Comic for Wednesday, July 2nd 2014

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cataloochee

Re: Comic for Wednesday, July 2nd 2014

#61 Post by Cataloochee »

[/quote]
Kitch wrote:They totally did it. :keith: :natani:

Also, what if :raine: tried to put her shackles on :zen: ?

would be funny as hell

obi-wan
Templar Master

#62 Post by obi-wan »

Kitch wrote: what if :raine: tried to put her shackles on :zen: ?
And if :zen: breaks the shackle?, remember that the shackle is too fragile and already broke once, :raine: could become trapped at her Keidran form forever. I don't think that be a good move, and less if :raine: risks something as valuable as the shackle and gets nothing in return
May the force be with you

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#63 Post by Him »

As obi wan said, putting Raine's shackles on Zen would break them. They were damage when they fell from a tree. If Zen just hit them against something he could be gone in no time. Seriously, those things must be made out of paper mache...

Also, why? Why would they do that? The shackles would do nothing. They are meant to suppress Raine's magical abilities. It wouldn't turn Zen into a human or anything. As big of a fan of shackles as I am, :wink: let's just stick with the rope bindings in this one.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#64 Post by SpottedKitty »

obi-wan wrote:And if :zen: breaks the shackle?, remember that the shackle is too fragile and already broke once, :raine: could become trapped at her Keidran form forever.
I'm thinking back to some of the recent forum speculation — could it be that this is Raine's "natural" form, and she just swerves back and forth between Keidran and Human extremes depending on how agitated or calm she is, or how much in control of her magic?

And considering that the shackle is a magic-suppressor enchantment, not a keep-Raine-human enchantment, I think it'll have precisely zero effect on Zen. Unless... is his soul-link with Natani dependent on magic? If so, the shackle might cut them off from each other if he's wearing it. And Group B doesn't know about that link...
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#65 Post by Him »

SpottedKitty wrote:I think it'll have precisely zero effect on Zen.

It will have zero affect. Since he has no mana crystals he couldn't even cast anything.
SpottedKitty wrote:Unless... is his soul-link with Natani dependent on magic? If so, the shackle might cut them off from each other if he's wearing it. And Group B doesn't know about that link...
It only suppresses Raine's magical abilities, they're still there. So even if they did put them on Zen, his passive magic would still be active. There would be no affect.

Chris
Templar

#66 Post by Chris »

SpottedKitty wrote:And considering that the shackle is a magic-suppressor enchantment, not a keep-Raine-human enchantment, I think it'll have precisely zero effect on Zen. Unless... is his soul-link with Natani dependent on magic? If so, the shackle might cut them off from each other if he's wearing it. And Group B doesn't know about that link...
I don't think the enchantment necessarily works on whoever is touching the shackle, but on Raine specifically. Back on this page we could still see the enchantment affecting Raine even when it was :redhair: handling it. Though, there is also this page where we do see an enchantment working on the person wearing the shackle... so I'd speculate that who it affects is a property of the enchantment. It'd make sense for a slave control spell to work on whoever is wearing the shackle -- since slaves have a habit of being sold off or dying, it'd be more efficient to be able to reuse the same shackle/enchantment with multiple slaves -- while with Raine, the enchantment was the same one that was put on her locket, which was intended only and specifically for her. The shackle was just a convenient object to hold the enchantment that she could keep around.

In either case, though, I doubt they'd put the shackle on Zen. Not only does Raine still need to fix it, if Zen ran off with it or broke it more than it currently is, it'd cause a big problem for her. Both Sythe and :redhair: know the importance of the shackle, so I don't see them risking it. Plus from what's been seen of the shackle, it doesn't seem to need a key to open (nor has a key ever been shown for it), so it wouldn't be very good at holding him.

Now that I think, though.. what happened to Mary? The last I remember seeing her was after the fight with Ephemural. Wouldn't she have stayed with Raine (or taken Raine with her)? And why not redo the enchantment on a more stable object that wouldn't dispel whenever it was unwittingly opened? I suppose a case could be made that being able to temporarily dispel the enchantment could have some use if she needed access to magic, but that seems like an odd risk since she seems to have a lot of trouble holding her human form without it working anyway (and can't cast magic in keidran form without mana crystals).

Kaz
Master

#67 Post by Kaz »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: I wonder if perhaps Natani and Zen serve as Horcruxes for each other.
What in all of Mekkan is a "Horcrux"?

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#68 Post by Him »

Kaz wrote:
AndreRhineDavis wrote: I wonder if perhaps Natani and Zen serve as Horcruxes for each other.
What in all of Mekkan is a "Horcrux"?
A Horcrux is an object that you put a part of your soul in to keep yourself alive. It's from the Harry Potter universe. It's a sad attempt at immortality.

