Comic 11/24/09

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Pirate-isms
Traveler

Re: Comic 11/24/09

#31 Post by Pirate-isms »

The first time I looked at it, I was like nooo, not Keith, but then it's the king, which still sucks, and plus Laura died as well as Alarac, which sucks a lot too, but then again it would not be a very good comic if everyone kept on surviving stuff like this.
Who would have thought?

PhycoKrusk
Grand Templar

#32 Post by PhycoKrusk »

Gotheran wrote:you made them? well it'sa bit late but mucho gracias senior psycho!
It's Phyco. There's no "s".
Pirate-isms wrote:The first time I looked at it, I was like nooo, not Keith, but then it's the king, which still sucks, and plus Laura died as well as Alarac, which sucks a lot too, but then again it would not be a very good comic if everyone kept on surviving stuff like this.
There's no proof that Laura is dead, yet. She could be very much alive.

Although I very much doubt it. :(

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#33 Post by epion04 »

The casualty count keeps growing, we have Alaric, Adelaide, and the Arms General confirmed more or less, and it is looking more and more like Laura and Alabaster will be among the lost as well.

I can't help but wonder here, if Adelaide is dead as well as at least 2 ( possibly all 3 ) generals, what might happen as far as the balance of power between the races. Perhaps this path will prevent the basitin from falling into the templar's hands so to speak. The less power under control of the templar the better Trace and Flora's chances are.
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.
I FAILED KINDERGARTEN SPELLING!!!>_<

Nalok
Citizen

#34 Post by Nalok »

Sebbie wrote:
Dlemon wrote:
Slayer126 wrote:NOOOO, WHEN DID ADELAIDE DI- oh right, big explosion.
That was my exact reaction- word for word. XD

'The Mourning' is an ominous title, I think there'll be more casualties and damage to the courtyard than I'd thought before.
It's "Morning," not "Mourning" - an important distinction. "Morning" alludes to a new dawn, a new day; hope. Although, of course, the double entendre is quite clever of Tom, since there will undoubtedly be mourning as well.

B-but I already thought about that on IRC D:

RatherInconsiderateFellow
Templar Master

#35 Post by RatherInconsiderateFellow »

So, from this I glean;

- Adelaide dead.
- The three generals dead and in coffins. There's no reason for Laura to be buried alongside the generals.
- Laura's dead. According to Natani, Keidran cremate their dead, and spread the ashes to the wind. This could be an explanation for the following.
- ash/snow/fallout falling from the sky. Remnants of the explosion, first snow of winter, or Laura's ashes, nobody knows.

And about the king;
Remember that the Basitin have near immunity to poison and sickness. Stuff that should be a one-hit-kill only stopped keith for a minute at most. Adelaide would have to be seriously sick for people to be surprised at her being outside. Now, that kind of sick really just doesn't happen, so I suspect she was being constantly poisoned to limit her control over the situation. If an arrowheads worth of insta-kill poison kept keith down for a minute, a glass of it at every meal could probably keep the king bedridden.

In any event, something was seriously wrong with the king to begin with, so her death shouldn't really be a surprise.
Join the dark side. We have cookies. And free Wifi.

Dlemon
Grand Templar

#36 Post by Dlemon »

Sebbie wrote:
Dlemon wrote:
Slayer126 wrote:NOOOO, WHEN DID ADELAIDE DI- oh right, big explosion.
That was my exact reaction- word for word. XD

'The Mourning' is an ominous title, I think there'll be more casualties and damage to the courtyard than I'd thought before.
It's "Morning," not "Mourning" - an important distinction. "Morning" alludes to a new dawn, a new day; hope. Although, of course, the double entendre is quite clever of Tom, since there will undoubtedly be mourning as well.
Pssh, I knew I couldn't spell, but now I can't read?

Well, 'Morning' seems to suggest things will start to get better in this chapter. And if the king was killed, than Alabastard and Laura would die almost certainly. Hopefully Laura and Keith will get parting words.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Master

#37 Post by Cody MacArthur Fett »

Sebbie wrote:
PhycoKrusk wrote:
Sebbie wrote:...is that snow?
It's fallout.
How long does fallout last? I mean, they had time to prepare the king and clean up the explosion site; I would imagine that would take some time.
That depends. Do you want to wait till all the radiation's gone, or just till it's reduced to a livable level? Hiroshima is still technically irradiated from Little Boy going off, but life goes on there and hardly anyone at all gets rad poisoning anymore -- wasn't that way for a while.

On a topical note: I can spot two tropes right away in this scene. First, Snow Means Death, which absolutely sucks, especially since the identity of the characters is left ambiguous. Secondly, why in frak's name is Adeliade dead?! It makes no sense since she was killed off-screen. In other words, Tom Dropped A Bridge On Her. Seriously, I hate that trope.

PhycoKrusk
Grand Templar

#38 Post by PhycoKrusk »

Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:On a topical note: I can spot two tropes right away in this scene. First, Snow Means Death, which absolutely sucks, especially since the identity of the characters is left ambiguous. Secondly, why in frak's name is Adeliade dead?! It makes no sense since she was killed off-screen. In other words, Tom Dropped A Bridge On Her. Seriously, I hate that trope.
She was also ill and therefore, not at her best before the fight even started.

