Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

The comic stuff here.

Moderators: avwolf, Tom

Message
Author
User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:30 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Tx.

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#16 Post by SirJahar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:20 pm

ZeroJinKui wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 pm

though, she feels like a bit of a traitor here, trying to get information on trace and his home like this... keith isn't poking his nose where it doesn't belong, and neither should she.
Spy's don't have an "off" switch. They're always in "SPY-MODE". Even when they quite clearly should turn it off.
Finally putting my DA Gallery in my signature.
Image
Reminder that I keep drawing requests open all the time, shoot me a PM.

User avatar
Templar Master
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:12 am
Location: Here, there and everywhere.

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#17 Post by Foxx Trotter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:09 am

Pesky, pesky... :mrgrin: Karen may be hard to shake off, Maddie.
Videre videnda.

User avatar
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:52 am
Location: Alternate Mekkan where Keidrans live long lives

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#18 Post by Hulk10 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 am

Mmm Karen made a dangerous mistake and maybe Madelyn isn't as young as she first seems. But I could be wrong. I just can't figure her out. Is she a spy or in the army or is she lying? And I don't like that I can't figure her out...…...
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Templar Master
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#19 Post by aitaituo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:57 am

Butterscotch wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:39 am
Speaking of subterfuge, Maddie IS a spy. It looks like she's trying to map out trace's manor. Is there any reason she'd be doing that for the group? If not, what would the Basitin isles want with Trace's manor?
My thought is she started just taking a look around then started on a map specifically because the house seems magically wrong.
Image

Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:28 am

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#20 Post by Ainoko Ironrose » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:51 am

Hulk10 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 am
Mmm Karen made a dangerous mistake and maybe Madelyn isn't as young as she first seems. But I could be wrong. I just can't figure her out. Is she a spy or in the army or is she lying? And I don't like that I can't figure her out...…...
It's been mentioned in the past on the ship when Maddie first appeared that she was in the intelligence division (I think). We do know one thing, Maddie is a princess and should not have stowed away on the ship before it headed out towards Edimere. I honestly think that Maddie is younger than than she told everyone. If anything, only Keith and the other Bastain might know her true age.

And Karen better watch out, she will be in the crosshairs of Maddie's subterfuge and pranks if she keeps insulting her.

Citizen
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#21 Post by Eclipse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 am

Ainoko Ironrose wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:51 am
It's been mentioned in the past on the ship when Maddie first appeared that she was in the intelligence division (I think). We do know one thing, Maddie is a princess and should not have stowed away on the ship before it headed out towards Edimere. I honestly think that Maddie is younger than than she told everyone. If anything, only Keith and the other Bastain might know her true age.

And Karen better watch out, she will be in the crosshairs of Maddie's subterfuge and pranks if she keeps insulting her.
Actually, Maddie isn't a princess. Tom mentioned that the Basitin's king isn't a monarchy, it's a military rank. If King Adelaide were to die, Maddie would not succeed her. She's just a lieutenant, she's far lower in rank than her mother, so she wouldn't even be considered, it's more likely the Master General or one of the other generals would succeed her as the new king.

At any rate, I doubt Maddie is doing this at the order of the Basitin military. King Adelaide didn't seem to be aware she was leaving, so unless she was acting, Maddie did this of her own volition. It's probably just her nature to spy on people and be aware of her surroundings.

Grand Templar
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#22 Post by Warrl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 am
Mmm Karen made a dangerous mistake and maybe Madelyn isn't as young as she first seems. But I could be wrong. I just can't figure her out. Is she a spy or in the army or is she lying? And I don't like that I can't figure her out...…...
While the Basitin kingdom was in turmoil after the simultaneous loss of at least two generals including the intelligence general, Maddie was an acceptable representative of the intelligence division to sit among the surviving generals as a judge at Keith's trial.

This implies that Maddie was either:
a.) the clearly-leading candidate for the new intelligence general (I'd bet against this - and if it WAS the case, she gave it up by leaving with Keith), or
b.) not among the contenders for the title, but of sufficiently high rank and reputation to be a suitable stand-in (as none of the contenders would likely consent to any of the other contenders filling that role). I don't think that simply being the king's daughter - in that society - would be sufficient rank and reputation.

Either way, she almost certainly is an officer in the military (intelligence division), as she claims. And a well-regarded one at that.

Also, so far she hasn't been shown snooping around. Hallways are not exactly private areas. The map she has could be drawn by observing the building from outside, and one or two rooms inside, counting doors as she walks the halls, and making reasonable assumptions.

