Comic for September 11, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt3

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Comic for September 11, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt3

#46 Post by steelabjur »

Tornir wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:36 pm When he said rift i picture just some random teleportation rift outside the state, Reni has shown those things exists. But make sense they have been smuggling personell directly through the RiftWall since that think seems to provide long rage teleportation something only a very mad raine has been capable of, An as you point out, it has been subtly hinted they are coming through there.
Hmmm... If you mean the one opened with her gate key, they're single ended, but not random. Also, the operational constraints those things have render them unsuitable for the rapid, repeated, multi-person usage the wolves seem to require.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:36 pm Also have we been told what happened to the captive wolves? Seemed like and important plot point but seems handwaved away due to the more important matters necromancy rituals happening in the state.
Well, if they'd been liberated by the real wolven army, they'd now be free back in wolf territory.
Since it was Clovis's guild that freed them, I did think they'd be added to the long list of people that Owe Clovis A Favor, and put to work.
However, after further thought, I'm considering the possibility they may be dead.

The wolven government/military don't yet know they're now at war with the tigers. When they do find out they're going to want to know WTF happened, and who's responsible. After they discover it's because wolves disguised as templar attacked the tigers (and (intentionally) got found out), while using that as a distraction to liberate all the internees, they're going to wonder where all those liberated wolves are. If there's no one left around to befound and questioned, Clovis doesn't get the wolven govt/army after him.
Is causing a foreign power to declare war on your homeland classed as treason?
Not to mention that Clovis isn't one to miss a trick, Wolves who couldn't pay him back in favors could certainly be sold into slavery, I'm sure that would sit with his fox side just fine too. :wink:

mhalpern
Citizen

#47 Post by mhalpern »

As I understand it gate keys ONLY take the user to their own home, they are reusable, but they take a long time to recharge

trantor
Apprentice

#48 Post by trantor »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:45 am Yeah Detritus did not believed him and wanted to kill flora. Seems we were right on the money.

And yes Detritus seems to really not like begin burned alive by a stone dragon. I understand he is meant to be a guardian but isn't it fire breath a bit of an overkill when it is already an unstoppable stone golem? What did Trace expected his child to be doing?
Maybe rent him to Rammstein for their Fireshows? :grin:

mhalpern
Citizen

#49 Post by mhalpern »

Tornir wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 am There's another possible post-battle escape scenario.
Trace's gate key.
Zen, Nat, Sythe, Raine, Rose(?), Evals(?) (and Brutus?) can't travel freely in Human (and now Tiger) territory.
If Trace and Flora (and the Basitins?) head for Lyn'Knoll, Reni can guard the "prisoners" remaining within the confines of the estate.
On arrival, Trace activates the gate key, and everyone bails out the back door to (hopefully) safety.

Currently, 2K canon renders gate keys virtually useless; if they can't go through themselves, the holder either has to use them only to send others through then walk back, or abandon the key on the other side. Opening the gate from a specific location to let others out seems the only (current) practical use for the thing, otherwise there seems no point in Rose giving it to Trace.
The other scenario, is thanks to teleportation being suppressed, Reni manages to capture Clovis, at least long enough to extract details of Bahn's involvement. After that its do everything possible to throw everyone's active plans for a loop, the confusion could allow them to negotiate peace locally.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#50 Post by Tornir »

mhalpern wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 pm The other scenario, is thanks to teleportation being suppressed, Reni manages to capture Clovis, at least long enough to extract details of Brahn's involvement. After that its do everything possible to throw everyone's active plans for a loop, the confusion could allow them to negotiate peace locally.
There's too many unknowns ATM. but I don't think Clovis will be captured; I think it's more likely Reni gets her tail kicked, but she may get some insights during the fight, unless that amulet protects against that.
I'm not even sure exactly why Clovis is attacking the estate. It may have been pre-planned to test the amulet against Nora's security system magic (and the parties wolves just happened to roll up in time to make a nice secondary objective), or it may have been a spontaneous thing to tidy up the loose ends of Sam and Brutus, while also testing the amulet. Another possibility is that there's something located in the estate Clovis wants.

As for negotiating a peace, I wonder if the Basitin military could be called in to act as peacekeepers? Getting the disparate groups to actually listen is going to be a problem. Trace would likely split the Templar; the architect is dead, the spy and strategist may side with him, the seer would oppose him, and the mage? Not sure which side they're on ATM. After Edinmere the Tigers may listen to him, but the wolves likely won't, and a couple of assassins and a wanted traitor aren't likely to be much help with his credibility there.

mhalpern
Citizen

#51 Post by mhalpern »

Tornir wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:59 am
mhalpern wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 pm The other scenario, is thanks to teleportation being suppressed, Reni manages to capture Clovis, at least long enough to extract details of Brahn's involvement. After that its do everything possible to throw everyone's active plans for a loop, the confusion could allow them to negotiate peace locally.
There's too many unknowns ATM. but I don't think Clovis will be captured; I think it's more likely Reni gets her tail kicked, but she may get some insights during the fight, unless that amulet protects against that.
I'm not even sure exactly why Clovis is attacking the estate. It may have been pre-planned to test the amulet against Nora's security system magic (and the parties wolves just happened to roll up in time to make a nice secondary objective), or it may have been a spontaneous thing to tidy up the loose ends of Sam and Brutus, while also testing the amulet. Another possibility is that there's something located in the estate Clovis wants.

