Re: Twokinds available in PDF format

#16 Post by Thebestofrobin »

trantor wrote:Really great piece of work Robin. Love it :D
Thank you :)

TraLi
Traveler

#17 Post by TraLi »

Oh, this would be pretty handly. Any specific reason you're compiling PDFs instead of a comic reader archive like CBZ or something? I'd worry the PDF conversion is recompressing JPEGs...

And I'm sorry to be a potential bring-down, but has anyone asked Tom if he's ok with this?

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#18 Post by avwolf »

TraLi wrote:And I'm sorry to be a potential bring-down, but has anyone asked Tom if he's ok with this?
It's covered under Tom's Creative Commons License. This (or compiling it into a CBZ for that matter) is completely acceptable.

TraLi
Traveler

#19 Post by TraLi »

avwolf wrote:It's covered under Tom's Creative Commons License. This (or compiling it into a CBZ for that matter) is completely acceptable.
Excellent. :)

Edit:
Reading that licensing page makes me happy! Heck, that it exists at all is super awesome. Time to donate again; who's with me?? :D

Thebestofrobin
Citizen

#20 Post by Thebestofrobin »

@TraLi
I've never heard of CBZ.
I'll look into it if they can be easely created.
The reason I choise PDF is because I can generate them with PHP.
And you can set a mode so every scroll is a new page.
There is indeed compression with JPEG in PDF's.
That was a problem I encountered.
The way I fixed it was to generate PNGs from the JPEGs and add the PNGs to the PDF.
So the images in the PDF are PNG and not JPEG.
That way the image remains sharp compared to the JPEGs.

I'm also thinking of making a ZIP archive.
Because I can also generate them in PHP.

As avwolf already mentioned it should be covered by the license.
I've tried to contact Tom but failed.
After that I contacted avwolf and sad the same thing as posted so I went and made this post.
I've had the code and PDF ready at the end of last year, but with no answere from Tom I didn't made them available for everyone.

TraLi
Traveler

#21 Post by TraLi »

CBZ files are just ZIP files with sequentially named images (usually PNG or JPG). The Wikipedia Comic Book Archive page has a list of comic readers along with a little more info.

If you wanted to start up a torrent for each chapter, I have 10Mbps of upload I can share.

Thebestofrobin
Citizen

#22 Post by Thebestofrobin »

TraLi wrote:CBZ files are just ZIP files with sequentially named images (usually PNG or JPG). The Wikipedia Comic Book Archive page has a list of comic readers along with a little more info.

If you wanted to start up a torrent for each chapter, I have 10Mbps of upload I can share.
There should be no need for a torrent.
I can have 512GB of trafic per month on the current hosting I'm useing.
And so far only 12GB of that is being used.
So hosting it shouldn't be a problem but thanks for the offer any ways :)

Also thanks for the info on CBZ.
Looks like I should be able to generate 1 ZIP file and offer it as both .zip and .cbz (with 2 links).
I might be able to try it out today, otherwise I should be able to add that in the upcoming weekend.

Thebestofrobin
Citizen

#23 Post by Thebestofrobin »

There has been another update

* added: ZIP archive of every page from the webcomic
* added: CBZ archive of every page from the webcomic

Let me know if you guys / girls want more ZIPs / CBZs and what they should contain.
If you guys / girls want every PDF to be available in ZIP / CBZ it can be made, just let me know.
I'm new to CBZ so let me know if there is any problem with them.

TraLi
Traveler

#24 Post by TraLi »

Ok, finally got off my [censored] found time in my extremely busy and not at all made up schedule and tried the CBZ. Only looked through the first couple chapters, but it works great. :) Thanks for compiling that! Though a combination of my own ignorance and Mobile Safari downloading the entire file before presenting the option to open it in whatever app confused me for a while...
Thebestofrobin wrote:If you guys / girls want every PDF to be available in ZIP / CBZ it can be made, just let me know.
I would totally like chapter CBZs.

By the by, if anyone is looking for a iPad comic reader, give "Chunky" a try. I've used it for only a day, but it seems quite nice.

Thebestofrobin
Citizen

#25 Post by Thebestofrobin »

TraLi wrote:Ok, finally got off my [censored] found time in my extremely busy and not at all made up schedule and tried the CBZ. Only looked through the first couple chapters, but it works great. :) Thanks for compiling that! Though a combination of my own ignorance and Mobile Safari downloading the entire file before presenting the option to open it in whatever app confused me for a while...
Thebestofrobin wrote:If you guys / girls want every PDF to be available in ZIP / CBZ it can be made, just let me know.
I would totally like chapter CBZs.

By the by, if anyone is looking for a iOS comic reader, give "Chunky" a try. I've used it for only a day, but it seems quite nice.
Good to hear that the CBZ is working :D .

I've been thinking about the PDF's I can generate at this moment in combination with CBZ / ZIP.
I think I can use the same logic to generate CBZ / ZIP chapters of all the current PDF's.
I'll look into it and will try it in the morning ( 0:08 AM over here at time of writing).

Thebestofrobin
Citizen

#26 Post by Thebestofrobin »

There has been another update.

* added: every PDF available is also available in CBZ and ZIP format
* added: separate column for the CBZ/ZIP file size
* changed: In stead of clicking on the name of the PDF there are now 3 separate download links for the 3 available formats
* changed: The website is now 1100 pixels wide to accomedate the new column mentioned above
* changed: The name of this topic to include the new formats.

Let me know what you think of the new layout of the website.
Also let me know if there are any problems with the CBZ / ZIP formats or any problems at all.

TraLi
Traveler

Re: Twokinds available in CBZ, PDF and ZIP format

#27 Post by TraLi »

New layout looks great!

Couple of issues though: none of the chapter 3 links provide a file extension. The downloads seem to be the correct size, but iOS doesn't know how to open them. Second, the first page is missing from the Chapter 6 (part 1) file, and the first two pages of chapter six are include at the end of the chapter 5 file. Chapter 6 (part 1) doesn't have a cover page, so it's not obvious where it begins.

Thebestofrobin
Citizen

#28 Post by Thebestofrobin »

TraLi wrote:New layout looks great!

Couple of issues though: none of the chapter 3 links provide a file extension. The downloads seem to be the correct size, but iOS doesn't know how to open them. Second, the first page is missing from the Chapter 6 (part 1) file, and the first two pages of chapter six are include at the end of the chapter 5 file. Chapter 6 (part 1) doesn't have a cover page, so it's not obvious where it begins.
Thank you for likeing the new layout :)

I've fixed the pages of chapter 5 and 6 part 1 and should now be available for download.

About the links of chapter 3, I don't really know what's wrong.
Unfortunately I do not own a tablet or smartphone myself so I can't test it out.

I think it might be the , in the file name.
Could you click on the following links and tell me if they both work?
They link to the PDF of the prologue and are the smallest downloads available.

http://www.robinvandevoorde.nl/twokinds ... 2Cogue.pdf (with comma)
http://www.robinvandevoorde.nl/twokinds ... ologue.pdf (without comma)

Ardal
New Citizen
Location: Somewhere in Texas, which doesn't narrow it down much.

#29 Post by Ardal »

The one with the comma is a duplicate, and isn't accepted. The one without works fine.
Keep up the good work!

Thebestofrobin
Citizen

#30 Post by Thebestofrobin »

Ardal wrote:The one with the comma is a duplicate, and isn't accepted. The one without works fine.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for chekking :).
I've removed the comma from the name of chapter 3.

Could someone please check if the download for chapter 3 is working on mobile?
Then I can add that fix to the update list :)