What if Fanart were Canon?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

What if Fanart were Canon?

#1 Post by Envy661 »

This is an interesting topic of discussion that came up earlier when Conkorbirdy mentioned this in the Twokinds Skype Chat. The subject matter of this statement he made was unrelated, but it did have me thinking a bit about some of the Twokinds fan art out there. (And lets not degrade this to constant talks of the NSFW fanart, shall we? Keep references PG-13, or at least respect other members by keeping NSFW links to LINKS, and not posted pictures, with a clear statement that the source material is NSFW).

So I want to ask you all... What if some of the fanart or non-canon apocrypha of the Twokinds universe was actually canon? What if Leoian really was Flora's brother? What if Taina really did date Trace? And then Keith? And then God knows who else? What if Flora's baby really was a Basitin?

And what about non-canon works by Tom himself? What if the sack of Potatos really was piloting the ship? What if Natani really did put those vibrating panties on? What if Keith really did take that picture of Natani's behind? What if Laura really was a dominatrix? WHAT IF KEITH REALLY OWNS A BANANA SUIT?!?!

It's interesting to think about the changes that could happen. I haven't read any fanfics about Twokinds, honestly, but I would love it if someone who has would contribute some great ones, and address how they think the overall story would change if those changes were made.

Twokinds is rather linear, but it's often enjoyable to look at the "What-ifs" from time to time and consider what could be, and what could happen. What if Flora wasn't even a part of the story? What if Scyth wasn't? Lets use this thread to discuss any of the possibilities to our heart's content.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

ConkerBirdy
Templar GrandMaster
Location: On top of a jelly cloud away from the evil monkey zombie ninjas who wield flaming fire swords.

Re: What if Farnart were Canon?

#2 Post by ConkerBirdy »

For those who want context, basically I got into a 5 hour arguement about why 'bikini cosplayers' are damaging the image of female cosplayers and this was the result.

Heres a summary of the arguement
So I had an arguement on some cosplayer's page for the past 5 hours, this is a quick summary of it.

"What I learnt from this arguement:

1. If the artist draws something unrelated to the comic its still considered canon no matter what he says.

2. Fanart is canon.

3. You dont need to look like the character for it to be a cosplay of said character.

4. Criticism = Verbal abuse

5. "Criticism should only come when someone asks for it."
I personally think the last one is a touchy one but i think its horrible advice imho.

But yeah, this brung up a thought, "What if every TwoKinds fanart and everything Tom drew was officially canon?" This included Taina, Leoian and fan theories/fanfiction.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

Re: What if Fanart were Canon?

#3 Post by jacobc62 »

So....

Trace, Natani, Zen, Sythe, Red, Mike, and Eric would all actually drive stock-cars?

Trace and Flora's child would actually be Jennifer Legacy, who then falls in love with Ryan Vaughan (Eric and Kathrin's adopted child), whose best friend is Stryder Silverlock (Raine and [Database Error]'s child)?

Evil me would have an epic battle of epicness and magic with Trace at some point in time?

Trace would sacrifice himself so The Doctor could save the rest of the main cast (and eventually all of Mekkan) from Daleks, to the Doctor's dismay?

My fursona's GF, Katarenia, would actually be a long-distant descendant of Flora and Trace (6th generation, 3rd cousin to the person of direct lineage, twice removed)? And her mother would be Ennek from Draconia Chronicles?

Somewhere out in a different universe, there's a furry version of The Doctor? And his son is traveling the universe in his old TARDIS?

There's tons more, but I'm gonna stop there.....
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#4 Post by Schrodinger »

Would also mean Twokinds is a lot smuttier than Keenspot shows. And also that I murdered Taina. I like this new interpretation.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#5 Post by Envy661 »

jacobc62 wrote:So....

Trace, Natani, Zen, Sythe, Red, Mike, and Eric would all actually drive stock-cars?

Trace and Flora's child would actually be Jennifer Legacy, who then falls in love with Ryan Vaughan (Eric and Kathrin's adopted child), whose best friend is Stryder Silverlock (Raine and [Database Error]'s child)?

Evil me would have an epic battle of epicness and magic with Trace at some point in time?

Trace would sacrifice himself so The Doctor could save the rest of the main cast (and eventually all of Mekkan) from Daleks, to the Doctor's dismay?

My fursona's GF, Katarenia, would actually be a long-distant descendant of Flora and Trace (6th generation, 3rd cousin to the person of direct lineage, twice removed)? And her mother would be Ennek from Draconia Chronicles?

Somewhere out in a different universe, there's a furry version of The Doctor? And his son is traveling the universe in his old TARDIS?

There's tons more, but I'm gonna stop there.....
Yes.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#6 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

They'd all be pixelated, thanks to my sprites :wink: That reminds me, I should make another one, if I find the time.

Kaz
Master

#7 Post by Kaz »

Simply put, all hell would break loose. The universe will spontaneously explode leaving behind a ball of dust that will slowly transform into Tom's face. A small chunk of that will break off to form Mekkan, which then spontaneously explodes with the power of a few billion Tzar Bombas. This will open up a wormhole causing obi-wan to plummet headfirst into the now-lifeless universe where avwolf will greet him with a potato cheese wheel for a hat. Him will then promptly start swimming in nothingness until ANOTHER portal opens up where all of my crazy theories come out as novels which then congest to form Distortion-Mekkan (Similar to D'ni from Riven) where Trace is a potato and Flora becomes GLaDOS. ticoun will promptly be absorbed into the testing facility where Flora is housed. He will then disassemble FLORaDOS and place her into the Trace potato which randomly fell from the sky. In a freak explosion, the potato will go flying into the Tom face in the sky where it bounces off his favorite glasses straight into yet ANOTHER portal which leads to a planet of purely potatoes where Potato Trace and FLORaDOS are lost forever as a cow comes and eats a few of the potatoes, causing the balance of the potato planet to go out of whack and spray potatoes into other universes. Raine gets hit on the head by Potato Trace and permanently transforms into a human while Sythe turns into a house. Maren and Karen will become volcanoes, causing Human Raine, Potato Trace, and FLORaDOS to all take cover in the Sythe house for the rest of their lives. Eric then comes and tries to use the gender-change thu'um (veiliin rediirah vuldak) incorrectly, transporting them to a dimension where they drift endlessly until jacobc62 comes in his racecar and accidentally knocks them adrift into yet ANOTHER universe where they sadly die. Meanwhile, ponjos, Kyrit, and Zylver will have an argument about why it's wrong to type in 150pt blue font.

I'm not sure whether I need more medicine or less.

Insanity level: [ SYSTEM OVERLOAD ]

No offense to anyone mentioned in the above post. I really didn't mean it. Just having fun :D

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#8 Post by TinyVoices »

Is this actually supposed to bring up discussion? It seems like it would drag in a large assortment of comments. I mean, above me is a number of posts saying "my fanon is now canon, yay!". Which isn't discussion.

And so then there's the more serious questions of how it would affect the story. Which I feel we've either made threads about in the past, or else this thread is just too wide to really serve its purpose.

I'm gonna guess Conker's "So I had an arguement" list is facetious, but mostly because it doesn't seem very serious. I suppose this was just meant for context, though, so I'll leave it I suppose.

Fanon is often a very big wrench which is thrown into the gears. Sometimes it can work, but this tends to be why fan made characters and such, should be left out where possible. Beyond this statement, I can't really argue about "Re: What if Fanart were Canon?". It's too bulky to attack without sliding into the off-topic comments like how everybody else is making.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#9 Post by Envy661 »

TinyVoices wrote:
Fanon is often a very big wrench which is thrown into the gears. Sometimes it can work, but this tends to be why fan made characters and such, should be left out where possible. Beyond this statement, I can't really argue about "Re: What if Fanart were Canon?". It's too bulky to attack without sliding into the off-topic comments like how everybody else is making.
Well, to be honest, I really enjoy "Fanon" as you call it, that exists in the same world, but doesn't conflict with the main story in any way. Honestly, I think stories like this should at least be reviewed for canon purposes in order to discern other events within the lore of the universe the author created aside from the main story. I love expanded universe stuff, because it makes that universe feel more alive and immersive, so long as it doesn't conflict with proper canon. At the same time, I hate it when authors, even if they created the universe, go against expanded universe content so blatantly and nonchalantly. This is what I call "Pulling a Disney", but I'll set aside the Star Wars debate for later.

