Red's magic

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Red's magic

#1 Post by The Rookie »

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but after going over the comic again I noticed that Red (Database Error) had shown off some of his magical ability earlier in the series.
Namely page/comic 68 where he uses it to blow a big hole in a wall.

With the current story focused on group B, I was wondering if we might see a short story arch based on Red's history with the Templar and what abilities he may have learnt, however limited they be, during that time.

I was also wondering, could Red use any of his abilities to help change Group B's situation ? And if so, how do you think this could affect group B later in the story ?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Zylver
Grand Templar

Re: Red's magic

#2 Post by Zylver »

Well, I dunno if this topic should have been discussed in the latest comic's topic, but since you started it, so be it... the moderators will decide :P

Lately, Red haven't shown anything about his magical potential, however I strongly believe that during his training he might have encountered some magical education. But as he said it earlier this page, he is "not smart enough", which would explain why does he like to swing his sword at the enemy, rather than using magic for his tactical advantage.
So in conclusion, Red might know some basic magic, like explosion or heal, but he is more like a muscle-head, than a spellsword. :roll:

As for the Red's background arc: not a bad idea, but please, let us have some plot improvement, otherwise our little heroes will never get off from that god-damned ship :evil:

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#3 Post by DariusL »

Zylver wrote:Well, I dunno if this topic should have been discussed in the latest comic's topic, but since you started it, so be it... the moderators will decide :P

Lately, Red haven't shown anything about his magical potential, however I strongly believe that during his training he might have encountered some magical education. But as he said it earlier this page, he is "not smart enough", which would explain why does he like to swing his sword at the enemy, rather than using magic for his tactical advantage.
So in conclusion, Red might know some basic magic, like explosion or heal, but he is more like a muscle-head, than a spellsword. :roll:

As for the Red's background arc: not a bad idea, but please, let us have some plot improvement, otherwise our little heroes will never get off from that god-damned ship :evil:
Red blew up a wall with his magic in page 68, but hasn't shown any magical abilities since.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#4 Post by AmigaDragon »

ticoun wrote:Red blew up a wall with his magic in page 68, but hasn't shown any magical abilities since.
Maybe he's still recharging. :mrgreen:
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

mycatiscrazy
Merchant

#5 Post by mycatiscrazy »

AmigaDragon wrote:
ticoun wrote:Red blew up a wall with his magic in page 68, but hasn't shown any magical abilities since.
XD
"When in doubt, C4" - Jamie Hyneman

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#6 Post by jacobc62 »

mycatiscrazy wrote:
AmigaDragon wrote:
XD
Well low intelligence does result in longer recharge times.... :mrgreen:
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Hoppy
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Hoppy »

I think the only spell he knows is "Explode Wall". Not very usefull in most situations as a Templar. :mrgrin:
Image Image

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional." --(I dunno who said it but I'm doing a fine job of proving it's true.)

wolfgirl207
Master

#8 Post by wolfgirl207 »

Red's magical development is quite low, this being the reason why he dropped out of the Templar Academy after only a few years. So the spells he may know would perhaps be very basic ones.

You guys have no idea how much I want to make a mini-comic about Red and Trace's time at the Templar Academy. Seriously, gosh darn. I am just so lazy though.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#9 Post by The Rookie »

Zylver wrote:Well, I dunno if this topic should have been discussed in the latest comic's topic, but since you started it, so be it... the moderators will decide
Sorry, I'm still new to this whole thing... :(
Zylver wrote:But as he said it earlier this page, he is "not smart enough", which would explain why does he like to swing his sword at the enemy, rather than using magic for his tactical advantage.
So in conclusion, Red might know some basic magic, like explosion or heal, but he is more like a muscle-head, than a spellsword.
That's actually a pretty good point, he does seem to take a 'swing first, ask questions later' approach with just about everything so far. :roll:
The rookie wrote:As for the Red's background arc: not a bad idea, but please, let us have some plot improvement, otherwise our little heroes will never get off from that god-damned ship
:shock: I didn't even think about that. I only started reading Twokinds in mid October of this year, but it's strange to think that Group A have been sailing for about two and a half years real time at this point. :shock:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Drake Arron
Traveler

#10 Post by Drake Arron »

Wait, the comic has had group A on that boat for two and a half years?!?! I didn't realize it was THAT long. Yeah, Tom, get them off of that boat. NAW tom! I don't care if they're teleported off of it, we need more colors behind the backs of group A than just brown… :P

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by avwolf »

Hoppy wrote:I think the only spell he knows is "Explode Wall". Not very usefull in most situations as a Templar. :mrgrin:
wolfgirl207 wrote:Red's magical development is quite low, this being the reason why he dropped out of the Templar Academy after only a few years. So the spells he may know would perhaps be very basic ones.
Agreed: he probably has some capacity to throw some force around, but nothing very delicate, nothing very precise, and nothing very intricate or advanced. Red's education wouldn't have gone beyond some of the basics, and given his temperament and generally expressed intelligence, he probably doesn't know how to do anything that isn't useful outside of "meaningless battle." That means he might know something that could be useful against Zen, in the right situation, but probably not especially useful for survival or dealing with Raine's condition.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#12 Post by AmigaDragon »

I have to wonder on this speculation train, why would you teach the destructive spells to a beginner (no matter how long he's studying compared to proficient students)?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

wolfgirl207
Master

#13 Post by wolfgirl207 »

AmigaDragon wrote:I have to wonder on this speculation train, why would you teach the destructive spells to a beginner (no matter how long he's studying compared to proficient students)?
Hm. Good point. Perhaps he didn't learn it in class?

He could have learnt it from the higher up students and or Trace, since he would have definitely been way ahead of Red in terms of magical development.
That or maybe scrolls/books from the libraries within the academy or even outside. (from family and friends and such)

I wonder if him knowing a strong-ish spell would have gotten him in trouble or something. Him being somewhat experienced and all...Uncontrollable explosions everywhere... :shock:

Zylver
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Zylver »

wolfgirl207 wrote:
AmigaDragon wrote:I have to wonder on this speculation train, why would you teach the destructive spells to a beginner (no matter how long he's studying compared to proficient students)?
Hm. Good point. Perhaps he didn't learn it in class?

He could have learnt it from the higher up students and or Trace, since he would have definitely been way ahead of Red in terms of magical development.
That or maybe scrolls/books from the libraries within the academy or even outside. (from family and friends and such)

I wonder if him knowing a strong-ish spell would have gotten him in trouble or something. Him being somewhat experienced and all...Uncontrollable explosions everywhere... :shock:
Came up with the same idea as well :) Red might have been obsessed with massive damage dealing spells and neglected the rest, probably because they weren't so... effective in combat :P Trace could have shown Red how it's done, but being a library... that is highly unimaginable :D

PS: I should check the Characters page more often :? I had no idea Red was expelled from the Academy, yet he still got recalled when they defeated Neutral... strange :roll:

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

wolfgirl207
Master

#15 Post by wolfgirl207 »

Zylver wrote:Trace could have shown Red how it's done, but being a library... that is highly unimaginable :D
Heh, true! Though if he wanted to know the spell that badly I'm sure he would have tried anything; even if that means using the library for probably the first time ever. :P