Comic for January 25, 2020: Old Plans Reawakened

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Comic for January 25, 2020: Old Plans Reawakened

#16 Post by Eclipse »

Well, so much for that. Sythe just got c*ckblocked by an Evil Trace black magic ritual. This isn't going to be a fun time.

And yeah, definitely explains why Evil Trace was dating Maren. Did anyone really believe he was legitimately interested in her?

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#17 Post by CrRAR »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:17 amAnd yeah, definitely explains why Evil Trace was dating Maren. Did anyone really believe he was legitimately interested in her?
It’s not all bad. At least Karen got some sweet ears out of the deal. :karen:
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by SpottedKitty »

I'm trying to remember... thinking back a few pages to Maren and Sythe coming into the Oasis Room, did we ever settle whether Maren's comment of "he never invited me here before" was about the estate or just the Oasis? I think it must be the estate itself she's never seen before, since she didn't know about the tables. And the creepy thing behind the rose seal definitely can't have seen her before. The thot plickens... :shock:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

amenon
Grand Templar

#19 Post by amenon »

Aww, shucks.

... possibly literally, too.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#20 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

This raises so many questions!
Like everyone else, I'm also super curious as to who these voices are.
It's pretty clear it's not Rose, I mean Rose has seen Maren already and didn't react strangely to her at all. In fact, I would suggest that Rose is unaware of Maren's role in Trace's plot. You'd think that if Rose knew, she's either be warning Maren to stay away from the tables or luring Maren into the forbidden room or just interacting with Maren in *some* unusual way. Not to mention this voice is not one entity, it seems to be two entities talking to each other. And the "voice bubbles" have a similar sort of design to the black smoke hallucination. The vibe I'm getting is that this is a collective of various entities, like Trace's "minions" or "demons" or "house elves", designed to do Trace's bidding. Like a quasi-sentient collective programmed by Trace to keep his estate in order. Maybe they take orders from Rose, but they also have their own agendas and programming that Rose is unaware of. I don't think they're real "people" though. It's almost like sentient manifestations of Trace's magical programming.

Whoever they are, they're real cockblocks xP
And yeah, as people have said, this puts Trace's relationship with Maren in a wayyyyyyyy darker light. Big yikes.
Just when we thought things are going to get interesting with the Templar and the wolves, suddenly a whole new plot element rears its ugly head... this is going to get nasty

imalbert
Master

#21 Post by imalbert »

Sythe, here is your chance to be brave, to prove yourself. Before you stands a genuine "Damsel in Distress". Go rescue her.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#22 Post by Bellhead »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 amRose as we’ve seen her so far is very much her own genuine personality as far as we know... she feels affection for Raine and carries on like she is intact (though she did that one time ask if the her she was being addresed as is ‘me’,foreshadowing potentially existing among other(s)). Maybe she has knowledge of them, she seems to be compartmentalized to herself though enough to be “whole”, but is able to “feel” around the estate like they can.
Uhh.. Come again? The only instance I remember that happening was back at breakfast, when Trace offered her a place at the table, and she refused out of social status.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#23 Post by Eclipse »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am Rose as we’ve seen her so far is very much her own genuine personality as far as we know... she feels affection for Raine and carries on like she is intact (though she did that one time ask if the her she was being addresed as is ‘me’,foreshadowing potentially existing among other(s)). Maybe she has knowledge of them, she seems to be compartmentalized to herself though enough to be “whole”, but is able to “feel” around the estate like they can.
I think she just asked "Me?" because she was surprised at Trace's concern for her well being, not as a hint that she has multiple personalities or anything. Again, probably a social status thing because Rose is used to being treated as a slave instead of a person.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#24 Post by AmigaDragon »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am
Cosmacelf wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:49 am Who or what is talking though?
Now who is this combinant entity? Parts of a single person? It sounds like a third party... the way it’s talking about serving its purpose carrying out the plan.

Rose as we’ve seen her so far is very much her own genuine personality as far as we know... she feels affection for Raine and carries on like she is intact (though she did that one time ask if the her she was being addresed as is ‘me’,foreshadowing potentially existing among other(s)). Maybe she has knowledge of them, she seems to be compartmentalized to herself though enough to be “whole”, but is able to “feel” around the estate like they can.
Who/what are they and how do they know Maren? She has never been here before.
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 am This raises so many questions!
Like everyone else, I'm also super curious as to who these voices are.
It's pretty clear it's not Rose, I mean Rose has seen Maren already and didn't react strangely to her at all. In fact, I would suggest that Rose is unaware of Maren's role in Trace's plot. You'd think that if Rose knew, she's either be warning Maren to stay away from the tables or luring Maren into the forbidden room or just interacting with Maren in *some* unusual way. Not to mention this voice is not one entity, it seems to be two entities talking to each other. And the "voice bubbles" have a similar sort of design to the black smoke hallucination. The vibe I'm getting is that this is a collective of various entities, like Trace's "minions" or "demons" or "house elves", designed to do Trace's bidding. Like a quasi-sentient collective programmed by Trace to keep his estate in order. Maybe they take orders from Rose, but they also have their own agendas and programming that Rose is unaware of. I don't think they're real "people" though. It's almost like sentient manifestations of Trace's magical programming.
Like a fractured computer AI.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by CrRAR »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:19 pm
CrRAR wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am Rose as we’ve seen her so far is very much her own genuine personality as far as we know... she feels affection for Raine and carries on like she is intact (though she did that one time ask if the her she was being addresed as is ‘me’,foreshadowing potentially existing among other(s)). Maybe she has knowledge of them, she seems to be compartmentalized to herself though enough to be “whole”, but is able to “feel” around the estate like they can.
I think she just asked "Me?" because she was surprised at Trace's concern for her well being, not as a hint that she has multiple personalities or anything. Again, probably a social status thing because Rose is used to being treated as a slave instead of a person.
At that point though she had just been unrestricted, the fact that she was suddenly overwhelmed enough to be disoriented indicates to me a bit of psychological disassociation. As if the rush of power for a moment, made her foreign to the idea of being a ‘me’. Just like she said, it was disorienting.