User avatar
Master
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#23 Post by Ddraig » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Warrl wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:45 pm
Hulk10 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 am
Mmm Karen made a dangerous mistake and maybe Madelyn isn't as young as she first seems. But I could be wrong. I just can't figure her out. Is she a spy or in the army or is she lying? And I don't like that I can't figure her out...…...
While the Basitin kingdom was in turmoil after the simultaneous loss of at least two generals including the intelligence general, Maddie was an acceptable representative of the intelligence division to sit among the surviving generals as a judge at Keith's trial.

This implies that Maddie was either:
a.) the clearly-leading candidate for the new intelligence general (I'd bet against this - and if it WAS the case, she gave it up by leaving with Keith), or
b.) not among the contenders for the title, but of sufficiently high rank and reputation to be a suitable stand-in (as none of the contenders would likely consent to any of the other contenders filling that role). I don't think that simply being the king's daughter - in that society - would be sufficient rank and reputation.

Either way, she almost certainly is an officer in the military (intelligence division), as she claims. And a well-regarded one at that.

Also, so far she hasn't been shown snooping around. Hallways are not exactly private areas. The map she has could be drawn by observing the building from outside, and one or two rooms inside, counting doors as she walks the halls, and making reasonable assumptions.
Maddie didn't sit as judge, if I remember correctly, only as witness - and then that was just because she was who was available, she was the only one there. Her service in the Basitin military probably elevates the "worth" of her account of events (perhaps to that of being a "required official witness" of the Duel of Rank that Keith didn't realize happened). She was only there because she was in on Alaric's plan (thus the subterfuge about the "love letter" she gave Natani to give to Keith)

There was probably some underlying additional credence lent to her words due to her relation but not one that could be officially acknowledged ("You can't call the King's daughter a liar! She'd squash you flat! With a house!").
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

User avatar
Apprentice
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:40 am

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#24 Post by JohnTheWysard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 am
Is she a spy or in the army or is she lying?
Or all three?

User avatar
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:52 am
Location: Alternate Mekkan where Keidrans live long lives

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#25 Post by Hulk10 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:23 pm

JohnTheWysard wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 pm
Hulk10 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 am
Is she a spy or in the army or is she lying?
Or all three?
Hmmm good point.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Grand Templar
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#26 Post by Warrl » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:45 am

Ddraig wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 pm
Maddie didn't sit as judge, if I remember correctly, only as witness
Opening of the trial, there are five seats at that bench, arranged symmetrically. Maddie is on the (our) far right. The two on the left definitely participated in the discussion as judges, so presumably Maddie was seated as a judge; and the one in the center spoke as both presiding judge and a witness, so being a witness is no bar to being a judge.

New Citizen
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:46 am

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#27 Post by Shockwave07 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:38 am

SirJahar wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:20 pm
ZeroJinKui wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 pm

though, she feels like a bit of a traitor here, trying to get information on trace and his home like this... keith isn't poking his nose where it doesn't belong, and neither should she.
Spy's don't have an "off" switch. They're always in "SPY-MODE". Even when they quite clearly should turn it off.
Exactly. Want to find a Burn Notice quote that goes with it... But can't currently find the one I'm looking for...

Citizen
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#28 Post by Eclipse » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:57 am

Speaking of Maddie acting of her own volition, I'm beginning to wonder if Maddie has some sort of Western lineage, maybe her father or one of her mother's parents was a Western Basitin. As I stated earlier she seems to have gone off on her own, and Eastern Basitin are supposedly biologically compelled to follow orders, so that also calls into question if Maddie is also part Westerner. Her father doesn't really seem to be in the picture, and Adelaide herself doesn't seem to be quite as rigid as the rest of the Easterners, so it would make sense if she was involved with a Westerner in some way.

Either that or the Easterners' compulsion to follow orders is a load of bunk.

User avatar
Council Member
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 pm
Location: France

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#29 Post by BadJoke » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Strange. Basitins are very resilient against magic, yet sher seems vulnerable to whatever is modifying her perception... Either it's an "indirect effect", dark magic, something ultra powerful (draconic) or something you need to be magic sensitive to notice.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

User avatar
Master
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 am

Re: Comic for September 11, 2018: Madelyn Complex

#30 Post by Rafe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Remeber, this house has magic in it that can turn full blown magic-using Templars into farm animals. And it's so fast and undetectable that they jumped right into it without sensing a whiff of anything wrong.

Maddie might be better than most at finding and resisting such power, but this is some serious stuff going on here.

Post Reply