As for negotiating a peace, I wonder if the Basitin military could be called in to act as peacekeepers? Getting the disparate groups to actually listen is going to be a problem. Trace would likely split the Templar; the architect is dead, the spy and strategist may side with him, the seer would oppose him, and the mage? Not sure which side they're on ATM. After Edinmere the Tigers may listen to him, but the wolves likely won't, and a couple of assassins and a wanted traitor aren't likely to be much help with his credibility there.
Spy and Strategist (I believe Raine's Father) seem to want to keep Trace from going back to madman mode, Seer and probably Mage are the opposite. chaos of a certain wedding could get people to stay long enough to talk, basitins could also impose conditions for aid, after what Architect tried doing, it'd be surprising if they didn't, and after the fire, its not like they have a place to argue, with the war it's not like aid is available from other human towns.

Tornir
Master

#52 Post by Tornir »

mhalpern wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:27 pm Spy and Strategist (I believe Raine's Father) seem to want to keep Trace from going back to madman mode, Seer and probably Mage are the opposite. chaos of a certain wedding could get people to stay long enough to talk, basitins could also impose conditions for aid, after what Architect tried doing, it'd be surprising if they didn't, and after the fire, its not like they have a place to argue, with the war it's not like aid is available from other human towns.
Spy and Strategist also don't want Seer taking over (which he's trying to do), as he appears to want Keidran genocide, as Old Trace did. Mage may support a New Trace return, an Old Trace return, or a Seer coup; they don't appear to be working with him, so options 2 and 3 seem more likely.
I was thinking of the Basitins, as they're a faction with no stake in the current conflict, so they could tell combatants to back off without being seen as a priority target themselves.
Imposing conditions on Edinmere may be seen as opportunistic partisan hostility rather than neutrality.

mhalpern
Citizen

#53 Post by mhalpern »

Tornir wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 pm
mhalpern wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:27 pm Spy and Strategist (I believe Raine's Father) seem to want to keep Trace from going back to madman mode, Seer and probably Mage are the opposite. chaos of a certain wedding could get people to stay long enough to talk, basitins could also impose conditions for aid, after what Architect tried doing, it'd be surprising if they didn't, and after the fire, its not like they have a place to argue, with the war it's not like aid is available from other human towns.
Spy and Strategist also don't want Seer taking over (which he's trying to do), as he appears to want Keidran genocide, as Old Trace did. Mage may support a New Trace return, an Old Trace return, or a Seer coup; they don't appear to be working with him, so options 2 and 3 seem more likely.
I was thinking of the Basitins, as they're a faction with no stake in the current conflict, so they could tell combatants to back off without being seen as a priority target themselves.
Imposing conditions on Edinmere may be seen as opportunistic partisan hostility rather than neutrality.
so long as those conditions aren't onerous, remember however, the Templar, or at least a rouge element within the Templar recently attempted to wipe them out, any relationship with Humans at this point now demands, at minimum assurance that those whom they are dealing with aren't part of the offending faction and will not knowingly aid them. without that being a military centric culture, hostilities are almost certain to break out between the locals and anyone they send to provide aid, especially any soldiers. It could be something simple like getting rid of collars, that way they can be more confident those they deal with are masters of their own thoughts at minimum, there is after all quite a difference between following orders out of loyalty vs being unable to do anything else.

mhalpern
Citizen

#54 Post by mhalpern »

there is another character that from last we knew (been doing rereading) was still alive that may play a role, Mary Silverlock, who's form was restored by Neutral. Now that she's free, and has been for some time, it seems odd that she wouldn't have her own machinations,

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#55 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tornir wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:59 am

Clovis only reason to be there was Brutus he wanted to do him himself. Otherwise he would have simply send someone to recover Roan and the cow guy. Or you know simply let them die there.
Tornir wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 pm
If i remember correctly Sirius is master soy, Euchre was master strategist and breakfast cereal was seer, Architect is deed and we have never seen mage.

Euchre and Sirius seem to want to have nice guy Trace just fooling around with his new wife. I suspect they have plan of the own. All Bran wants to become the new grand master and Who knows what Mage wants.

