Comic for February 10th, 2012

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Master
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:10 am
Location: Dortmund, Germany

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#31 Post by victorymon »

sometimes its better to just shut up... now Mike is in real big trouble.
But its another way for Nat to get out of there... somehow. Ahh, Tom and his plot-twists. I like.
Denken hilft zwar, nützt aber nichts
***;)***
Hey everymon, watch this, I´m an Artist: http://victorymon.deviantart.com/
and here I am in my Fur-Suit (as a Werewolf) http://2kinds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10254

User avatar
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 pm
Location: Taconic Mountains

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#32 Post by Gradivus »

Nice save, Tom. Image
Silentdeath wrote:Welcome to Hell. I hope you enjoy your stay here with us cause your dead and can't leave at all
I think you've got a typo there. Were you trying to say "your dead hand can't leave" or "you're dead and can't leave"?

User avatar
Master
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:30 pm
Location: Northeast Continental United States

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#33 Post by Cody MacArthur Fett »

Well, that was a nice distraction on the part of the author, but that still doesn't change the fact that the last comic was a poorly thought out PSA that never should have happened, or that dramatically speaking we should really be focusing on Evals and the drama top side -- seriously, this is like cutting to Jar Jar Binks and C-3P0 juggling whompas right in the middle of Darth Maul swinging at Obi-Wan.

New Citizen
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:31 am
Location: Riding into the jaws of the apocalyps

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#34 Post by Fraggranaut »

Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:Well, that was a nice desecration on the part of the author, but that still doesn't change the fact that the last comic was a poorly thought out PSA that never should have happened, or that dramatically speaking we should really be focusing on Evals and the drama top side -- seriously, this is like cutting to Jar Jar Binks and C-3P0 juggling whompas right in the middle of Darth Maul swinging at Obi-Wan.
'Desecration' of his own creation? Something of his, which is ultimately determined by what he wants to do with it? I mean, be unhappy with how he's going with it if you want but the word 'desecration' doesn't really fit. If it was a fan author abusing the canon of a story or something horribly, yeah, but not when referring to how someone goes about his original work.
Formerly Fraggrnark until events made the email address linked to it unaccessible & I forgot the password to the account here. Opps.
Image

User avatar
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 pm
Location: Taconic Mountains

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#35 Post by Gradivus »

Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:Well, that was a nice desecration on the part of the author, but that still doesn't change the fact that the last comic was a poorly thought out PSA that never should have happened, [etc.]
Well yeah, he pulled a boner on that one, but I think the author has gotten the message (an incredible barrage of criticism) and learned his lesson. Time to forget about it, pretend it never happened, and go from here. As you say in your signature, "Carry on." Image

User avatar
Master
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#36 Post by kryss »

I find Natani's 'wat' hilarious. She *knows* Keith's black magic was a ruse ... to protect her...

But is she now going to wonder - *does* Keith know black magic? Could he have given her a male's body at any time? Has he been keeping her female for his own ends, as he apparently did with Mike?

As for Mike ... it makes perfect sense to him. Natani and Keith both confirmed 'Basitin Black Magic' for him, so to speak ... and then his own experiences bears it out. They have no other reasonable explanation. I mean, what...

Is he supposed to believe that some random dragon, disguised as a kitten, that they've *never* seen, is responsible for changing him into a girl on a whim?

...

That's completely and utterly ridiculous and smacks of fantasy and conspiracy theory. The fact that it's true makes it no more believable. Truth is, after all, stranger than fiction.
In the name of meaningless forum discussion!

2fangs: The Magi Bros Fanfic (part 5 on 3/26/2009)

User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 6271
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: https://goo.gl/7ARWF4

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#37 Post by TinyVoices »

:natani: Wat
:roll:

So, yeah. Not much else to say...

User avatar
Traveler
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:08 am

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#38 Post by regularpatron1 »

Man it has been awhile since I posted something here on the forum. I got to say it feels great to be back. :grin:

Anyway it is time for me to throw my two cents into the fray.

Well this part of the story leaves me wondering where Tom is actually going with this. I mean in the last few pages he has let out two of the most important secrets that Twokinds has! And as the saying goes, "Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

It could lead to Keith being questioned for his supposed use of Black Magic, and leave Natani wondering if Keith is keeping a secret of his own. I also wonder about poor Evals. I mean somebody is gonna spill the beans that he was planning a mutiny, and that will just make things worst for him.

So many loose ends!!! Tom you had better have a great way of tying them all up, or you are gonna give your readers a big :? face.

User avatar
Citizen
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:50 am
Location: Somewhere Magical

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#39 Post by Tracearoundshot »

Poor Mike, it seems everyone on the ship is out to get him now, he's got an owner who wants to strangle him, a hormonal tiger who wants him to touch her belly, Keith who he thinks turned him into a girl and Kat and Nat who think he's crazy and wants to break his neck. All he has left now is Trace and Epps.

User avatar
Master
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 pm
Location: Denmark Bornholm

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#40 Post by Holmborn »

well now... after a lot of seriusness its nice to get some humour in here :D
Within my body, Lies the whole of the universe. I am eternal! -Seth
Image
Image

Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:16 am
Location: Noneyer. :P

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#41 Post by Moviedude18.0 »

Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:Well, that was a nice desecration on the part of the author, but that still doesn't change the fact that the last comic was a poorly thought out PSA that never should have happened, or that dramatically speaking we should really be focusing on Evals and the drama top side -- seriously, this is like cutting to Jar Jar Binks and C-3P0 juggling whompas right in the middle of Darth Maul swinging at Obi-Wan.
I agree the PSA-type thing should have never happened; for a multitude of reasons. However, I think the scene as a whole fits better than you think. It's not like breaking away from Darth Maul swinging at Obi-Wan, because or "Darth Maul" hasn't swung yet. It's basically the equivalent to watching two people taking a stance before fighting versus watching the actual fight.

Not to imply Twokinds is of the same quality (it's ultimately not), but Tom is using a technique that William Shakesphere loved in his plays. He's spent the majority of the chapter building drama. Now, right before the climax, he's cut away to a semi-related scene. Why? For comedy. If you read the scene in one sitting, rather than a page a week as we have done, this scene seems more comedic than dramatic, especially with the turn it's taking now. You could argue its more fanservicey than comedic, but it still achieves the effect as a break from the drama before we're hit with the climax. And besides that, there's both character development (Kat) and set ups for development (Natani and Mike). The blunder with Kat last page aside, I find no literary fault with the storytelling here.

Now, with that out of the way I have to say I feel sorry for Mike. Poor bloke, Tom seems to be setting him up as another Wobbie. :(
Image Image

User avatar
Worth 1000 Words
Posts: 7575
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:43 am
Location: Neither here nor there

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#42 Post by Schrodinger »

Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:Well, that was a nice desecration on the part of the author, but that still doesn't change the fact that the last comic was a poorly thought out PSA that never should have happened, or that dramatically speaking we should really be focusing on Evals and the drama top side -- seriously, this is like cutting to Jar Jar Binks and C-3P0 juggling whompas right in the middle of Darth Maul swinging at Obi-Wan.
Image

I think you may be exaggerating just a tad bit there. While the story may have taken a left turn into boobies and lols I doubt this would be the "desecration" of anything. I admit, this is very poorly timed, very poorly timed but this is in no way shape or form as bad as [censored] Jar Jar.



Also:

Fraggranaut wrote:By the Ruinous Powers, I can't wait to see how this goes.
Image
What was it the spider said to the fly...

User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 2642
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Billings, Montana
Contact:

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#43 Post by Talaisan »

Woot, two in one week! Also, really, who didn't see this coming?
Marian's Tale 1-4 and 5-? - Rated R. Sex, kink, spies, nobility, scandal, plots, ploys, and one poor, confused college girl stuck in the middle.
My FurAffinity : Stories and fantasy garb.

