Comic for March 17th 2013

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Comic for March 17th 2013

#106 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Ixion wrote:
AmigaDragon wrote:I still don't get what makes anyone think "Southern", other than maybe a lack of snow.
It's ascended fanon that probably comes from the fact that Rose is a tomboyish modestly-chested Keidran with white fur and red hair. She's also part of Euchre's humble background, resembling a playful southern cousin/foil that contrasts with his "big city"/aspiring mage mentality. Everyone just started referring to her southern accent, and next thing you know the comic is confirming it.
It's not the comic confirming it, it has an author who reads these forums.

Hi Tom.

Ixion
New Citizen

#107 Post by Ixion »

Kit. wrote:Keirdan are his enemies.
No, they aren't. In fact, his best friend/heterosexual life partner is a Keidran. As far as enemies go, he only ever brutally murdered that one Basitin. Did...that ever even get explained? Because that was awfully out of character.
Kit. wrote:The point is that you cannot call Sirus "that much of a [censored]" just for hanging a Wolf Keirdan spy - and probably uncovering another Wolf Keirdan spy.
You're right. He's actually more of a trollish dick who uses trickery and illusion to manipulate people. Then again, I suppose I can't blame the guy for wanting to know whether or not one of his classmates is sleeping with a magic keidran. So he can congratulate the keidran, of course.
"Censors are dead men set up to judge between life and death. For no live, sunny man would be a censor, he'd just laugh. But censors, being dead men, have a stern eye on life." — D. H. Lawrence, "Censors"

Rafe
Council Member

#108 Post by Rafe »

Well Tom, you finally did it. After probably six years of reading the comic and lurking on the forum you got me to surface to say something. Not just once, but twice, with Keith and now with Rose you've got me so emotionally involved I started tearing up. This is very rare with me. There are only two other web-comic creators that have done this to me - Amber Williams of DMFA (Although it was her much darker Abel's Story that did it), and David Hopkins with Jack (multiple places with Dave - dealing with death and the afterlife you get more chances at heavy emotion, I suppose.)

All three of you have the ability to take cute, loveable, even comedic characters and put them in some very, very dark places. Doing this properly, as you do, makes these characters very real and believable - and of course that pulls you into them all the deeper.

Anyway, I'm very impressed and had to say so. I have my speculations, and am following everybody on the thread here, but I'm going to sit and watch as far as the action goes for now.

Thanks.

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#109 Post by Tuna »

Now would be the perfect time to cut back to Maddie eating breakfast XD

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#110 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Tuna wrote:Now would be the perfect time to cut back to Maddie eating breakfast XD
NOO! What have you done?!

johny
Templar GrandMaster

#111 Post by johny »

Tuna wrote:Now would be the perfect time to cut back to Maddie eating breakfast XD
No No No don't give him ideas. If he does I got the torches and pitchforks! Were gona be having tuna for dinner... Lol jk but a tuna sandwich sounds good right now...

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#112 Post by BadJoke »

Never hope something good from a sinful, repellent traitor.

Rose made that mistake and...she won't make it twice. Or anything else.

Make the Masks take pity of this poor soul and the afterlife
be nice for her -amen-

(Face it, she won't make it. Tom is such a talented sadistic.)
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

thisisntchris87
Citizen

#113 Post by thisisntchris87 »

I lol'd.

Rafe
Council Member

#114 Post by Rafe »

I still can't get over how this current page is just layered with emotional pain. Rose, at first desperate to find Euchre, and then horribly abandoned by the only person she recognizes, the only hope she had, who leaves her to die confused and friendless. Euchre himself going through who knows what now, and for the rest of his life. And probably the most disturbing thing of all to me, the casual, half-joking way Sirus arranges her death. One might understand being vengeful, even sadistic in doing this, but Sirus has her hauled to her horrible death with about as much emotion as if he's ordering coffee.

And a horrible death it would be. By a hundred years ago or so, executioners could perform a hanging so that the condemned would drop many feet, breaking their necks, all but decapitating them, and becoming instantly unconscious at least. Rose won't get that. With the medieval gallows she's on, she'll be hauled up or given some minimal drop and left to slowly strangle to death. As lightly built as she is, she could end up taking a long time to do that. She'll be fully conscious and in agonizing pain for at least four minutes, if she's lucky, before losing consciousness. If she isn't lucky it could be twice that.

So you get a totally innocent Rose being basically tortured to death, by an executioner who apparently decided to do it on a spur-of-the-moment whim, and then totally alone - abandoned by her only friend.
This is about as bad as it could possibly get.

Kichan
Citizen

#115 Post by Kichan »

anonfox123 wrote:
Kichan wrote:
Ace5762 wrote:And Rose had the nerve to call Euchre stupid.
Although, I get the feeling that if Master Spy really had gone through with the execution, the two of them cooperating the night they helped Trace defeat ephemeral seems a little far-fetched. Unless they've just been too wary of one another the whole time to attempt a non-peaceful resolution.
Or he's actually just that cold-hearted.
I suppose we shall see.
Well, as cold as he seems in this page, I feel that it's pretty clear he's rather conflicted on this. (If he really was such a [censored] as you make him out to be, he would have unflinchingly told the hangman to go right ahead.)
He doesn't seem conflicted to me at all. He seems resigned and sad about it...just, not sad enough to lift a finger to try to stop it from happening.
He didn't even TRY to save her. He walked away. That's not different than him giving Sirus the go-ahead at all.
Given, there could be a twist later on that saves her etc etc, which I do hope for, but IF what we are seeing is what it seems, then then he's a self-serving coward, no way around it, imho.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#116 Post by anonfox123 »

Didn't even try? Yeah, there's a great idea, go wolf (or not) in front of two templar, and even if he gets to the point where he and Rose have to make a run for it, they're probably somewhere near the center of town and both of them would be recaptured and then hanged.

The big reason he's sad and resigned about it is because it certainly seems that the situation is entirely out of his control, and there is no way of helping Rose without drawing suspicion to himself. Say, for example, he claims her as a slave. Well that raises some interesting questions from the templars' perspective: Why isn't our star student keeping her under control? Has he been trying to teach her magic? Why doesn't she have a collar on? Something fishy is going on here...

There's a difference between being cowardly and wanting to stay alive. If there was some way he could save her, but he's choosing not to because of some risk towards himself, sure, that's cowardly. But when the only options are to let her die or get both of them killed? Then the case isn't so clear cut: there's a reason some characters in danger tell their intended savior: "just run, don't try to be a hero!"
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#117 Post by TheMouse »

I don't think I've ever dreaded an update so much.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#118 Post by MuonNeutrino »

TheMouse wrote:I don't think I've ever dreaded an update so much.
Yeah... every time I check, I get this horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach while I wait for the page to load. And yet, I have to know what happens... ugh. This kinda hurts. :?

JC the Supreme Tiger
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#119 Post by JC the Supreme Tiger »

It's like watching a train wreck.

I wonder of tom is just going to stop the flashback for a page of exposition.
Lurk moar; it's never enough.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#120 Post by SirSlaughter »

You know after giving thought I have come to 2 hopes.

1. Rose suffers a grisly demise and her neck snaps as the noose hits her neck from the fall. (sorry, violent anime instilled blood lust into my brain)

2. Mister Spy man stop Euchre and makes him answer as to why she claims to know him and why he looks so hurt to walk away. Or even Mary could say something. I wanna know if he gets busted, I wanna see if this situation helped him on the path to getting master strategist position.

I just wanna know what's next.