Kyrit
Templar

#69 Post by Kyrit »

obi-wan wrote: And if :zen: breaks the shackle?, remember that the shackle is too fragile and already broke once, :raine: could become trapped at her Keidran form forever.
If the shackle broke Raine wouldn't be forever stuck as a Keidran. It does suppress the form for her, but she doesn't need the shackle to do so. Her mother's already told her that if she can learn to control her power/stay calm she'd be fine. The shackle breaking would honestly be a good way to force Raine to either learn to control her powers or to accept herself for what she is. Or both even.
Chris wrote:And why not redo the enchantment on a more stable object that wouldn't dispel whenever it was unwittingly opened?
The shackle probably was used for its durability. Granted, we've actually seen it break, but Mary might have thought it wouldn't break so easily. The reason Raine even learned of what she was was due to a 'more stable object'. The original item used was a locket, but such things break rather easily when accidentally stepped on. Meanwhile you wouldn't think that an iron shackle would crack so easily as hers did. That same page also explains that they were sold in to slavery for a short while, so Mary probably just enchanted whatever she could at the time that she didn't think would break. It's true she could've later found a better object, but it also mentions on that page that they were separated while on the run.

Maybe Mary could've given her a better object after they were reunited, but yeah. They didn't seem to stay together for very long since her mother apparently up and disappeared again or something since we've yet to see her again.

Chris
Templar

#70 Post by Chris »

Kyrit wrote:That same page also explains that they were sold in to slavery for a short while, so Mary probably just enchanted whatever she could at the time that she didn't think would break. It's true she could've later found a better object, but it also mentions on that page that they were separated while on the run.
At the time, yeah, it makes sense that she'd just enchant the closest, most viable object. Like was mentioned though, they reunited later on but she just quietly disappeared since then, hence my query about why she didn't stay with Raine or attempt to enchant something better.

There's actually a number of things that don't make sense to me about Raine and Mary's timeline since Trace took over, but that's probably for a different thread.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#71 Post by Warrl »

Kyrit wrote: The shackle probably was used for its durability. Granted, we've actually seen it break, but Mary might have thought it wouldn't break so easily. The reason Raine even learned of what she was was due to a 'more stable object'. The original item used was a locket, but such things break rather easily when accidentally stepped on. Meanwhile you wouldn't think that an iron shackle would crack so easily as hers did.
Also, it appears that the shackle only works when closed.

And the shackle itself looks intact - except for a broken latch that won't hold it closed.

I wonder if closing it and tying a cord around it would work.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#72 Post by Him »

As long as the ends meet, it should work. The ruins are the only important thing after the body of the shackle. Since the enchantment itself is damaged... and all of them are mediocre with magic... eh. Yeah, that's not getting fixed anytime soon.

Kyrit
Templar

#73 Post by Kyrit »

Warrl wrote:
Kyrit wrote: The shackle probably was used for its durability. Granted, we've actually seen it break, but Mary might have thought it wouldn't break so easily. The reason Raine even learned of what she was was due to a 'more stable object'. The original item used was a locket, but such things break rather easily when accidentally stepped on. Meanwhile you wouldn't think that an iron shackle would crack so easily as hers did.

And the shackle itself looks intact - except for a broken latch that won't hold it closed.

The latch isn't broken. There's a crack going over the enchantment, not over the latch. The latch itself is working just fine.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#74 Post by Warrl »

Kyrit wrote:
Warrl wrote:

The latch isn't broken. There's a crack going over the enchantment, not over the latch. The latch itself is working just fine.
Dang, I missed that page. The post-breakage picture of the shackle I found, looked intact. (On closer examination, I can see the crack - but I thought it was a grass stem.)

que
New Citizen

#75 Post by que »

obi-wan wrote:
Kitch wrote:what if :raine: tried to put her shackles on :zen: ?
I don't think that be a good move, and less if :raine: risks something as valuable as the shackle and gets nothing in return
Mind that she doesn't like the idea of killing him, and she found out she can somewhat control her form. Some training and excercise and she might get good at it. Also, the group she currently travels with already seen her and didn't react bad to it - I'd even say that all of them (including Red) reacted quite well. Oh, right, some were some unconscious. They could count as reacted-well too, since they apparently were not moved by that, literally ;)

Such thinking might actually make her try using the shackle. Effect could be very well: Zen would probably be terrified to look like human. He will notice the shackle, but until it breaks or gets opened, he doesn't necessarily have to notice that it's easy to open. The terror of "being a human now".. Sure, it the bracelet wouldn't hold him long, after a while he'd surely check how to get it off. But at the first moment, it might be well enough to trade for at least an antidote. That's a serious possibility.