Not all things written into the expanded universe should be labelled as "Expanded Universe Canon", of course. Not everything is up to snuff, or there are some things that conflict with others. But I do think that allowing the fans SOME creative control in the universe is a good thing. It's how we learn Boba Fett escaped the Sarlaac Pit, how Luke created a new jedi order, or how his son was addicted to drugs. It's how we get major names like Darth Bane and Exar Kuun in the mix. It's how KoTOR came to be. It's all expanded universe.

Think of the potential for expanded universe for Twokinds stuff. How did the Human-Keidran war start? What was the story behind the East and West Basitins switching sides? It's all up for debate, and it all may not be things the author, Tom himself, wants to write. So who knows? Maybe Tom will allow a fan-based expanded universe, where he goes through and defines which stories are going to be canon to that expanded universe and which ones don't make the grade. I personally think it would be awesome to see, and make the Twokinds universe much much bigger.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

kellade
Master
Location: Somewhere between the realms of technicolor horses, killer yet adorable animatronics, and reality.

#10 Post by kellade »

TinyVoices wrote:Is this actually supposed to bring up discussion? It seems like it would drag in a large assortment of comments. I mean, above me is a number of posts saying "my fanon is now canon, yay!". Which isn't discussion.

And so then there's the more serious questions of how it would affect the story. Which I feel we've either made threads about in the past, or else this thread is just too wide to really serve its purpose.

I'm gonna guess Conker's "So I had an arguement" list is facetious, but mostly because it doesn't seem very serious. I suppose this was just meant for context, though, so I'll leave it I suppose.

I agree (though some of these fanons are quite entertaining). I think narrowing down this topic to just Tom's fanarts would bring more discussion, instead of everyone listing their fanons (which isn't a bad topic at all, but I don't think it belongs in this board)

JMadoc
Master

#11 Post by JMadoc »

if "fanart" was canon, all the characters would't have dagger chins and are all able to use more than just swords and spears with less stiff movement.

If "fanon" was canon, the entire comic would skirt the NC-17 rating, events will have less contained consequences, supporting characters would have as much a story as main characters, Madelynn won't be Jar Jar Binks, and the rest of Eric's crew would be visible. And there would be a lot of mullets.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#12 Post by Schrodinger »

JMadoc wrote:if "fanart" was canon, all the characters would't have dagger chins and are all able to use more than just swords and spears with less stiff movement.

If "fanon" was canon, the entire comic would skirt the NC-17 rating, events will have less contained consequences, supporting characters would have as much a story as main characters, Madelynn won't be Jar Jar Binks, and the rest of Eric's crew would be visible. And there would be a lot of mullets.
And massive breasts.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by TinyVoices »

Envy661 wrote:I love expanded universe stuff
Oh, I love that stuff too. The things I tend to think of as fanart generally isn't that comparable to universe expansion, however. Those are... two different ball games. Fans can expand the universe, but often fanon is just too low brow for it to be all that appealing.

But, yes, I did not think of expanded universe when I stepped into this thread. Especially because you introduced the topic by listing the most infamous names in the history of the comic. :|
kellade wrote:I think narrowing down this topic to just Tom's fanarts would bring more discussion, instead of everyone listing their fanons
Brilliant idea. But what has he made which would serve a good purpose? I think the noncanon stuff Tom makes is just to blow off steam, which is acceptable. We can laugh at a Dom Laura, because that's a funny and unrealistic idea. If Tom made it canon, however, I feel it would be bad.

It reminds me of the April Fool's comic, then. Which is probably why I thought this kind of thing was talked about before. That a "what if wishful thinking was made real" was previously made up. I still prefer talking about Tom's stuff, though. Mostly because fanart is... scratchy. And, really, how are we going to avoid the NSFW stuff? So far there isn't a single fanon post in this thread that avoided that topic.

Oh, and for someone so deep into the anime culture, I'm surprised that you aren't so accepting of the term "fanon", Envy.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#14 Post by Envy661 »

TinyVoices wrote:
Oh, and for someone so deep into the anime culture, I'm surprised that you aren't so accepting of the term "fanon", Envy.
It's primarily because of the fact that I'm not a Doujinshi/Fanfic person. Expanded universe is one thing, but unless it's really popular, I don't tend to look into fanon.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by TinyVoices »

Envy661 wrote:Expanded universe is one thing, but unless it's really popular, I don't tend to look into fanon.
Fair enough. I can respect that.