Woah... weird coincidence

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

Woah... weird coincidence

#1 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

I just suddenly realised that the word "natani" in old-fashioned Hebrew means "he gave to me". Refering to Zen's soul? Crazy coincidence.

(Compare the name "Nathaniel", which means "God has given", for those who are interested)

ajwilli1
Apprentice

Re: Woah... weird coincidence

#2 Post by ajwilli1 »

Wow that is actually really cool.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3 Post by Him »

Coincidence, I think not! Actually it most likely is. That is interesting though.

obi-wan
Templar Master

#4 Post by obi-wan »

AndreRhineDavis wrote:I just suddenly realised that the word "natani" in old-fashioned Hebrew means "he gave to me". Refering to Zen's soul? Crazy coincidence.

(Compare the name "Nathaniel", which means "God has given", for those who are interested)
He gave me in hebrew is הוא נתן לי (Hu Natan li) and as you said Nathaniel means God has given
May the force be with you

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#5 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

obi-wan wrote:
AndreRhineDavis wrote:I just suddenly realised that the word "natani" in old-fashioned Hebrew means "he gave to me". Refering to Zen's soul? Crazy coincidence.

He gave me in hebrew is הוא נתן לי (Hu Natan li) and as you said Nathaniel means God has given
Well firstly, you can get rid of the subject הוא [hu] (meaning "he"), like in Spanish. It doesn't need to be there explicitly.

And that leaves us with נתן [natan] (= he-gave) + לי [li] (= to-me).

Ehhhhhhhhhh.... ahhhh...... [censored]...... I just realised I made a mistake and now I'm really embarassed that I posted this whole thread and wasted all of your time and now look like an idiot >_<.

If it were "he gave me" as in he gave me TO someone, THEN it would be נתן [natan] (= he-gave) + אותי [oti] (= OBJECT-me). And in old fashioned Hebrew, the אותי can be reduced to a suffix on the verb:
נתן אותי [natan oti] --> נתני [natani] = he gave me (to someone)

But to actually say "he gave me" as in he gave me SOMETHING, it would be נתן לי [natan li].

oops. :oops:
well at least I hope I've piqued the interest of anyone who likes languages

obi-wan
Templar Master

#6 Post by obi-wan »

AndreRhineDavis wrote:
obi-wan wrote:

Well firstly, you can get rid of the subject הוא [hu] (meaning "he"), like in Spanish. It doesn't need to be there explicitly.

And that leaves us with נתן [natan] (= given) + לי [li] (= to-me).

Ehhhhhhhhhh.... ahhhh...... [censored]...... I just realised I made a mistake and now I'm really embarassed that I posted this whole thread and wasted all of your time and now look like an idiot >_<.

If it were "he gave me" as in he gave me TO someone, THEN it would be נתן [natan] (= he-gave) + אותי [oti] (= OBJECT-me). And in old fashioned Hebrew, the אותי can be reduced to a suffix on the verb:
נתן אותי [natan oti] --> נתני [natani] = he gave me (to someone)

But to actually say "he gave me" as in he gave me SOMETHING, it would be נתן לי [natan li].

oops. :oops:
well at least I hope I've piqued the interest of anyone who likes languages

We could ask Tom, perhaps, his original idea was to call her Natani for that reason, and that would indicate that Tom is fluent in several languages

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#7 Post by Him »

Aw well, it was a fun idea while it lasted.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Zylver »

I still think it is a very rad thing even if it is not perfect :D
I mean it is well-known that giving names to your characters either in stories or games is always a hardest part, but when you come across something like this: daaaaaaaaaaamn! :grin:

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#9 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Honestly, even if the interpretation of 'Natani' as 'He gave me (something)' isn't technically correct, I would still give credence to this theory. That is far, far too close a match to be a coincidence. I would personally just imagine that Tom wasn't aware of the fine distinction between the two uses of 'me' in hebrew - that seems like a very easy mistake to make when trying to use a language you don't know. Or it could have been a name Tom got ready-made from somewhere and the mistake was on the part of whoever he got it from.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#10 Post by Bellhead »

Him wrote:Coincidence, I think not! Actually it most likely is. That is interesting though.
If Natani means "he gave me", what would be the purpose of Zen's name? He doesn't seem very "zen" to me...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#11 Post by Neutral Smith »

Sometimes names are pure coincidence. My name means 'money' in Welsh :|

But I don't think Natani is coincidence. Just a free interpretation of something in a 'strange' language. Of course Tom could replace every Natani with Natanli, but that would be a lot of work.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

obi-wan
Templar Master

#12 Post by obi-wan »

Bellhead wrote:
Him wrote:Coincidence, I think not! Actually it most likely is. That is interesting though.
If Natani means "he gave me", what would be the purpose of Zen's name? He doesn't seem very "zen" to me...
The word Zen is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese word chan (禅), which turn derives from the Sanskrit word dhiana, meaning 'meditation'.

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#13 Post by Twippit »

Obi, your command of languages is surprisingly astute. Bravo, sir.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

obi-wan
Templar Master

#14 Post by obi-wan »

Twippit wrote:Obi, your command of languages is surprisingly astute. Bravo, sir.
besides the spanish (my first language), I studied hebrew(I'm jewish) and english (in the high school)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#15 Post by Bellhead »

obi-wan wrote:
Bellhead wrote:
The word Zen is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese word chan (禅), which turn derives from the Sanskrit word dhiana, meaning 'meditation'.
I thought that was the general meaning of the word, but what I don't get is why, and if, his name fits his personality, and why, if at all.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.