Other web comics?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. Funk

Other web comics?

#1 Post by Mr. Funk »

So I have been completely engulfed with this comic, but I find that I just need more. What other web comics are there around that are like twokinds? Preferably it would have furry characters, a great love story, with some sexual moments in it, and some sort of large adventure... (So pretty much twokinds, but different, sorry about the lack of specification) thanks :flora: :trace:
Our arrows will block out the sun!

... Then we shall yiff in the shade

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Re: Other web comics?

#2 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Well, it doesn't quite fit all of the criteria you listed, but for sheer quality you can't possibly go wrong with Freefall. You won't find anything sexual there, and only a bit of romance, but it's got an anthro wolf as the (arguably) main character, and some of the best and most believable characterization and storytelling I've ever seen in any fiction.

Mr. Funk

#3 Post by Mr. Funk »

Thanks, ill definately check that out. I really appreciate it. I would be really greatful if anyone ealse could make some suggestions. Not to be greedy, but I would like a lot of these to read cause I just read through the entire comic in like, a day. But again, thank you for the suggestion.

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#4 Post by judah4 »

This Thread has plenty of webcomics suggestions to keep you occupied. I linked to the latest page and you can just search back from there.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by RedDwarfIV »

I was gonna suggest Freefall but I've been ninja'd by Muon.

One that fits fantasy, has very good art [noticable improvements have been made since it started, don't let the beginning's bobble-head characters fool you], and has a good story is Gunnerkrigg Court.

Another well-written and pretty funny sci-fi comic is Spacetrawler. That one has full-length pages, so its not as much of an Archive Panic inducer as Freefall is.

El Goonish Shive is pretty good, though it starts off with bad art and not much plot. Its set in the modern-day with magic, but considering the masquerade is held up by the authorities and not some wizards' shadow government, it's not as surreal as Harry Potter or Skulduggery Pleasant. Its kept secret [as explained in recent comics] just because any moron off the street with magic capacity could wreak wanton havoc, so its safer not to let anyone know. It has some furry characters, but only Grace is a main-character, the others are just recurring.

A thrice-weekly updater is the undoubtedly furry webcomic Housepets, which features the antics of anthropomorphic pets in a neighbourhood called Babylon Gardens. Its overarching plot is that some 'gods' are playing a cosmic version of Dungeons And Dragons with their dimension.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

Mr. Funk

#6 Post by Mr. Funk »

Thank all you guys for your great suggestions!!! Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. You're the best!! :karen:

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#7 Post by jacobc62 »

Try all the Katbox comics.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Rafe
Council Member

#8 Post by Rafe »

I like all kinds of webcomics, but there are a very few that really stand out for some reason, they may not all be to everyone's taste, but they all have some seriously good qualities. Here's my list:

Gene Catlow http://genecatlow.keenspot.com/
Albert Temple's work here is a good, old-fashioned adventure comic. Modern-day furries and humans with sci-fi and supernatural elements. Something on the more literary side from an author who knows how to tell a story.

DMFA http://www.missmab.com/
Amber Williams has created a very detailed fantasy world filled with all kinds of creatures and beings every bit as involving as something like Harry Potter, but her real talent is in the way she combines cuteness with violence - a very rare thing when it is done well. The main comic is PG furry humor, but there are some darker and very emotional side stories if you care to go there. All of them are written by someone who is excellent with situational comedy and farce, and knows how to write characters you will fall in love with. As far as I'm concerned, Amber Williams is one of the best writers in comics today, period.

Jack http://www.pholph.com
Probably my favorite. If you like the intensely emotional parts of TwoKinds, you'll probably like David Hopkins' comic of life, death, and the afterlife. More cinematic than literary. Hopkins is like a film director that takes his cute, very expressive furry characters (and you) to some very dark places in your soul. Don't think that it's some all-dark and angsty comic, though. It's also filled with love, courage and humor. The best part of Jack is probably the characters and the way they develop and reveal themselves. Also like TwoKinds, the characters are the kind you will no doubt identify with and love. Seriously, they will make you cry.

