Twokinds Translations

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kindamoody
Master

Re: Twokinds Translations

#106 Post by Kindamoody »

OMGITSABIST wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm I don't know if I'd have the time, but how do I translate names of the characters into an entirely different language, say, Chinese?
(Chinese words work in a totally different way...)
That's an interesting problem! Tom has seemed reluctant to names being translated but I know that sometimes they have to be. As for how to translate names, that depends on the language (and I don't know a word in Chinese so I can't help you there). In my own language I've tried to find out the meaning of a name and, if necessary, come up with a suitable alternative.
Sorry about my animated avatar, I couldn't resist.
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. -Mahatma Gandhi
Twokinds Swedish translation: http://twokinds.se
Twokinds text erased pages: http://kindamoody.com/versions/

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#107 Post by Schrodinger »

Kindamoody wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:29 am
OMGITSABIST wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm I don't know if I'd have the time, but how do I translate names of the characters into an entirely different language, say, Chinese?
That's an interesting problem! Tom has seemed reluctant to names being translated but I know that sometimes they have to be. As for how to translate names, that depends on the language (and I don't know a word in Chinese so I can't help you there). In my own language I've tried to find out the meaning of a name and, if necessary, come up with a suitable alternative.
Essentially you aren't taking the word-for-word translations and printing them, but adapting them to better fit the language or the culture you're bringing the work to. Names can often be left as is or changed to a local equivalent, but a thematic one like Evals's (slave backwards) might need some extra steps. Sythe's too, since his is a misspelling of the farm tool. Idioms are much the same way.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

OMGITSABIST

#108 Post by OMGITSABIST »

Schrodinger wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:56 am
Kindamoody wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:29 am
Essentially you aren't taking the word-for-word translations and printing them, but adapting them to better fit the language or the culture you're bringing the work to. Names can often be left as is or changed to a local equivalent, but a thematic one like Evals's (slave backwards) might need some extra steps. Sythe's too, since his is a misspelling of the farm tool. Idioms are much the same way.
Well some of the names are quite straightforward like Mike and Eric since they are common names and have legit translations even from Google Translate.
There are also the names that work quite well when just translating by pronunciation like Natani and Zen.
Then there are the weird ones to work in Chinese like Trace and Flora, which are hard to present in Chinese characters that still sounds good. (btw, I tried Google Translate for these names and all I got was "track" and "plants")
Finally, there are the ones with an extra layer of meaning to it, like you mentioned, Evals and Sythe. Those are going to be difficult.
I also have to be careful with my usage of Chinese radicals for names like Natani for plot reasons, or just to emphasize their personality.
All in all, that's a lot to consider for just translating names.
Anyone who knows Chinese that might be able to help?

(It's just hard to explain the limitations of Chinese, not that I don't appreciate your suggestions and pointers.)

Kindamoody
Master

#109 Post by Kindamoody »

One place to try is the chat (there's a link on the main page). If you're in luck, you'll be able to ask Tom directly in there. Right now he's in bed but maybe in 8 hours or so. ;)

But if you go there, keep in mind that you need to be patient and polite. The chat is sometimes active, sometimes not. Comic discussions is a very worn-out topic so don't expect anyone but Tom to be willing to discuss it. And he's usually busy. Good luck anyway. :)

Warrl
Grand Templar

#110 Post by Warrl »

I would say try to keep references, but recast them in a way that would be comprehensible to native speakers of the language. Catch is that the references are from a huge number of cultures; the only way to be even halfway sure a name is NOT a cultural reference is to make heavy use of your favorite search engines.

(Of course, some references are more obscure than others. I'd suggest learning a bit about the original references, and then replacing some of them with references the target audience of the translation would understand.)

Some of the names aren't references, so in those cases go for suitably equivalent terms. For example: is there a Chinese given name for females, that has a shortened form that is also a common term for a cat? If so, you have a good translation-candidate for Katerina Donlan's given name. Or you may prefer to not translate some names at all. A concern there is that you don't want the reader scanning happily along in their native tongue and then stumbling over a word that is such an obvious foreign insertion that it's hard to pronounce or even think.

Eglamore is a cultural reference (not sure about specifically James Eglamore). So are Coyote, Reynard, Ysengrin, ALL the psychopomps except maybe Ketrak, and many of the other etheric beings. Same for the Annan waters.

