me

theo.friberg

#9 Post by theo.friberg »

Hello. Sorry for both the wall of text and the spelling.

Chris: True, the name may have been cut. I totally agree that this is just a well-educated guesstimate. I checked the link you gave, and applied the same method as before. I don't have access to a desktop-device right now, but by counting pixels on my phone, I came up with a length of 25-27 px (the approximation is due to antialiasing and butterfingeredness). Now, with the different font, it could well fit "Red...". (Or any of the other names on the list plus "..."). So the image doesn't prove the theory to be false.

Warri: Plausible. We know that Zen spontaneously did that, after all, so why wouldn't someone else venture the same guess?

InceptionBwaaa: :shock: ... Let us hope that Tom doesn't come up with that idea...

Thebirddk: Maybe. I would say, that Red was already pretty unnervated, to quote the page in question:

:sythe: : "Thanks for all the help by the way, "Red." [sarcasm]"

:redhair: : "Hey, I dunno nothing bout' Keidran or healing. And don't call me that."

I would rather think Red to be irritated by the insult, and then respond aggressively to the nickname. But why not?

Bellhead: That's another plausible explanation.

Geo_&_Bio: To cause a database-error, the name could be Robert'); DROP TABLE characters ; -- :roll: . As for the assumption, it is still pretty big.

primalcaller ergos: :shock: people on this thread are really giving ideas to Tom...

Gabriel of creosha: Yes, that's pretty much it.

amenon
Grand Templar

#10 Post by amenon »

theo.friberg wrote: Geo_&_Bio: To cause a database-error, the name could be Robert'); DROP TABLE characters ; -- :roll: . As for the assumption, it is still pretty big.
Aaaaaand headcanon.

But I'm rooting for Blue on the general principle that he has green eyes and red hair. Family name Black or White.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

gertok9
Master

#11 Post by gertok9 »

I personally think his name is Barry. Even if that is too long to fit in the speech bubble. As Chris said, the bubble would have been shortened.
Unofficial editor/proofreader of Twokinds
How triggered are you right now?

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#12 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

gertok9 wrote:I personally think his name is Barry. Even if that is too long to fit in the speech bubble. As Chris said, the bubble would have been shortened.
Barry B. Red?

See the above post.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Ayi
Traveler

#13 Post by Ayi »

I'm not sure we will ever find out what his real name is. I've always seen it as some kind of running gag and will just call him Red.

Ayi
Traveler

#14 Post by Ayi »

1071-CCN wrote:
Ayi wrote:I'm not sure we will ever find out what his real name is. I've always seen it as some kind of running gag and will just call him Red.
In Freefall, we still don't know the names of the Mayor and her Assistant, but they seem to be perfectly good characters anyway.

Well, not that the Mayor is "perfectly good," but you know what I mean.
not really, since I do not know Freefall. ;)