Second, she took a point-blank nuclear manaball in the face.

Dlemon
Grand Templar

#39 Post by Dlemon »

Cody MacArthur Fett wrote: It makes no sense since she was killed off-screen. In other words, Tom Dropped A Bridge On Her. Seriously, I hate that trope.
She didn't have a bridge dropped on her, she may have died in the explosion, or of the unknown sickness that ails her. Alabastard said himself she wasn't in a fit enough condition to be out and about. Tom get's bonus point's if she died from the sickness short after the incident.

Ninja'd Damnnit. D:<

Yami Takashi
Merchant
Location: in my lab raising an army of honey possums to throw at people

#40 Post by Yami Takashi »

PhycoKrusk wrote:
Sebbie wrote:
PhycoKrusk wrote:
Sebbie wrote:...is that snow?
It's fallout.
How long does fallout last? I mean, they had time to prepare the king and clean up the explosion site; I would imagine that would take some time.
Depends on how much dust was tossed into the air and prevailing wind conditions. Could be falling for quite some time.

Or, it could just be harmless ash and still falling for quite some time.
Its probably some kind of nuclear winter.

I doubt its dust or radioactive stuff in the sense of what a nuclear explosion would have in terms of fall out. Its probably some kind of charged particles. That explosion at best it threw dust/debris into the air about 30 feet high. Plus look at the ground, it seems undisturbed. Its not even a huge crater, its like the explosion just kicked up a little dust off the blades of grass. If anything the grass looks like it has never been healthier.

If i was to guess, the falling material is some kind of mana, snow, crystallized and/or charged particles of water or other material. Its likely the product of the magical beam super charging the water vapor in the sky/clouds, and now is causing this fallout. It is also possible that the beam from the explosion hit the Ozone, then reflected back in a slow steady fallout.

It is also possible that those are charged particles flowing up from the ground. The explosion could have impregnated the earth with immense manna, and now its giving off a glow in the form of those particles. Telling by how there doesn't seem to be any crater, and that the plant life seems to be flourishing I would say that is a equally high probability.

Anyone else get a kind of Superman Doomsday feel from that picture? the cloak just reminds me so much of Superman's cape fluttering in the wind on a pole after the fight with doomsday. Plus the king being covered by he cape reminds me of something I saw where Superman was covered by his cape or a blanket with his symbol.
Two guys walk into a bar...they come out sauced.

Kitsuny
New Citizen

#41 Post by Kitsuny »

I wonder if Alaric's gift to Keith was making him the King of Basitins [I guess he poisoned the king because he was afraid she might have survived the battle, considering she is the strongest].

Keith's the only of all the generals and king herself who survived, he will be seen as a hero/savior for the basitin [isn't that how Adelaide became the King as well?]. But Keith's gotta be a drama queen 90% of the time, so he's gonna turn Alaric's gift down by not accepting the title.

PhycoKrusk
Grand Templar

#42 Post by PhycoKrusk »

Yami Takashi wrote:Its probably some kind of nuclear winter.
"Nuclear winters" are caused because nuclear weapons throw a lot of dust into the air; a lot going off at once throws up enough dust to block out the sun. In any case, I wasn't serious about it being fallout. As others have said, it's most likely snowing because it's winter, or, as you mention later, the blast of mana causing the rain that was falling to chill into snow. Either way, the purpose of snow is not to signify that people died (because we knew that), but rather to show a quiet serenity falling over the island, while the rising sun signifies the end of the old Basitin society and the beginning of a new one.

Kitsuny wrote:I wonder if Alaric's gift to Keith was making him the King of Basitins [I guess he poisoned the king because he was afraid she might have survived the battle, considering she is the strongest].

Keith's the only of all the generals and king herself who survived, he will be seen as a hero/savior for the basitin [isn't that how Adelaide became the King as well?].

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#43 Post by Sebbie »

Kitsuny wrote:Keith's the only of all the generals and king herself who survived, he will be seen as a hero/savior for the basitin [isn't that how Adelaide became the King as well?].
The king and definitely two, probably three, generals are dead because Keith returned to the island. Why would anyone see him as a hero? And I don't think it's known how Adelaide became king (or how a king is chosen in general, for that matter).

NINJA EDIT: THE PHYCOMANIAC STRIKES AGAIN!
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

RatherInconsiderateFellow
Templar Master

#44 Post by RatherInconsiderateFellow »

I still like the idea of the "snow" being Laura's ashes scattered to the wind at the funeral rather than it being nuclear fallout.

Remember? Keith and Nat in the graveyard? Talking about how Keidran cremated their dead?
Join the dark side. We have cookies. And free Wifi.

AzeNaku
Templar Inner Circle

#45 Post by AzeNaku »

Adelaide
Alaric
Alabaster
Arms

Tom sure hates people with A-names.

Wait a second!
Set Azers to "Pun". ImageImageImage