There's one family that is a special case - unsurprisingly it's Annie's family. Antimony is a metal. Surma is a cosmetic, also known as "kohl", that contains antimony. Stibnite (Surma's maiden name) is an ore from which one can refine antimony. Translating to a language where most readers won't be sufficiently familiar with European names to be comfortable with them, I would definitely translate these into equivalent terms. However, I must point out that to a native English-speaker these words also *sound like* plausible names. Heck, "Antimony" even shortens nicely to a two-syllable variant that is a pretty common name in its own right plus a shortened form of at least two far-from-rare longer names. (Most names as commonly used are one or two syllables.)

Valerio

#111 Post by Valerio »

Heyy'all, fawlks!

Just to let you know: Italian translations are almost par with the archive! You can find them HERE:

http://www.furtopia.it/retefumetti/two-kinds/?start=1

Also: I remember being there some 'special ministories' that don't appear in the archive. I think they were made for Christmas and other such occasions. Can someone link me to them so that I can translate them as well and put them in my own archive?

Thank you!

amenon
Grand Templar

#112 Post by amenon »

Valerio wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:51 am Also: I remember being there some 'special ministories' that don't appear in the archive. I think they were made for Christmas and other such occasions. Can someone link me to them so that I can translate them as well and put them in my own archive?

Thank you!
Most of them would be here.

A quick look through Tom's dA also found these:
2014 April Fools
Mistletoe 2015
Mistletoe 2016
Magic Bandages (This was actually a vote incentive, but, well, it's still a page.)
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Valerio

#113 Post by Valerio »

Excellent! Thank you very much. I will post most of them on my FB page, since they're off canon and too high rated for the site...EXCEPT FOR:

the first april fool page: What number was it supposed to have back then, so that I can insert into the archive?
The minicomic MISSPELL: Same thing - between which official comics was this published? I am sure I saw it on the official site.
Also, was the comic "Magic Bandages' posted as a special on the site?
Mistletoe 2015 and Mistletoe 2016: What was their position, again? SWEET ROMANCE WON'T BE DENIED!

Thank you very much, you are being of great help!^^ :karen:

Ceptos
Traveler

#114 Post by Ceptos »

Valerio wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:51 am Heyy'all, fawlks!

Just to let you know: Italian translations are almost par with the archive! You can find them HERE:

http://www.furtopia.it/retefumetti/two-kinds/?start=1

Also: I remember being there some 'special ministories' that don't appear in the archive. I think they were made for Christmas and other such occasions. Can someone link me to them so that I can translate them as well and put them in my own archive?

Thank you!
Goodness gracious, now I can only imagine every character speaking in an incredibly thick Italian accent in the English rendition of the comic.
"I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood and I have no problem going out the same way."

Valerio

#115 Post by Valerio »

:mrgrin: :mrgrin: :mrgrin: :mrgrin: :mrgrin:

And it's official, by Friday = PAR! Yay! :Maddie: :Maddie:

amenon
Grand Templar

#116 Post by amenon »

Valerio wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm the first april fool page: What number was it supposed to have back then, so that I can insert into the archive?
The long one with Alaric? It was actually five pages run over about a week, but they came after this page.

Valerio wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pmThe minicomic MISSPELL: Same thing - between which official comics was this published? I am sure I saw it on the official site.
I'm 99% certain MISSPELL was never on the front page.

Valerio wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pmAlso, was the comic "Magic Bandages' posted as a special on the site?
Nope. Just a voting incentive.

Valerio wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pmMistletoe 2015 and Mistletoe 2016: What was their position, again? SWEET ROMANCE WON'T BE DENIED!
After 897, and after 955. (They're actually both still there if you click 'next' from those pages, they're just not numbered.)

Valerio wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pmThank you very much, you are being of great help!^^ :karen:
No problem :)
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Valerio

#117 Post by Valerio »

DONE!!!
here's latest page as of today!
http://www.furtopia.it/retefumetti/two- ... start=1010

Kindamoody
Master

#118 Post by Kindamoody »

Well done, Valerio! The first page of this topic is updated with a link to your translation.
Impressive job. Keep up the good work! :)

Valerio

#119 Post by Valerio »

*bows* thank you! Every new comic will be posted on Monday, as I update the site in the morning, mon-fri. :Lynn:
Keep up the awesome! :nora:

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#120 Post by Technic[Bot] »

If anyone, other than me, follows or is marginally interested about the Spanish translation. The host site shutdown completely on January 31st the "archive" is hosted as multiple pdfs here.
I know this is another forum but it's apparently the only backup

I am probably the only one who cares about this but It might be better just to let everyone know.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide