Comic Page for Friday, June 6th 2014

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Re: Comic Page for Friday, June 6th 2014

#91 Post by BadFoMo »

chickenhawk66 wrote:while I do agree that Raine is very pretty in that partial transformation scene, I have to sympathize with her predicament. While she may be cuter in the eyes of some of us, she is now in a state where she could be rejected and persecuted by both humans and Keidran. It's obvious that she always had little if any control over her magical abilities. But I just hope that she can do something before she faces someone other than her friends, or she could get killed. :raine:
Although I hadn't really thought of that, I was thinking that maybe she could hide Keidran features with a hooded robe and pass for a Human at least. She'd also need to either find gloves or keep her hands inside of her sleeves to keep those hidden and walk very carefully so her paws are not seen either.

Also, am I the only one that is somewhat reminded of this one page from El Goonish Shive where Sarah was testing out Ted's new transformation watch?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#92 Post by SpottedKitty »

Stormlight wrote:On a different note, It's nice to see Red finally learning. This is the first time he's made a conscious effort to be less racist and (kind of) succeeded.
I thought it was a simple matter of self-preservation; he doesn't want to be kicked hard enough for the front of his ribcage to meet up with the back of his ribcage (again), like Raine did when he started playing with her tail.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Stormlight
Merchant

#93 Post by Stormlight »

SpottedKitty wrote:
Stormlight wrote:On a different note, It's nice to see Red finally learning. This is the first time he's made a conscious effort to be less racist and (kind of) succeeded.
I thought it was a simple matter of self-preservation; he doesn't want to be kicked hard enough for the front of his ribcage to meet up with the back of his ribcage (again), like Raine did when he started playing with her tail.
Hmm, that too. Well, whatever works, I guess. :P
"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are true and our hearts are open." -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

chickenhawk66
Citizen

#94 Post by chickenhawk66 »

I'm not sure if Raine can pass herself off going either way. If she gets too discouraged, she might not even try. Red (or whatever the heck his name is) is not much help. He has shown himself to be almost compulsively able to open mouth and insert foot.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#95 Post by Warrl »

In Niven's book "The Magic Goes Away" he distinguishes between werewolves and wolweres. Raine's father Euchre would be a wolwere. In that version werewolves are humans who turn into wolves, while wolweres are wolves who turn into humans. And the difference matters when... well, see the title of the book.

As for Raine... what is our source of information about the spell on that collar? Her. What's her source of information and when did she get that information? She got it from a guardian-slash-jailer when she was young. The guardian may have been misinformed. The guardian may have simplified (even over-simplified) the explanation for a young child. She may have misunderstood the explanation. Her mother and guardians may have also deliberately chosen to not teach her accurate information about magic so that (among other possible reasons) she could not mess with the spell on the collar.

Also, until fairly recently halfbreeds were impossible. She could not have been a halfbreed; she had to be a were, with a fully-human form and a fully-keidran form. Neither would necessarily be the default, but a shape-stabilization spell would tend to lock her into her current form and might sap her magical energies to sustain that spell (while leaving open the possibility that when sufficiently desperate she could do other magic). Now halfbreeds are possible, and she is one, so she could have a halfbreed form which would be her logical default. In other words, the universe may have retconned her.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#96 Post by Him »

Warrl wrote:Also, until fairly recently halfbreeds were impossible.
Except she is not a halfbreed. Raine is a human who cannot control her perfect transformation ability. Magic appears to be genetic in Twokinds. She got the power of her mother, and her abilities from her father. Unfortunately, she cannot control the ability like her father. That's why she needs the magic suppressor. To keep her ability that she got from her father in check.

Raine's father's perfect transformation makes him human. That's why he was able to breed.

JC the Supreme Tiger
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#97 Post by JC the Supreme Tiger »

Warrl wrote:
As for Raine... what is our source of information about the spell on that collar? Her. What's her source of information and when did she get that information? She got it from a guardian-slash-jailer when she was young. The guardian may have been misinformed. The guardian may have simplified (even over-simplified) the explanation for a young child. She may have misunderstood the explanation. Her mother and guardians may have also deliberately chosen to not teach her accurate information about magic so that (among other possible reasons) she could not mess with the spell on the collar.

Also, until fairly recently halfbreeds were impossible. She could not have been a halfbreed; she had to be a were, with a fully-human form and a fully-keidran form. Neither would necessarily be the default, but a shape-stabilization spell would tend to lock her into her current form and might sap her magical energies to sustain that spell (while leaving open the possibility that when sufficiently desperate she could do other magic). Now halfbreeds are possible, and she is one, so she could have a halfbreed form which would be her logical default. In other words, the universe may have retconned her.
Him wrote:Except she is not a halfbreed. Raine is a human who cannot control her perfect transformation ability. Magic appears to be genetic in Twokinds. She got the power of her mother, and her abilities from her father. Unfortunately, she cannot control the ability like her father. That's why she needs the magic suppressor. To keep her ability that she got from her father in check.
I agree that Raine may not be fully aware of the abilities of the cuffs, since Mary enchanted them shortly after she regained her humanity.