The story wanders around a lot and varies in quality, and the artwork is also changed occasionally from story to story. Nice guy that he is, Hopkins gets a lot of friends to do guest art and comic segments. And there is some less-than-fantastic material to wade through, but there is so much excellent content that it's worth it. In the way of warning, Jack does have a certain amount of profanity, graphic violence and sex, but that's not what it's about. One suggestion, if you decide to check it out, read at least the first four story arcs, up through "Trixi and Tet".

graufuchs
Citizen

#9 Post by graufuchs »

Be sure to check out Crimson Flag by Virmir. It's a very well written and illustrated medieval fantasy adventure with foxes. Despite the top-notch quality, the author doesn't make much effort to publicize it and it isn't nearly as well known as it ought to be.

For serious epic-scale worldbuilding, be sure to investigate the work of Roz Gibson. I have a new review up at Flayrah for her latest (and longest) work;The City of Ice.

Mr. Funk

#10 Post by Mr. Funk »

Thanks, guys. Although, upon further realization, I have noticed that what I really want in a comic is a really good romance. One similar to the one on twokinds, which I consider to be one of the best love stories I have seen in a while. And, sexual themes always help to spice things up. I have been looking at all of your great suggestions, but I can't tell if there is romance in a comic just by looking at the front page. Could anyone help me out by telling me if these suggestions before have good romances in them, or you could suggest something ealse. But, I feel I should add, I would prefer something with action and adventure. I don't want to read just a romance comic. I know you guys took your time with these suggestions and I am so thankful for it, but i would appreciate this other bit of help. Thanks, you guys are the best! So, just to recap, good romance, similar to twokinds, some sexual themes/scenes, action/adventure, oh, and furry. But it could be a mix furry like twokinds is.

--Edit--
Just sayin, thanks to all of you who did post suggestions, I appreciate all of it. Although, I would like the help I previously asked for, but again, I don't mean to seem greedy, I'm just a guy who wants to read some comics :3

Please don't double-post, Mr. Funk, it is against forum policy. If you think of something you'd like to add to your last post, and nobody else has posted in the thread since your last post, please use the "Edit" button to add your comments. Thank you.
--avwolf

--Edit... I, ... Guess--
I'm not sure wether to be honored that you payed attention to a newbie like me, or ashamed that I have wronged the community :?

Banana_Doctor
New Citizen

#11 Post by Banana_Doctor »

I've been looking for something similar to TwoKinds for years, I checked out all the recommendations but none of them held my interest like TwoKinds. The only thing that has given me the same sort of feels that I got from TwoKinds is BioShock Infinite. Since BI is such a popular game, I'm not sure if you've played it or not, if not it might be something you could look into. I know you specified a comic, but if you consider other forms of media you'll be more likely to find something you're after.

Like yourself when I was searching for a comic like TK I was searching for a comic with romance in it, specifically a romance between a human male and a furry female. What BI made me realize is that I didn't enjoy TK because of the romance and furry aspect, I enjoyed it because of other reasons such as: eye candy (Flora and Elizabeth), strong relationship between the two main characters (doesn't have to be a romantic relationship), the main characters falling out and making up, rescuing your companion, magic (vigors),
Spoiler!
tragic/bittersweet ending (implied in the case of TK (it's implied that Flora only has a few more years to live)).
Those are the main reasons I believe that made me enjoy TK and BI so much, some other similarities between TK and BI include:
Spoiler!
evil side to both protagonists (evil Trace and evil Booker),
racism, good art style (IMO) and adventure (trying to get to Lyn'Knoll in TK and Paris in BI)

Also, word of advise. If you're still experiencing strong feels about TK, I wouldn't recommend searching for something similar so soon. You may end up weakening your feelings for TwoKinds or getting attached to something that has less content or where content is released less frequently. After I read TwoKinds for the first time I wanted something that would give me the same experience ASAP. Looking back now I'm glad I didn't find anything like TwoKinds for quite a while.

Mr. Funk

#12 Post by Mr. Funk »

I have myself played bio shock infinite and thought it was a fantastic game. And, I agree, while looking through many lists of webcomics I haven't found one that I loved quite as much as twokinds, although, i am still placing my trust in the community that hopefully someone could help me find another great comic.

Warforge
Merchant
Location: in WW2 shootin nazis and don't stalk me or you di by my flak88

#13 Post by Warforge »

I live to fight trough the shadow valley of death and march on . May all you live free and prosperous. U.S.A.! U.S.A! FLORA X TRACE FAN. LAURA FAN

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#14 Post by Schrodinger »

judah4 wrote:This Thread has plenty of webcomics suggestions to keep you occupied. I linked to the latest page and you can just search back from there.
Rather redundant don't you think.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Rafe
Council Member

#15 Post by Rafe »

Mr. Funk wrote:Thanks, guys. Although, upon further realization, I have noticed that what I really want in a comic is a really good romance. One similar to the one on twokinds, which I consider to be one of the best love stories I have seen in a while. And, sexual themes always help to spice things up. I have been looking at all of your great suggestions, but I can't tell if there is romance in a comic just by looking at the front page. Could anyone help me out by telling me if these suggestions before have good romances in them, or you could suggest something ealse. But, I feel I should add, I would prefer something with action and adventure. I don't want to read just a romance comic. I know you guys took your time with these suggestions and I am so thankful for it, but i would appreciate this other bit of help. Thanks, you guys are the best! So, just to recap, good romance, similar to twokinds, some sexual themes/scenes, action/adventure, oh, and furry. But it could be a mix furry like twokinds is.
This gives me a chance to actually discuss TwoKinds in a compare/contrast way, rather than just list "other comics", and make this a TwoKinds thread.

Take the whole Keith/Natani relationship with its love-hate, trust-suspicion and "just how close are they" aspects. I mentioned Jack, but since it takes a while to get to these parts, I'll do some skipping ahead for you. A few details. Jack, when we meet him, has been dead for centuries. A genocidal dictator in life, he is now the Sin of Wrath and Grim Reaper. Stripped of his memories so he can function, he's actually a rather sympathetic character. He occasionally has to deal with angels. One angel, named Central, seems particularly insulting and cruel when dealing with him. At first, it looks like she's just a [censored] foil to sympathetic Jack, but it becomes apparent that she knows a lot about him - more than he knows himself, and finally, we find out that they were connected in life. It turns out that, given what she knows and what she suffered in life, Central has actually been very kind, even protective of Jack. Far from being some [censored] martinet, she's probably the most loving and forgiving character there.

Back to Natani and the current situation. Natani knows she has to break the heart's-desire spell to save Keith. She's doing it because she cares for him, and knows that she has to do it, even if it destroys the most meaningful relationship she'll probably ever have in her life. But it's the right thing to do - the only thing to do. And as much pain as it could cause her, Natani will do it.

Central finds herself in the same situation several times - knowing what's right (hard not to when you're in communication with God) - but knowing that the person you're helping is going to feel hurt, and is going to hate you for it. Call it "tough love", I guess. Characters like Natani and Central have the strength to do these things, and they also end up with the pain of being misunderstood by those they care for the most.

Let's have an example from Jack. No need for all the details. Let's just say that Jack has done something very wrong from Central's viewpoint, but not his. Remember the Keith vs. Natani knife fight? This is analogous to that (although being Jack, the intensity level is an order of magnitude higher, and instead of one knife we have a scythe and two angelic sickles). But like the incident at the tavern, both of them misunderstand what is happening at first when they go at it.

It goes on like this for a while with both of them wounding each other horribly, but just as Central is getting ready to take Jack's head off with a sickle, they're interrupted, and things are resolved. They both see their mistakes, and Central, blood still dripping from her own wounds, instantly forgets herself and becomes concerned with Jack's injuries:

Like I said in the last post, Hopkins is pretty intense and cinematic. Not the kind of thing for everyone, but you have to read more than the first few pages to know for sure. And there are a lot of romantic situations of just about every kind in Jack, and sex can happen anywhere - it just doesn't usually turn out well in hell.

EDIT - One more similarity to add: Central is also an assassin, although a reluctant one. On very rare occasions, some mortal "needs" to be dead, and she gets the job.
She does have one big advantage over Natani and Zen - she can kill a mortal by just touching them.

You can read some reviews of Jack on "The Web Comic List" here: http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/p/186/jack