Spooky when you think about it that way, but yes on the surface still feels cordial.
Bellhead wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 am
CrRAR wrote:Rose as we’ve seen her so far is very much her own genuine personality as far as we know... she feels affection for Raine and carries on like she is intact (though she did that one time ask if the her she was being addresed as is ‘me’,foreshadowing potentially existing among other(s)). Maybe she has knowledge of them, she seems to be compartmentalized to herself though enough to be “whole”, but is able to “feel” around the estate like they can.
Uhh.. Come again? The only instance I remember that happening was back at breakfast, when Trace offered her a place at the table, and she refused out of social status.
Attention to Raine too don’t forget in the lessons she’s been giving her. They may be harsh, but she’s is training up an innocent floof to compete in a very hostile world. Also don’t forget Rose’s conversation with Euchre. Rose is still very much still herself it seems, she may be the tip of the iceberg or one face to the estate madness, but it is her with latent ulterior motives or not.
AmigaDragon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:37 pm Who/what are they and how do they know Maren? She has never been here before.
Whatever these entities are we know that Trace did some of his darkest work at the estate, it’s obvious whatever they are are serving Trace’s will, whether voluntary or not. If they’ve been stripped of their own will they’re as impartial, as mentioned, as an AI and are just executing the next step of a plan. Devoid of humanity. Wouldn’t matter who they even were. (though they do seem conversational enough)

Which also raises a question, if Maren were swapped... what would become of ‘her’. Would she be disgarded and ‘overwritten’, or... ‘stored’ somewhere? Spooky. (creepy rose-tank goes glug glug)

I do wonder though with Rose’s arrangement, she had some sentimental attachment to parts of Trace’s life (Saria) and Trace possibly used that to his advantage in incorpoating her to the estate... and now we know how he intended to use Maren... Trace had no qualms in acting as the devil doing a deal.

Just think, Rose wanted to be there, so he found her an appropriate purpose. Now imagine you not wanting to be part of Trace’s dark designs and he did anyway. We’re kind of seeing an example of that unfold right now with Maren.
Fight the power!

Pallais

#26 Post by Pallais »

I suspect we'll now find out "whatever's in that room on the third floor".

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#27 Post by CrRAR »

Pallais wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:45 pm I suspect we'll now find out "whatever's in that room on the third floor".
In Trace’s Estate 3rd floor room goes TO YOU!

or!

Sythe: *looks around* “Hey, wait maybe this isn’t MY room (dang, all those hallways all look so similar)

“H-hey... Maren... do you remember how many flights of stairs we climbed to get here?”

:shock:
Fight the power!

Ddraig
Templar Master

#28 Post by Ddraig »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 amRose as we’ve seen her so far is very much her own genuine personality as far as we know... she feels affection for Raine and carries on like she is intact (though she did that one time ask if the her she was being addresed as is ‘me’,foreshadowing potentially existing among other(s)). Maybe she has knowledge of them, she seems to be compartmentalized to herself though enough to be “whole”, but is able to “feel” around the estate like they can.
I don't read that as a questioning of sense of self, but more of surprise that Trace is asking after her well-being. Given what we know of evil!Trace, that doesn't seem too surprising to me. My read on the situation is that Trace would have, depending on how much he values Rose's connection to Saria, either A) completely rewritten Rose's personality to be subservient (obviously not the case), B) only adjusted her personality just enough to ensure his safety (doubtful, given the last panel on the page you linked, but still possible), or C) left her personality untouched (my current theory). In so doing, I don't see him making multiple copies of Rose - or, at least, I don't see him keeping previous copies - but I do see him attempting to recreate Saria with black magic and have what's in the Manor be his work-in-progress that was left behind when he lost his memories.

I am rather surprised that he hooked the thing - whatever it is - into the magic of the Manor, but evidence says otherwise
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#29 Post by Elemental Templar »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:45 am And suddenly why Trace went after Maren despite still being madly in love with Saria makes a lot of sense.
Confirmed!!!
Evil Trace was Trying to be Imhotep from The Mummy (1999)

"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

steelabjur
Council Member

#30 Post by steelabjur »

Is it just me, or are there bubbles behind the cracked red glass?