By the way do we now previous position of Trace before taking over? I believe he may have been master mage but i don't think we ever got confirmation of his rank prior the coup.
mhalpern wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 pm there is another character that from last we knew (been doing rereading) was still alive that may play a role, Mary Silverlock, who's form was restored by Neutral. Now that she's free, and has been for some time, it seems odd that she wouldn't have her own machinations,
Ah yes Mary she kinda feel of the face if the earth after the first arc. Personaly i think she is hiding she is still s person if interest for the rest of the parties, Bran, Euchre and even Trace.

Not sure if she left Raine because she figured she would be safer than with her and/or didn't wanted to take her away from her only friends. On the other hand she may be a horrible mother and is was she could finally get rid of that monster that happens to be her child. However if that were the case she could have get rid of her long ago.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#56 Post by Tornir »

I think Euchre and Sirius are playing a long game, and that may be to make Euchre Grand Templar. Euchre aided Old Trace in deposing Mary, but only on condition she wasn't killed (so he still has feelings for her?) If he'd done that himself, he'd probably have had no choice but to kill her to stop her exposing his secret.
Trace killed all the old Masters loyal to her, so she currently has no senior people in the Templar she could call on for support; I don't think we'll be seeing a counter-revolutionary return to power from her (but we may meet up with her again at Lyn'Knoll?).

I'm also wondering how much involvement Euchre had with Neutral's plan. Their goals appear to have been broadly similar until Neutral possessed Flora and made her fight Trace, which was when he stepped in.

The current Master Mage has so far been a background character (do we even know their name?), but the illustration here looks like they're wearing some sort of face covering. If it's A Mask, which one, and why?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#57 Post by Bellhead »

Tornir wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:13 am The current Master Mage has so far been a background character (do we even know their name?), but the illustration here looks like they're wearing some sort of face covering. If it's A Mask, which one, and why?
As far as we know, the three masks (demigods) are Order, Neutral and Chaos, currently representing Basitin, Keidran and Humans, respectively. Ancient lore states that, if they did so choose, the Masks could "trade" their races in their game, but that scenario seems more theoretical than likely.

That said, that one time was the only time we've even heard of the Master Mage, aside from Here. He's clearly evil based on the actions we've seen from him, though his end goal is still unknown. And from what we can see in that image, it might me a mask of some kind, but my initial impression of that when I first saw it was that his face was deformed in some way, probably due to an awry experiment on his part.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

mhalpern
Citizen

#58 Post by mhalpern »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:18 am
Tornir wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:13 am The current Master Mage has so far been a background character (do we even know their name?), but the illustration here looks like they're wearing some sort of face covering. If it's A Mask, which one, and why?
As far as we know, the three masks (demigods) are Order, Neutral and Chaos, currently representing Basitin, Keidran and Humans, respectively. Ancient lore states that, if they did so choose, the Masks could "trade" their races in their game, but that scenario seems more theoretical than likely.

That said, that one time was the only time we've even heard of the Master Mage, aside from Here. He's clearly evil based on the actions we've seen from him, though his end goal is still unknown. And from what we can see in that image, it might me a mask of some kind, but my initial impression of that when I first saw it was that his face was deformed in some way, probably due to an awry experiment on his part.
I suspect Mage is doing a man behind the curtain/throne on Bahn

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#59 Post by Bellhead »

mhalpern wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:50 am I suspect Mage is doing a man behind the curtain/throne on Bahn
So you suspect Mage is calling the shots here? That could be possible. But what do you think his goal would be?

I mean, if you go back to... I think it was chapter 6 pt. 2? Neutral was seen talking to Master Seer, here. With your theory, it could have been Mage that ordered Seer to make that plan with Neutral... But if that's the case, it would seem even more likely that Mage wears the mask of Chaos, or at least has been in cahoots with it. That... makes quite a bit of sense, actually. Especially with his face beside the other Master Templar. But how would Old Trace have fit into all that? Did he know? Was it his plan from the beginning?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

mhalpern
Citizen

#60 Post by mhalpern »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:30 pm
mhalpern wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:50 am I suspect Mage is doing a man behind the curtain/throne on Bahn
So you suspect Mage is calling the shots here? That could be possible. But what do you think his goal would be?

I mean, if you go back to... I think it was chapter 6 pt. 2? Neutral was seen talking to Master Seer, here. With your theory, it could have been Mage that ordered Seer to make that plan with Neutral... But if that's the case, it would seem even more likely that Mage wears the mask of Chaos, or at least has been in cahoots with it. That... makes quite a bit of sense, actually. Especially with his face beside the other Master Templar. But how would Old Trace have fit into all that? Did he know? Was it his plan from the beginning?
My thinking is that Mage is using Seer to further their genocidal goals, and plans to either remove him or carry on once Seer is no longer useful. As for old Trace, from what I've gathered he wasn't in charge for long, and from flashbacks of young Trace, he wasn't exactly comital on the whole race thing before losing Saria, at least not the way [database error] was, Mage could have ultimately orchestrated Trace's rise and downfall, having taken place over such a short span of time, wanting Mad Trace back is more an issue of wanting a weapon.