User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 7006
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:33 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Comic for February 10, 2012

#44 Post by avwolf »

Well, the "wat" is funny, but I think my favorite part is Mike's commentary in the third panel. "Have you seen Keith lately? I think he has gone a bit funny." Ah, Mike, keep bits like that up and I'll petition for you to be kept around once the party leaves the boat. :P Though why is Mike suddenly British? Those are Queen's English turns of phrase. Now Kat might put together the whole bit where she found Mike and Evals kissing in bed, and that's just going to lead to more confusion.

I can't imagine what's going through Natani's head. "I'd better get away from these crazy people before I go crazy too. It might be catching!" would be a pretty reasonable thing, in light of all of this. Flee, Natani. Flee, and find yourself some clothing.
Shadow3750 wrote:If memory serves right they( :mike: :evals: ) had little contact with Nat, as :natani: had voluntarily locked (insert here)self for quite some time/or maybe a small while(in heat), since keith had been guarding Nat's door, Mike and Evals were deathly afraid of the consequence if they somehow offended Keith, and thus still think Nat is a male, but when Mike had been ordered to tell keith they were about to reach land, he noticed keith was fetching strips of clothes for Natani, thus suspecting Nat is still 'cursed' this could be the possible theory that Mike included '...this whole time...' in one of his few sentences. Keith was blamed as he was nowhere to be seen for the last few comic strips, although the BBM business could be taken advantage of.
On top of that, it was suggested that Mike caught a whiff of Natani's scent during that period, further cementing the concept in his head that Keith had turned Natani into a woman, for Keith's own nefarious ends.
kryss wrote:But is she now going to wonder - *does* Keith know black magic? Could he have given her a male's body at any time? Has he been keeping her female for his own ends, as he apparently did with Mike?
That is going to be even more awkward than Natani's "I'm going to give you a kiss, but it doesn't mean anything!" conversation. :P

I knew this would end up as a comedy relief aside. Nice to have some small vindication in all of this.
Image

User avatar
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 pm
Location: Taconic Mountains

Re: Comic for February 10th, 2012

#45 Post by Gradivus »

Moviedude18.0 wrote:I agree the PSA-type thing should have never happened; for a multitude of reasons. However, I think the scene as a whole fits better than you think.(
Schrodinger wrote:I admit, this is very poorly timed, very poorly timed but this is in no way shape or form as bad as [censored] Jar Jar.
Agreed. It was an unfortunate "we interrupt the play to have a character to deliver an editorial" moment, but that happens sometimes. I remember in the Broadway show Wicked the writer just had to take a swipe at Ronald Reagan in one of the songs (“Celebrated heads of state, and even great communicators - did they have brains or knowledge? Don't make me laugh - they were Popular!") Momentarily detrimental to the overall drama because it blatently interposed a modern-day political issue into what was supposed to be a fantasy story,* but then the audience was able to just dismiss the intrusion and go on with enjoying the play. The PSA was just a blemish, now let's forget about it. I can appreciate that the reason it was so noticeable is that the rest of the production has been so incredibly and uniformly good. So, that's a good thing! :)

*Not that this can't be done successfully in other ways. Some of the great fantasy stories of all time (e.g., Gulliver's Travels) were filled with allegorical criticisms of political, government, and cultural conventions. But when that's done successfully it's because the story itself does it through metaphor and analogy (for example, what Tom is doing successfully with his inter-racial story of Trace and Flora). It's only when it becomes blatant and heavy-handed that it doesn't work – it can't work, because it disrupts the internal consistency of the story and/or the logic of the fantasy society, thereby impeding the suspension of disbelief necessary when presenting any fictional vehicle. You just can't force a message like that.

So it shouldn't be a problem here unless it continues and becomes a focus of the story. Remember when Ellen DeGeneres' activist buddies convinced her she had a duty to use the popularity of her show to "educate" the unwashed masses of middle America about tolerance toward lesbians and homosexuals? Her show quickly lost ratings and was canceled. It wasn't because people were prejudiced against lesbians; it was because the humorous experiences of life as a lesbian just didn't relate to most of their their lives, so they lost interest. That, and because people don't like being preached to.

Post Reply