What IS Mana?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

What IS Mana?

#1 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

So, I have many different theories as to what mana is. One, it could be a gas, as it can harden directly into a gem during sublimation(where a gas skips liquid and turns into a solid), and can be smelled, as referenced in the comic. Another being(and most likely) that mana is a form of energy, as it can be directed by channellers and used by mages, as is(kinda) in the real world. It also cannot be measured in any way, and can travel through time and space at faster-than-light speeds, sometimes even instantaneosly(forgive me if I butchered that word). Matter can't do that, but energy can, as matter's speed is limited by the speed of light, but we have yet to conclude whether or not there are energies that can move as fast as, or faster, than the speed of light. It is even unknown whether light can travel faster than the speed of light. But we know that matter cannot. A third, and final, theory is that mana is sound. This can be explained by cymatics, or the study of sound's effect on matter. If you google sand, water and viscous material cymatics, you will find some very interesting things. With sand, the sand itself moves to create ancient geometry not unlike heiroglyphs and other old languages. Where the sand is is where the sound is not, so you're seeing very little area unaffected by the sound. The higher you go in frequency, the more complex the geometric shapes. I could tell you the benefits of certain frequencies, but that stands for another time. Mana works similarly. There are positive and negative effects of mana, and it can easily manipulate matter, as seen pretty much whenever mana is used. So those are my theories. If someone could come along and debunk/reinforce any or all of these, I would much appreciate their input.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: What IS Mana?

#2 Post by Him »

Mana is drawn from the land itself. It's a form of energy. Mana from Twokinds is pretty much similar to MTG mana. Disregarding black mana, which I suppose is similar to Phyrexian mana. :roll: It's similar to the spirit bomb from Dragon Ball Z, where Goku draws energy from life. So it could be said to be similar to ki. Here ki is called latent energy or life force. Latent energy is the energy a system requires to undergo a phase transition. That might be why mana can be manifested into crystals. Because when concentrated, mana's state of matter can change.
Edit:
Mana, mana, MANA. I said mana way too much. :?

One
Traveler

#3 Post by One »

It's, like, the fictional fuel for performing magic. I doubt we can relate it to our modern understanding of the world. After all, it's magic.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#4 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

One wrote:It's, like, the fictional fuel for performing magic. I doubt we can relate it to our modern understanding of the world. After all, it's magic.
Ah, but magic is just science that we have yet to understand.
Certified Jojo fan

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#5 Post by Him »

One wrote:I doubt we can relate it to our modern understanding of the world. After all, it's magic.
"Magic's just science we don't understand yet" -C. Clarke. That hasn't stopped Tom from using IRL concepts. I.e. conservation of mass with Nora.

One
Traveler

#6 Post by One »

True. Let's discuss. I don't think mana is gas or sound, because that's not cool enough. It's probably sort of mysterious 'energy'. But what kind of energy can crystallize into matter?

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#7 Post by Him »

I am doing quite a bit of research about this right now. Rule #434 and all that jazz. I will try to be as quick as possible. But I'd rather take awhile and give a solid statement than a quick and weak one.

Chris
Templar

#8 Post by Chris »

Does the mana itself crystallize, or does it cause something else to crystallize around it? Since mana crystals can be used up and become inert, and then be recharged and used again, that suggests to me that the crystals can exists independently of mana. Their composition has a way to "trap" magical energy until something or someone draws it out, but the process of draining and recharging mana crystals weakens its structural integrity until it ultimately breaks apart and shatters. Kind of like batteries -- the electrical energy exists independently from the battery, but the battery is able to store and release an electrical charge... a process which weakens the battery until ultimately fails to hold a usable charge anymore.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#9 Post by Him »

Chris wrote:Does the mana itself crystallize, or does it cause something else to crystallize around it?
That question made me trash a hour worth of work and a sleepless night. :? Thanks for that, by the way. I would have kept looking for some sort of energy that could be made into a solid state of matter, be a conductor, and be able to be transferred from a living thing.

Mana is drawn from the land, correct? Living things give it off. What do all living things have in common? Carbon, carbon is in every natural occurrence of life. It also explains how drawing too much (Black mana) causes everything to die around you. Carbon could be easily accessed because of the carbon cycle. Mana could drawn from Co2 that is produced. Now I know what you're thinking, how does carbon provide energy? Caron decays and releases radiation. The weak force is responsible for radiation and nuclear fusion. I think that could make some pretty interesting things happen. Carbon is a conductor and can hold a charge, so it could work that way. Diamonds have a low conductivity, while graphite has a high one. Maybe mana crystals are formed somewhere in between. They are just forcibly decayed to expend massive amounts of energy before shattering.

Nah, even I don't have an idea I believe. Magic is really hard to explain most of the time. I'm tired, it's 4 AM, and I wasted time on an idea I don't believe. Tap out, somebody who has a degree in something like this, take over. I tried.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#10 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Him wrote:Diamonds have a low conductivity, while graphite has a high one.
Graphene is even more conductive, ranking in at being able to properly conduct a whopping 10,000 volts per second, on average.

Also, makes sense. Maybe Trace's hand is black because the carbon in his skin took a hardened form, which made it black. Maybe, maybe, someone who survived all the ill effects of black mana could have a body made out of pure diamond. That.. would be amazing. But then, they would most likely die, unless the diamond had some way of retaining life.
Certified Jojo fan

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#11 Post by Him »

No, Inception, disregard that post entirely. That was just a shot in the dark in the wrong direction. I just promised something, so I posted it. S:P

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#12 Post by Neutral Smith »

Just magic. Energy and matter at the same time. Don't try to understand.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#13 Post by Him »

So, incredibly dull and simple? :roll: No thanks, I prefer to think about things. Because going with the easy answer gets everybody nowhere fast. It is our duty as semi-devout watchers of this comic to ask questions. Really, we probably would have less information to work with about the world of Twokinds if we didn't ask questions.

But I digress... I will find something better to post than my carbon theory at some point. :D

One
Traveler

#14 Post by One »

Ordinary carbon doesn't decay, and a material's ability to conduct a current of electrons doesn't mean it can have energy stored in it. Magic is hard.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#15 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Certified Jojo fan