What makes us (and everyone in-universe) so sure that she was ever fully human in the first place? The rules set in place by the Masks previously precluded that possibility, and such a pairing between Mary and Euchre could have resulted in an individual who had bistable forms: human and keidran, with the only way of Raine's existence being possible is to have inherited the magical abilities from the father. But now with Ephemeral allowing the pairings between human and keidran, there is now a possibility for monostability in the form of a half-breed.

My rationale is this:

1. Since there is the possibility of Raine not being fully informed about the cuffs (please inform me otherwise) what's to say that the cuffs in fact don't "turn her human," where in fact they do, in addition to suppressing her ability to change between forms.

2. Precluding #1, the only other time we've seen here change was when she was relatively calm, so she might have willed herself back with the help of the cuffs, where it is possible that the only allowable magic is the shifting to human.

3. In the case of #1 and #2, the cuffs only permissible form is that of a human. Upon being broken, Raine's magic had nowhere to go but into her transformation ability, and with the added stress of the assassin situation, caused her form to change much like that of a overdamped oscillator, overshooting the mid-form, and changing her fully into a keidran. Upon this magic running out, due to the keidran not being able to draw mana as efficiently from the environment as humans, she would revert to the most stable form, a half-breed, which up until this point was restricted by either Ephemeral or the cuffs.
Lurk moar; it's never enough.

Zantax
New Citizen

#98 Post by Zantax »

JC the Supreme Tiger wrote: My rationale is this:

1. Since there is the possibility of Raine not being fully informed about the cuffs (please inform me otherwise) what's to say that the cuffs in fact don't "turn her human," where in fact they do, in addition to suppressing her ability to change between forms.

2. Precluding #1, the only other time we've seen here change was when she was relatively calm, so she might have willed herself back with the help of the cuffs, where it is possible that the only allowable magic is the shifting to human.

3. In the case of #1 and #2, the cuffs only permissible form is that of a human. Upon being broken, Raine's magic had nowhere to go but into her transformation ability, and with the added stress of the assassin situation, caused her form to change much like that of a overdamped oscillator, overshooting the mid-form, and changing her fully into a keidran. Upon this magic running out, due to the keidran not being able to draw mana as efficiently from the environment as humans, she would revert to the most stable form, a half-breed, which up until this point was restricted by either Ephemeral or the cuffs.
I don't think this is the case because if the cuffs suppressed her ability to change then if she was in keidran form when she put them on wouldn't that stop her from turning human?

And if anyone's looking for a big reference to the cuff's powers heres a good reference http://twokinds.keenspot.com/groupb/?p=3
The Insane Gaming Redneck Muffin

JC the Supreme Tiger
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#99 Post by JC the Supreme Tiger »

Zantax wrote:
I don't think this is the case because if the cuffs suppressed her ability to change then if she was in keidran form when she put them on wouldn't that stop her from turning human?
Exactly. That's why I'm wondering if the cuffs might store some of her magic, and potentially use it to allow her change back (much like mana crystals), or to force her to change back.

On the other hand, we do not explicitly see Euchre using a mana crystal to change to human (although his hands are clenched, so he might be holding one), so the ability might not necessarily draw mana from crystals or the environment.
Lurk moar; it's never enough.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#100 Post by AmigaDragon »

JC the Supreme Tiger wrote:On the other hand, we do not explicitly see Euchre using a mana crystal to change to human (although his hands are clenched, so he might be holding one), so the ability might not necessarily draw mana from crystals or the environment.
IIRC (but I could be wrong) it was stated that it is an innate ability for Euchre, no mana crystals needed.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#101 Post by Him »

Hey, you have to give Red a bit of credit. He's been learning really quickly. They just need a newspaper to hit him with so he listens easier.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#102 Post by AmigaDragon »

Give that rolled up newspaper to Raine for his thoughtless stupid comments.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Stormlight
Merchant

#103 Post by Stormlight »

Oh, and a spray bottle too :P

I can't help but notice that the forest and sky backgrounds in the last two panels have been really nice. They look almost like stand alone oil paintings of nature scenes.
"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are true and our hearts are open." -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

chickenhawk66
Citizen

#104 Post by chickenhawk66 »

Wow, I guess I can't keep track of exactly how Raine keeps (or doesn't keep) control of her transformations. I have noticed that it is a bit odd seeing her half human\half keidran form. It will be interesting to see how it works out. If nothing else, Raine's looking better overall. I mentioned that she looked prettier in her last strip appearance. I think that it was partly due to the fact that had such a happy smile, one that I've never seen on her before. The most recent strip is also showing her looking quite fetching. It may not add to the story, but it's nice to see a one time minor character getting more artistic attention.